INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How Can I Edit Theater View TV Guide Listing  (Read 4053 times)

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
  • True wisdom is in knowing you know nothing
How Can I Edit Theater View TV Guide Listing
« on: May 14, 2012, 04:22:22 pm »

Can anyone advise how I can show only the channels I require in the TV Guide presented in Theater View?

So far I have made a TV smart list and deleted all the channels I do not wish to show up.

I have also edited the channel list under Drives/Devices/TV/Options/Edit Channel List.

Alas, the Guide has not changed :(

What can I do to only show a restricted channel list
The Future is Remote!

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
Re: How Can I Edit Theater View TV Guide Listing
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 03:39:33 pm »

This might help:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71255.0

Thanks Matt

As you say, presently a bit convoluted but returns the desired result, well almost!

I am still getting one channel that is not even listed and missing a channel that is!

Any  ideas?

BTW I particularly like that the guide now opens in the correct time frame!
The Future is Remote!

NickF

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 05:06:04 pm »

I am still getting one channel that is not even listed and missing a channel that is!

Any  ideas?
Are your keywords for the channel spelled correctly?

Does the channel have guide data associated with it?  Did it appear in the guide before you did Matt's change?

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 02:39:48 am »

Are your keywords for the channel spelled correctly?

Does the channel have guide data associated with it?  Did it appear in the guide before you did Matt's change?

Nick.

Since I only wanted one list I had previously deleted all un-wanted channels using a smartlist so when I created a new smartlist with Matt's instructions, only the channels I had left from earlier showed up.  I set all channels simultaneously to 'Favourite' using a paste function.

Perhaps I need to start from scratch without actually deleting channels?
The Future is Remote!

NickF

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 04:57:34 am »

As far as I know, there are three criteria for the channels showing up in the guide:

1.  Media Type = TV,
2.  there must be a valid entry in the TV XMLTV ID field and guide data loaded
3.  The channel Keyword(s) match the value in Matt's filter expression.

Does your missing channel have all these set correctly?

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 12:49:54 pm »

As far as I know, there are three criteria for the channels showing up in the guide:

1.  Media Type = TV,
2.  there must be a valid entry in the TV XMLTV ID field and guide data loaded
3.  The channel Keyword(s) match the value in Matt's filter expression.

Does your missing channel have all these set correctly?

Nick.

Nick: Thank you for your pointers, it appears that the Bloomberg channel does not have an XMLTV ID Field!

I suspect the other missing channels have the same issue.
Do you know how the field gets filled? The channel is viewable without the filtering being applied.

Chris
The Future is Remote!

NickF

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 02:13:25 pm »

When you set up the Guide, are you using the new "Download EPG Automatically" option?  When you get the "Load Program Guide" window, scroll down the list of channels and find the channels with no XMLTV ID and look closely at the name string.  What usually happens in these cases is that the name used by the guide provider is slightly different so the match fails.  Click on the name and scroll down the guide names and find the one you think matches and select it.  It should now be linked.  To avoid this happening again, you can change the channel name in "Edit Channel List" so that it exactly matches the name used by the guide source.

I have suggested to Yaobing that we need some fuzzy matching to get over these matching failures.

Nick.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 01:59:13 am »

Seems the ID is missing due to the channel guide not including the 'Bloomberg'.  Do you know if guide information can be taken from multiple sources?

We have now solved why channels are missing but not why the channel 'Dave' appears when it is not marked as a favorite?

BTW I have the same RME audio board connected by both differential analogue and digital (fibre) through a Denon AVP and was surprised to find that my HDMI sound via an AMD 6670 blew them both away :o
The Future is Remote!

NickF

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 02:44:20 am »

Seems the ID is missing due to the channel guide not including the 'Bloomberg'.  Do you know if guide information can be taken from multiple sources?
Whilst I haven't found this documented anywhere, I believe you can.  I use two guide sources, one for DVB-T and another for DVB-S.  I have even used three where some DVB-S channels weren't covered by the primary DVB-S guide source.

We have now solved why channels are missing but not why the channel 'Dave' appears when it is not marked as a favorite?
Is Dave the only channel not marked as a favorite?  If so, I suspect there is an error in the filter expression.

BTW I have the same RME audio board connected by both differential analogue and digital (fibre) through a Denon AVP and was surprised to find that my HDMI sound via an AMD 6670 blew them both away :o
Now I'm upset!  I did a comparison of SPDIF into the Denon compared with analogue and found the RME DAC to be superior.  I don't understand why HDMI should be better.  ?

Nick.

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 03:01:10 am »

Whilst I haven't found this documented anywhere, I believe you can.  I use two guide sources, one for DVB-T and another for DVB-S.  I have even used three where some DVB-S channels weren't covered by the primary DVB-S guide source.
hey Nick,
how did you do this? I think I have a very similar TV setup to you.

SBR

NickF

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 03:38:34 am »

Hi Sandy,
I run the Load Program Guide process several times and use two or three guide sources.  I do an auto match the first time which covers the majority of channels.  On another run, I choose the relevant guide source then manually match the channel name to the guide source name for those channels which didn't get matched automatically.  It's a bit tedious.  Minor variations in name strings are a PITA.

I'm not sure what goes on behind the scenes.  Perhaps Yaobing can help here.  I assume that if there is a XMLTV ID against each channel, the guide will be updated.  I also assume that the mc2xml service will find the guide data from multiple sources.

One irritating behaviour at present is that, where you have multiple channels with the same name, MC will only load guide data for one of them from the same source.  This means that you have to choose different sources (different XMLTV IDs) to get them populated.

This whole process needs to be much more reliable and simple.  I don't know how WMC does it but it just works.  I think they have their own guide database.

Nick.

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 03:42:59 am »

Is Dave the only channel not marked as a favorite?  If so, I suspect there is an error in the filter expression.
Now I'm upset!  I did a comparison of SPDIF into the Denon compared with analogue and found the RME DAC to be superior.  I don't understand why HDMI should be better.  ?

Nick.

I have many (most) un-marked with blank keyword but Dave is the only channel that pops up that is not marked.

I will try and find a guide source for Bloomberg using the manual method which I assume is how you have achieved having both terrestrial and satellite guides in place.

I have known for a few years that a fibre digital interconnect interferes with sound quality but never expected such a staggering improvement using HDMI, many enthusiast swear by using a USB interface to a high end DAC but I beleive I have now found the ultimate solution.  A fibre glass connection can seem bright at times and the balanced analogue input sounds smooth but seems to my ear to lack dynamic range.  HDMI to my ear gives the best of both worlds and my golden ear visitors agree.  Did you have your AVC updated to use the latest Audyssey?  This was another well worth while improvement.
The Future is Remote!

Beamer

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 03:47:50 am »

One irritating behaviour at present is that, where you have multiple channels with the same name, MC will only load guide data for one of them from the same source.  This means that you have to choose different sources (different XMLTV IDs) to get them populated.

Nick.

I see this issue with the Channel E4 and e4, only one of them is displayed without filtering.  I agree with your sentiment entirley, the guide setup is way to complicated.
The Future is Remote!

Sandy B Ridge

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 04:28:14 am »

Hi Sandy,
I run the Load Program Guide process several times and use two or three guide sources.  I do an auto match the first time which covers the majority of channels.  On another run, I choose the relevant guide source then manually match the channel name to the guide source name for those channels which didn't get matched automatically.  It's a bit tedious.  Minor variations in name strings are a PITA.
thanks.

Seems that xmltv only needs to know the codes and once it has got them then it can query the whole lot? Does that sound about right?

Good stuff. Maybe the way forward is to have a user database, like a playlist of each channel with the mc2xml codes for each region. Easy for DVB-S in the UK, not so for DVBT due to different transmitters.

SBR

SBR

NickF

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 07:31:05 am »

Seems that xmltv only needs to know the codes and once it has got them then it can query the whole lot? Does that sound about right?

Good stuff. Maybe the way forward is to have a user database, like a playlist of each channel with the mc2xml codes for each region. Easy for DVB-S in the UK, not so for DVBT due to different transmitters.

My thoughts exactly.  What we need Yaobing to confirm is that mc2xml uses the data in the MC database rather than some record of its own.  You will remember that MC is calling a mc2xml process for setting up the guide data, I think, although the GUI has changed with the new, automated process.  There is still a step to get the guide re-populated on a regular basis.

There has been talk of using the YADB to hold other sorts of data.  Could these XMLTV IDs be held there, submitted by users who have successfully populated channels with the IDs?

Just a thought.

Nick.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 08:49:37 am »

The case of deleted channel still showing up in guide might be just a matter of old guide data still lingering in MC database.  You can try "Clear program guide" option to see if you can get rid of them.  Or you can just wait until the programs become obsolete and are deleted automatically.

Regarding XMLTV, a program such as mc2xml create an xml file that MC will load data from.  The file contains

1. A channel list with channel name and XMLTV ID for each channel
2. A program list with program name, start time, duration, etc., and the the channel represented by XMLTV ID

In MC we make a map of the XMLTV ID's to channels in our database.  Each loaded program then references the channel key in our database.

It is my goal to create a channel grouping system so channels from different sources but with the same contents are grouped together and you will only need to load guide from one set (the largest set) of channels.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

NickF

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 01:42:13 pm »

Thanks for the explanation, Yaobing. 

So this means that if we were to enter an XMLTV ID in the field for a channel, the guide data would not be loaded.  We would need to load this data into the mc2xml xml file.  How often does MC read this?

If we rename channels, will there be a mismatch with the mc2xml data so the guide data would not be loaded?

It is my goal to create a channel grouping system so channels from different sources but with the same contents are grouped together and you will only need to load guide from one set (the largest set) of channels.
This is great news

Nick.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 04:02:34 pm »

Thanks for the explanation, Yaobing. 

So this means that if we were to enter an XMLTV ID in the field for a channel, the guide data would not be loaded.  We would need to load this data into the mc2xml xml file.  How often does MC read this?

If we rename channels, will there be a mismatch with the mc2xml data so the guide data would not be loaded?
This is great news

Nick.

Renaming channels is fine.  The key is a MC channel gets a unique XMLTV ID which is xmltv's way of identifying a channel.  If you know the ID that your xmltv source uses, you can try setting it inside MC.  That way, there will be a match when you use that source to load programs.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

dean70

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 08:48:29 am »

Is there a way to add the channel logos to the guide in Theatre mode?

NickF

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 01:35:08 pm »

Is there a way to add the channel logos to the guide in Theatre mode?
No, at present logos can't be shown in the Guide.  We have asked for it but don't know whether or when it might be developed.

You can create a listing of channels in Theater View which includes logos.

Take a look at this thread

Nick.
Pages: [1]   Go Up