INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Migrating to a New Server  (Read 790 times)

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
Migrating to a New Server
« on: April 30, 2012, 06:15:35 am »

I currently run MC on a box running Windows Home Server 1.  I am in the process of commissioning a new server that will run WHS 2011.  I will move all of my media to the new server and then plan to install MC on the new box.  I've done a search but not found an answer as to how to move all my settings (views, playlists, custom tags, cover art etc) to the new MC installation and have it reference the media on the new server.
Am I right in thinking that if I export the library from the old installation it creates an XML file? Could I edit this so that paths now point to the new server and then import it to the new installation of MC?

Any hints and tips on how to migrate MC and my media to the new server will be gratefully received.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Migrating to a New Server
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 06:29:51 am »

Our wiki has a topic called "Moving Files'.

You might search for information about WHS.  Some versions can alter metadata.  I'm not sure about the current one.

Richard Martin

• World Citizen
Re: Migrating to a New Server
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 06:56:07 am »

Thanks Jim, I'll look at the Moving Files topic.
I haven't had any problems with WHS changing meta data, but on my new server all the Windows media sharing stuff will be turned off, so hopefully none will arise.
Pages: [1]   Go Up