INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Black screen on channel change  (Read 3210 times)

raym

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Black screen on channel change
« on: May 02, 2012, 09:06:58 pm »

Occasionally, when I tune into a channel or change channels, I get audio ok but a black screen. The only fix is to switch to another channel and back again, or re-start TV.

Using RO with EVR (for live TV).

Log file attached.

RKM Smart Home - www.rkmsmarthome.com.au
Z-Wave Home Automation

imugli

• MC Beta Team
Re: Black screen on channel change
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 05:47:21 am »

Raym, are you in Oz?

This happens if I'm using RO Std, start TV on a channel with mpeg-2 audio, then change to an ac3 channel (eg. Channel 1).

The only way I've been able to get around it is to use AC3Filter and VMR9, but this seems to be causing other issues (dropped frames and tearing on channel 1, for instance).

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 06:04:16 pm »

Yeah in oz and already using ac3filter but for me, it's got nothing to do with the filters or renderers used. It may indeed have something to do with the streams as it seems to occur more frequently when i start with a HD channel and try to switch to another (that may not necessarrily use AC3 audio).

Hopefully Yaobing will make sense of this from my log.
Z-Wave Home Automation

csy

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 10:03:43 pm »

I've had similiar problems but with H.264 video here in NZ, and the problem exists when using RO + EVR (RO standard) with hardware acceleration unticked (ticked causes different problems).  I tracked the problem (in my case) to the LAV video decoder.  I solved the problem by using the 'Microsoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder' and ticked hardware acceleration.  This uses the WMC video decoder, and I can now channel change without any black screens plus I'm now using hardware DXVA deinterlacing which has sharpened interlaced video.

I'm not sure if my issue is the same as yours, but you may want to experiment with changing the video decoder.

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 01:51:33 am »

Thanks for the tip! Looks like you are onto something here. I've switched to the MS decoder for jtv (despite the fact I was sure I'd tried this previously) and so far, I have not been able to reproduce the issue.

JRiver or Nev may want to investigate further though, since it requires users to break the RO "out-of-the-box" config.
Z-Wave Home Automation

CountryBumkin

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 04:37:21 am »

Are you using the custom filters for "just" for .ts and .jtv files (playback)? Meaning did you set up it up to use the MS DTV-DVD Video Decoder for TV only and leave EVR (or MadVR) for playback of the other formats?

raym

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 08:08:13 am »

Are you using the custom filters for "just" for .ts and .jtv files (playback)? Meaning did you set up it up to use the MS DTV-DVD Video Decoder for TV only and leave EVR (or MadVR) for playback of the other formats?

Yes.
Z-Wave Home Automation

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 07:30:33 pm »

I've done this as well and all looks good.

Thanks, CSY.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up