INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions Regarding Organizing?  (Read 921 times)

ghoti

• Recent member
Suggestions Regarding Organizing?
« on: May 24, 2012, 11:34:04 pm »

I have my videos organized a particular way and want to figure out the best way (or if it's possible) to view them that way in MC.

My files are organized as follows:

Old TV
New TV
His TV
Her TV

Is there a way to set up the menus in Theater View to allow me to have those videos organized that way?  They are each in separate folders on my drives.

Currently, all my show folders show up under "Shows".  Ideally, I'd like to be able to have these "sub" groups under that, but if they need to be on the same level, that's fine.

So, is there any hope for me?

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Suggestions Regarding Organizing?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 04:19:14 am »

Welcome.

So, is there any hope for me?

Sure—as long as your willing to accept there are a number of different ways it can be done. ;)

While you could use those folder names to populate a custom field used to categorize video in this manner (which might apply to more than just TV shows), a more direct approach is to use the folders directly. If the file path used is, for example, D:\Video\Old TV\[Series]\[Season]\, then Filefolder([Filename,0], 2) returns 'Old TV'—your category. (The '2' means 'two folders up from the parent folder'.) Now you can use that in different ways. One would be to simple include that expression as the first category in your 'Shows' view. You would then first select one of those categories, then continue exactly as you do now (e.g., Series - Season - Episode file list). You could also use it in the Rules for file display of four separate views nested under 'Shows' to restrict each to one of those categories. In that case, you'll probably find it easier to create a suitable rule using the UI provided—something like [Filename (path)] contains 'Old TV').

The configuration is found at Options > Theater View. If you're not familiar with it, use this an an opportunity to learn how. Becoming comfortable with it will pay big dividends. Let us know if you have any specific questions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up