DDR-1600
DDR-1866
HTPC with RO
HTPC with ROHQ, AV Sync
HTPC with ROHQ, AV Sync and Convolution up to 8 channels
Gamer yes
Gamer no

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Optimal RAM size for a JRiver HTPC  (Read 25966 times)

RC23

• World Citizen
Optimal RAM size for a JRiver HTPC
« on: May 06, 2012, 09:09:11 am »

I have seen JRiver HTPC´s with up to 16GB RAM. A common HTPC works with 4GB. But JRiver offers with Red October HQ (ROHQ), AV Sync and Convolution a well matched solution for video an audio.

With how much RAM do you fit your HTPC? Please give 4 votes für RAM size, RAM kind, RO or ROHQ, Audio Convolution and if the HTPC is used for games. Please write in the thread about your experiences with RAM load in context with used programs.

My coming HTPC will be equipped with following:

- SilverStone GD07 (soon coming on market) HTPC case for HiFi rack

- MSI Z77A-G45 mainboard

- i5-3570 Ivy CPU with Noctua NH-U9B CPU cooler

- TBS-6922 DVB-S2 HDTV card

- Samsung SSD 470 Series 64GB SSD

- Hitachi Travelstar 5K1000 1TB HDD

- Western Digital WD20EARS 2TB HDD

- LG LG BH10LS30 Blu-ray / DVD

- RME Fireface UC via USB as external soundcard

- OS Windows 7 PRO 64Bit

Alternativ to Intel´s HD4000 I can work with a MSI N450 GTS Cyclone to test which is the better solution.

My HTPC will be a flexible machine for:  

- video encoding, video playing incl. AV Sync for Home Cinema

- HDTV tuner with DVBviewer inclusive recording

- 8 channel JRiver Convolution and active crossover by Acourate for DIY loudspeakers

RC23

• World Citizen
Re: Optimal RAM size for a JRiver HTPC
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 01:17:57 pm »

The both voters until now have decided for 4 GB with ROHQ and AV Sync. I had assumed - without practical experience with JRiver - that 8 GB is necessary for ROHQ and AV Sync plus Convolution.

RAM with DDR3-1333 is very sufficient for Sandy Bridge or most all CPU´s. With the upcoming Ivy CPU´s DDR3-1600 or perhaps DDR3-1866 are a tuning possibilty.

I will wait for other voters to get more feedback. Well please vote!

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 01:20:06 pm »

MC17 is a 32-bit application, which means itself is limited to just north of 2GB of memory (or 4GB with some trickery)
Not to mention that playback doesn't even need that much.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 01:57:09 pm »

MC17 is a 32-bit application, which means itself is limited to just north of 2GB of memory (or 4GB with some trickery)

Interesting info that MC17 do not get no more than 2GB RAM. I had assumed that by using the AV Sync function a lot of audio or video data has to be saved into RAM. Then convolution is also a good amont of audio data which has to be buffered before the data will be sent to output.

If RAM is not the bottle neck than the CPU speed has a big share in the result. And so we get CPU´s like Sandy or Ivy Bridge with 3 or more GHz to let MC17 optimal work with all DSP´s.

Please apologize my wooden English.  ;)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 02:29:32 pm »

My HTPC is an ASRock Nettop 3D (152B). It's new dual core atom with HT. 4GB RAM and Windows 7 32bit (3.44GB usable).

I may upgrade it to 64-bit as I do have a license for it but the last time it ran 64-bit it didn't feel as smooth as it does with 32-bit. Just need to figure out why that was (I suspect paging).

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 02:50:12 pm »

My existing PC works with Win XP 32bit. Now I am standing in front of the decision whether to rest with Win XP or to go with Win 7, whereupon there are a 32 and 64bit version of Win 7.

My initial idea with Win 7 64bit PRO was a RAM size of 8GB. But after the previous thread I will go with 4GB DDR3-1600 RAM which implies 3.2 GB under Win XP 32bit.

My RME Fireface UC (external soundcard) doesn´t like WASAPI. The right solution here is ASIO and ASIO comes out of the Win XP age but also works with Win 7.

Is it maybe a good idea to rest with Win XP?

In another thread I have read that the AERO function of Win 7 solves video problems with tearing. That´s right? I am swinging between Win XP and Win 7. Which is the better way? Or is Win 7 32bit the best solution?

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 02:52:02 am »

I wouldn't use XP for anything anymore these days.
What you can do with XP, you can also do with 7 (assuming you don't run ancient hardware that doesn't have 7 drivers)

Regarding memory, considering how cheap memory is these days, you might as well go with 8GB and have some headroom to work with.
Of course that means you should get 64-bit Windows, and not 32-bit.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2012, 01:56:56 pm »

The reason why I adhere to Win XP is "Frequency Allocator", a software for active cross-over for my DIY loudspeakers.

Then I will build a dual boot system with Win XP and Win 7 - 32 or 64bit ? - to compare the results with JRiver.

I have learned:

Ergo: 32bit and less than 2GB RAM are necessary.

I am not a gamer. Which software do you use with a demand of more than 3GB RAM?

I think CPU speed is the limiting factor to handle DSPs.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2012, 03:06:16 pm »

The reason why I adhere to Win XP is "Frequency Allocator", a software for active cross-over for my DIY loudspeakers.
Allocator works fine as a VST plugin in JRiver on Windows 7. Matt also just fixed the load/save issue.

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2012, 03:25:44 pm »

Allocator works fine as a VST plugin in JRiver on Windows 7. Matt also just fixed the load/save issue.

Good news. I have the feeling that you are attracting me to Win 7 ... 32 or 64Bit ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 06:55:31 pm »

There's absolutely no reason to go with 32-bit Windows 7 on a newish machine that supports it.

Windows 7 64-bit is great.  It is everything that the 32-bit version is, but more flexible should you ever want to upgrade your RAM above 4GB.  Plus, it is what MC is developed on, so there's that.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 12:42:57 am »

Ergo: 32bit and less than 2GB RAM are necessary.
Even when MC may only use up to 2GB of RAM, you should always have some free RAM for your OS.
I wouldn't consider running any system with less then 4GB these days. If i use it actively for more then just one media player, i would even demand 8.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up