INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Confused Zones vs. DLNA vs. ?  (Read 1191 times)

jaynyc

• World Citizen
Confused Zones vs. DLNA vs. ?
« on: May 02, 2012, 01:19:37 am »

Hi.  I think I've read all/most of the Wiki docs but am still confused.  Here is the scenario... In my LivingRoom, I have my main Windows7 desktop, with MC17, RME interface etc. connected to my main stereo system.  Works awesome, been doing this for years.  Now, I also want to hear the music from the LivingRoom in the Bedroom.  So I put a Lenovo PC in the bedroom with MC17 installed.  I will *never* want to select a track to play from the Bedroom, I just want the Bedroom computer to play whatever the LivingRoom is playing.  

#1  How do I accomplish this?  Is this Zones, DLNA, both, neither, something else?

#2  I had experimented with Zones previously and I noticed when sitting at the LivingRoom Windows7 machine, which I've been doing for years, that when I click to play a track it takes MUCH LONGER TO ACTUALLY START, because it seems like it is waiting for the other client (Lenovo PC).  Is there any way to prevent this delay from happening?

thanks
--jay

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Confused Zones vs. DLNA vs. ?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 06:35:52 am »

The bedroom would be a zone, in this case.  You also should read the topic on Zone Link.

jaynyc

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 10:12:08 am »

read about Zone Link....   in the context I have presented above, is it possible for the Lenovo PC in the bedroom to stay in perfect sync with the LivingRoom PC?  By perfect I mean perfect, ie: no drift whatsoever.   

In other words, can I have 2 computers with JRiver, one of which has the actual music library, play the same track in perfect sync, sustainably?

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 10:53:49 am »

My guess: you just have to try  :)

The bits travel a lot faster over the network than the sound waves travel through the air. Maybe if the music library was on the bedroom computer, the sound from there arrived the same time as sound coming from the livingroom computer if you were listening in the livingroom.

jaynyc

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 10:56:26 am »

ah, so are you saying there is essentially no "wait till all linked zones have the music and then play" so they are in perfect sync?

i am confused because when i have experimented with linking the zones, i experience a delay when playing a track (i click play but it takes 2 seconds maybe for the track to actually start).  i thought the reason for the delay would be to achieve perfect sync...

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 10:56:55 am »

You're going to want to either use long cable runs from the system in the living from to the system in the bedroom, or use something like Squeezebox's that do very accurate synching and use MC+Whitebear+LMS to control playback via DLNA zones in MC.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up