INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why asio?  (Read 2904 times)

BenAlex

• Recent member
Why asio?
« on: April 28, 2012, 09:11:50 am »

The wiki recommend that if I have a sound card with native asio support (which I have) then it's better to use this over wasapi. Is this due to speed and stability or the nature of the audio output?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Why asio?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 11:37:54 am »

Normally the ASIO output path will be more direct.

For example, Asus and Creative hardware require ASIO to avoid resampling.

Several other cards bypass driver audio effects with ASIO, but not with WASAPI.

However, many USB DACs work best with WASAPI - Event Style, and don't even have (or need) an ASIO driver.

So there aren't hard rules, since it varies by hardware and driver.  Our general guidelines are in the wiki: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Audio_Output_Modes
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

BenAlex

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 02:02:10 pm »

You might just have sold J River to me  8) I have a E-mu (Creative) card and foobar2000 can't handle ASIO at ALL without having a mentel breakdown.

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 03:37:06 pm »

I have used ASIO output with an E-MU 1212M PCI without issues on XP and Win7x64 through both Foobar2000 and MC (several versions). It's a great two channel sound card.

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 02:28:48 am »

I have an EMu 0204 USB.  It behaves best using ASIO.  Both in JRiver and Foobar.  Use the EMu ASIO driver, not ASIO4ALL.  The EMu trips up with sample rate changes when using WASAPI.

BenAlex

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 04:16:11 am »

I am indeed using the native asio driver. Don't even have asio4all installed. What buffer size are people using? Audio have a tendency to reduce it self to a bit-crushed death sound with asio in foobar, and in J River it has produced at least a couple of blue screens a different occasions.  :'(

Frobozz

• There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 05:20:10 am »

The blue screens may indicate that your audio drivers aren't installed properly.  I'd uninstall your driver then install the driver that is most current from the Creative support site.

JRiver Media Center can also display ASIO diagnostics.  Go to Tools >> Options >> Audio >> Audio Output.  Set Output mode to ASIO.  Then open the "Output mode settings..." dialog.  Check the box at the bottom for "Display diagnostics when starting ASIO".  The diagnostics may say something that helps.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 06:49:04 am »

I am indeed using the native asio driver. Don't even have asio4all installed. What buffer size are people using? Audio have a tendency to reduce it self to a bit-crushed death sound with asio in foobar, and in J River it has produced at least a couple of blue screens a different occasions.  :'(
Did you check the manufacturer for an update ASIO driver?  A blue screen is usually hardware / driver related.

BenAlex

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 11:01:07 am »

Well turns out the only reason I can use my card with windows 7 is because I use a beta driver - which was released in 2010 and then never developed further. I'm basically using old and abandoned tech. I guess I should be happy that it even works.   
Pages: [1]   Go Up