INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mkvs not playing after upgrade from MC 16 - can't specify audio playback device  (Read 1143 times)

oneklakes

• Recent member

Hi All:

Sorry if this was answered before but I did a search but didn't find anything.

I have a bunch of blu-rays that I converted to mkv with either DTS-MA or Dolby HD. They played fine in MC 16 using Red October HQ but won't play in MC 17.

I think the problem is that I need to specify the audio playback device (ATI 5670 - via bitstream HDMI to my Denon AVR) for video files which is different from the audio playback device for my audio files (Auzen X-Merdien 7.1). In MC 16 there was separate option to do this: Tools/Options/Advanced/Audio Playback Device. This option is no longer available in MC 17.

If this option just got moved, I'd be grateful to someone letting me know where it is now or if this got changed completely, then I need some help setting everything up again. Thanks in advance.

oneklakes.

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird

It has moved:

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68743
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=69493

An alternative method would be to use the zones features and play the audio and video files on separate zones (each zone can be set to use a different audio device). Then you would be able to have separately set DSP and playback options for audio and video.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

oneklakes

• Recent member

Alex:

Thanks for the quick response.

Actually I tried the method described in the first thread you cited before posting (go to Tools > Options > Video > and set Video Mode to Advanced - Custom. Then click "Custom Video mode settings" and select either Red October or Red October HQ. Add a rule and set the type to Audio Renderer. Now select your audio renderer.) When I tried it before, my ATI 5670 didn't show up. I just rebooted and now it's there and things are working.

Regarding the second thread you mentioned, I saw that Matt also recommended setting up a separate zone v. setting up a custom audio renderer. I realize doing so results in the loss of all DSP but since I don't use any of the DSP features, is there any other reason why it's better to go with a separate zone?

Thanks again for your help.

oneklakes

mbagge

• Galactic Citizen

When you turn off your TV and/or your Denon, Windows reconfigures itself because it looses display devices and audio devices. When using a HDMI connection, we get this 'wonderfull' new protocol, EDID, which tells everything about what is at the other end of the cable.

Try to have your TV and AVR turned on and do the test again.

I know you can get a box to put in the HDMI cable that remembers what device capabilities are on the other end and that prevents Windows from reconfiguring.
Pages: [1]   Go Up