INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WSJ Says Google Will Sell Multiple Nexus Devices Direct  (Read 1616 times)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
WSJ Says Google Will Sell Multiple Nexus Devices Direct
« on: May 15, 2012, 06:28:53 pm »

According to the Wall Street Journal, Google is ".... planning to partner with a variety of OEMs (rather than just one at a time) in order to have up to five Pure Google (read: Nexus) devices available at once. Better still, the whole stable will ship with Android 5.0 (Jelly Bean) and will be sold directly from Google in unlocked form to consumers in America, Europe and Asia."

Article at Engadget

bwaldron

• World Citizen
Re: WSJ Says Google Will Sell Multiple Nexus Devices Direct
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 05:16:37 am »

They tried this once and failed, though the market has changed since then. I'm skeptical -- support for consumers (never mind hardware) has never been one of Google's strengths. I do like having Android "reference" devices more available. This will be interesting.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: WSJ Says Google Will Sell Multiple Nexus Devices Direct
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 06:27:39 am »

They tried this once and failed, though the market has changed since then. I'm skeptical -- support for consumers (never mind hardware) has never been one of Google's strengths. I do like having Android "reference" devices more available. This will be interesting.
I don't think they failed with the devices they offered.  They just didn't need to sell them because Android took off with so many manufacturers.  Their unlocked devices made it easy for us to get started.

It would not be surprising to see them pop up as a carrier.  Or buy Sprint.
Pages: [1]   Go Up