INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to compare ripped tracks with the original Audio CD source?  (Read 1079 times)

AndreaT

• World Citizen

Hi Folks, I am testing MC 17 using the demo last build .144 and one of the first matter I have to do is to verify how good is the ripping capability of MC 17.

Anybody knows how I can compare APE and FLAC generated rips with my original Audio CD used?

Many thanks
Regards
Andrea

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: How to compare ripped tracks with the original Audio CD source?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 12:57:38 pm »

If you use secure ripping (the default), you'll get a report after the rip telling you if it was perfect.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

AndreaT

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 03:19:02 am »

Dear Matt,

yes, thanks, I know that, but I want to know if it is possible to do a "later time" comparison.

In my case, I ripped some CDs for testing but I didn't care about the "final report", so I don't know what happened.

As there any command or external tool to do what I would?

Thanks and regards,
Andrea

Frobozz

• Citizen of the Universe
  • There is a small mailbox here.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 05:52:37 am »

You can try using CUETools.  It can verify a rip after the fact.  But be aware that it will flag some false errors or false bad rips due to things like how different rippers handle pre-gaps and offsets.  It will flag some rips done by JRiver Media Center as bad even though they are perfectly good just because offsets are handled differently.

Since you likely don't have the CUE files to go along with the rips you can have CUETools generate a CUE sheet.  It won't be a true CUE sheet for the CD.  It will be a made up one that is missing proper gap info.  But it will work, mostly.  You may get some false failures though because of that.

JRiver Media Center does a very good and accurate job of ripping.  It will catch and correct read errors that non-secure rippers will miss.  I wouldn't worry as long as you are using a CD drive that is good at ripping and the CDs are in reasonable condition.

AndreaT

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 11:21:36 am »

Dear Frobozz,

thanks  for you suggestion. Tomorrow I will try it.
Today I used the Foobar "Bit Comparator" tool, and it is nice and quick to use.

Kind regards,
Andrea.
Pages: [1]   Go Up