INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting study on the effects of file sharing  (Read 937 times)

Bryan

• World Citizen
Interesting study on the effects of file sharing
« on: May 03, 2002, 12:46:58 pm »

Here's an interesting article on CNET today that appears to contradict the excuse the music industry has been using as blame for lower music sales recently...   I've believed this all along and finally there's a shred of evidence that file swapping actually helps music sales as opposed to harming it.    It's a short and interesting read...  Hope you enjoy..

Study: File sharing boosts music sales

By John Borland
Staff Writer, CNET News.com
May 3, 2002, 12:40 PM PT

Hundreds of millions of songs may illegally trade hands online every month, but file swapping may actually be causing people to spend more money on music, according to a new research report.

http://news.com.com/2100-1023-898813.html?legacy=cnet&tag=pt.msnbc.feed..ne_9834315

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:Interesting study on the effects of file sharing
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2002, 03:12:21 pm »

Thanks for the link.  Interesting article.  Their results fit very well with ours.

Theirs:

"A study released this week by Jupiter Research reports that about 34 percent of veteran file swappers say they are spending more on music than they did before they started downloading files. About 14 percent of heavy file traders say they now spend less on music. "

Ours:
More purchases: 37%
Fewer purchases: 17%

Our survey is the one in the upper left hand corner of our home page at:

http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/index.html

So we can all relax now because we must be normal.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2002, 06:06:28 pm »

My own personal experience : I downloaded primarily music that you just couldn't find anywhere (mostly music that I'm too embarrased to admit that I still listen to that also hasn't penetrated too deep into the respectable category that's called "classic rock" - think 80's Next Page ). Newer stuff that I found and liked would generally prompt me to go buy the CD.

However, since the RIAA has begun their strongarm tactics that started affecting my ability to listen to music I legally purchase in the manner I see fit, I have purchased 0 CD's and relish every song I download. The only real voice we have is with our money, and they're getting my vote as loudly as I can give it.

zevele1

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2002, 04:30:58 am »

I can tell you that Charlemagne8|PLS|Mhorton|PLS|audiogalazy cost me money.....

Here a link to producer Albini site.It is long reading but very good,To make short;the band got $14.000 when the label got $710.000.........
http://www.negativland.com/albini

Poison Dan

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2002, 05:12:21 am »

Great report, and I can certainly confirm these results.

I use file sharing quite a bit (mostly DC), and I think it's an excellent try-before-you-buy method. I definately buy more CDs because of the file sharing: I discover a lot of really good music, and when I think a CD is really good, I'm always tempted to buy it.

zevele1

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2002, 05:25:58 am »

not so easy not to buy records.From a moral point of vue i mean
One of the band Carolus8 pointed me to, gives away full concerts to download,and they have they own label.It is just only fair to support them,cause i really love them.I got most of they songs on AudioG,but i fell i have to buy they records
I found another band who gives away they 2 albums on free mp3.And not only 128kps,but vrb 192kps if you want.Beside this you can buy they cds.I will not cause i have the postage on the top of it,and i am not that mad about they music.You can also send them money.I sent them $5 in a letter
But there is a kind of indee-bands i will never give money to: the ones who sell an auto-produced cd at Tower price,means $15 -$18.This ones i will keep the downloaded mp3 from AudioG,and,beside it i will say around me that they music is no good,even if it is not true

On the top of it,there is another problem.If you buy your music from a private shop and many stop to buy because of all the mess with label.This shop will close one day or another.And you will have to buy all by mail.Not a problem for you in USA,but for people like me yes it is
Two years ago i found most of my want list on Ebay,one by one most of the time

Now you can believe me or not,BUT IN ONE YEAR I SPENT MORE ON POSTAGE  than a Tel-Aviv-London-Tel-Aviv ticket fly.I mean on El-Al,not a charter.....

A question:i would like to buy some stuff from mp3.com.Do you know if the bands really get money from it?Or it is just a rip-of?
I ask because i have friends,Useless ID, who never get money from mp3.com.In an other hand they do not have music to sell on it,so i do not know if the system is fair to artists

By the way,if you download mp3 from IUMA[?],the band get 5 cents for each download.In principe,they get money as well for the same on mp3.com.It can be fair to check for a band on both places before running a Napster clone
Pages: [1]   Go Up