INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: red October HQ black levels  (Read 1586 times)

vairulez

• World Citizen
red October HQ black levels
« on: May 11, 2012, 08:06:41 am »

can anybody tell me how to have proper black levels with an nvidia card and red october hd.
I have just changed my graphic card (GTX 550TI) and I am trying some new settings (hdmi ycbr444 or RVB) and I am no really sure what comes out of red october regardings levels.
any help is appreciated
HTPC : Dell workstation, windows 10, GT 1030, Lynx Two B
zone 1 : 2 Chevin Research Q6 + DIY speakers
zone 2 : Lake People G93 + HD650
zone 3 : 2 yamaha HS80M

svinks

• Recent member
Re: red October HQ black levels
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 11:59:37 am »

Hi,

I'm also using RO HQ, and for HDMI I use Full RVB 4:4:4.
Look there for information http://www.homecinema-hd.com/astuces_en.html

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 04:44:47 pm »

Start with a the instructions and test pattern like AVSHD 709, 2-APL Clipping and it will show you what is happening under 16 (Black) and over 235 (White).  http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496
JRiver CEO Elect

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 07:21:20 am »

I was never able to get nVidia to output 0-255 over HDMI if it saw a TV As the connected monitor. At least as of last year there was a fundemental driver level issue that could not be resolved. Had to switch to ATI here to get proper black levels.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 07:33:53 am »

I was never able to get nVidia to output 0-255 over HDMI if it saw a TV As the connected monitor. At least as of last year there was a fundemental driver level issue that could not be resolved. Had to switch to ATI here to get proper black levels.

Its easy enough to resolve with NVIDIA.
Either you just create a custom resolution for all the resolutions you need, then they'll be fullrange, or you have to add a slight modification to the installers .inf file that writes a special registry key that toggles all HDMI connections to full range. Both methods are well documented on sources like AVSForum and work quite well.

Granted, an option in the control panel would be an awesome edition, but by no means its a reason to buy new hardware.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 05:26:17 pm »

Its easy enough to resolve with NVIDIA.
Either you just create a custom resolution for all the resolutions you need, then they'll be fullrange, or you have to add a slight modification to the installers .inf file that writes a special registry key that toggles all HDMI connections to full range. Both methods are well documented on sources like AVSForum and work quite well.

Granted, an option in the control panel would be an awesome edition, but by no means its a reason to buy new hardware.

In my case, the only option that MIGHT have worked was the custom resolution route - but given that my display device that needs the full range RGB is a CRT, that was not a reasonable solution (for me) given that support for correct CRT timings has slowly dwindled back to an arcane science and was beyond my limited time left to return the nVidia card and get the ATI.  I had all kinds of help from the AVSforum group, but nothing would give correct output for my equipment.

I tried the custom .inf route, the modified EDID route, etc, etc, etc.  There was no way (at the time and with the time I had available) to get the card to output BOTH full range RGB video and HDMI audio out over the HDMI connection at the same time.  I either got correct black levels and no audio, or incorrect black levels and audio.  When I contacted nVidia about it, they acknowledged that issue was a driver level issue that their engineers were aware of but had no plans to fix.

In my limited experience, the current ATI stuff 'just works' with full range RGB, while the nVidia and Intel stuff does not 'just work'.  IMHO, given how cheap graphics cards are for HTPC use -$100 bucks or so to get something that 'just works' is money well spent if the 'fixes' for the nVidia issues aren't working after a few hours of effort (unless you have to have CUDA).
Pages: [1]   Go Up