INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: playlists not importing or syncing  (Read 3093 times)

jimf847

playlists not importing or syncing
« on: May 14, 2012, 03:26:21 pm »

Need a little help for a newbie: syncing libraries between two computers, authentication, auto sync turned on. Audio files import to the library on computer "B" but playlists are not even though I've checked "Playlists" on the import type dialogue. Also, while I know where the playlists are on computer "A" i cannot see the path because the AppData folder is hidden??? I've experimented with exporting a playlist to a desktop folder on computer "a" then importing that folder on computer "b" and while the playlist name imports, the are no song names in the playlist? The playlist works fine on computer "a". Either I'm missing something or not watching the correct path (what's teh correct path for playlists?). This is true whether i use a single import or config auto-import.Any help appreciated.

goodlistener

• Recent member
Re: playlists not importing or syncing
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2012, 12:23:00 am »

I am having a similar problem.  I have MJ 16 on Computer A where playlists work perfectly.  I exported all of the playlists on computer A to an external hard drive and then imported them to computer B running MJ 17.  As the previous poster reports, the names of all of the playlists from computer A appear in the playlist list on computer B but the song names do not appear and a "nothing to play" message appears when I try to play a playlist. 

What do I need to do to import my play lists from Computer A to computer B?

Thanks.

mabes

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 09:53:05 am »

I also can't sync. Both computers Win 7, both MC17.  From the first post I assume it is not necessary to export and then import, but just sync.

Hank

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 10:48:22 pm »

I can't sync with my other machine either in Media Center 17. Under MC15, everything worked fine. Is there something I have to change or do differently from the way I would sync under MC 15? It finds my other machine, and ten seconds later comes back with no updates.

Thank you,

Hank

Hank

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 11:09:34 pm »

I just tried adding my other computer as a device to sync with. That seemed logical, but it also didn't work. Can you sync between two computers anymore in MC17?

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2012, 08:10:21 am »

Anybody have an answer to questions by multiple frustrated users?

I am building my library and playlists now on one machine and wish to import everything once completed onto another machine, the files will be located on a network hard drive. i am going to take a stab at the answer based on another post I read. When exporting a Playlist to another computer, you need to make sure that location of the music files is  the correct. Seem plausible?

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2012, 09:46:44 am »

Are you using Library Server for sharing your MC library?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2012, 08:35:29 pm »

Yes I will be using library server

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2012, 09:39:19 am »

Yes I will be using library server
Then you don't need to "import everything once completed onto another machine".  The first machine that you are building your library and playlists on is your library server.  On another machine, just connect to the library on the server and all your media and playlists will be available. You don't need to do any importing on the clients.

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 05:53:27 pm »

OK I undestand that, but all my music is on my office PC upstairs. My plan is to move it onto my network drive that is hardwired to my router. This way I can use my PC downstairs as the server and connect vis DAC to my HiFi.

I read and have tried the rename/replace function to move files onto this drive. All seemed to work though I noticed that it did not create the named folder it was in when it moved over to the network drive. I suppose this doesn't matter since MC has a much better of tracking files.

It is my understanding that once I move my library to the external drive, that I will be able to access playlists & files from any computer. Keep the office shut down and just run home PC for HiFi sound.

I load new music from my office all the time and can send to the HD. I was wondering if there is a way to create a mirror image of files & MC preferences incase my HD fails, I have an immediate backup.?

Hank

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 03:25:27 pm »

I need to duplicate all the files and playlists from my main machine to my laptop so I can DJ standalone. Syncing used to work on Version 15 very simply. How can I do the same thing in Version 17?

Thank you,

Hank

joetiii

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 04:33:39 pm »

I need to duplicate all the files and playlists from my main machine to my laptop so I can DJ standalone. Syncing used to work on Version 15 very simply. How can I do the same thing in Version 17?

Thank you,

Hank

Hank what I did to share my files is go to Tools, Options, Media Network and click Use media network to share this library. this does require you keep your seerver PC on while accessing files. However, now that I see you want to do standalone DJing, I see an option to sync files in my main library. If yours does not have a sync option, perhaps turning on wedia share will enable it.

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2012, 12:56:31 pm »

Yes, as long as you have Media Network sharing enabled for your main computer (Options/Media network/Use Media Network...), on your client you should be able to use  File/Library/Sync Library...  to sync up files and playlists.

Hank

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2012, 02:14:04 pm »

Thanks for the replies!

I still can't sync my laptop with my main computer.

- My main PC shows up as the Library server.
- My main PC TCPIP port is 52199
- MY laptop TCPIP is 52198
- On the Laptop, Under Tools/Options/Media Network "Use Media Network to share..." is on as well as Client Options/Auto sync with server.

On the laptop, when I click on File/Library/Sync Library a window opens with:  "Connecting to Server... please wait."
results in "Complete (0:10) with nothing transfered :(

What am I missing?

Thank you again,

Hank

Hank

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 12:31:52 pm »

Here's and update.

The only way that I could sync my laptop with my main machine, and physically transfer the files, was to make the laptop look like a Handheld device. "Sync Handheld" in the Action window of my main machine worked after setting up the Laptop [handheld] device in Options. It uploaded the files fully. Unfortunately the playlists didn't transfer even though they were selected in Options.

I'm still confused why "Sync" [downloading] worked so well (files and playlists) in Version 15 and before while Version 17 won't sync to my laptop anymore.

Does anyone have any insight into this?

Thank you for your help.

Hank
Pages: [1]   Go Up