INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi from a MC newbie - and few questions ;)  (Read 2725 times)

ozziaj

• Recent member
Hi from a MC newbie - and few questions ;)
« on: June 23, 2012, 05:06:55 am »

Hi to ya’ all;

I’m new to JRiver Media Center (presently using v17.0.173 as a trial on Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit), coming from many years of iTunes, and getting fed up with that particular puppy, just like I got really peed off with M$’s WMP all them years ago.

Ok then, MC looks and feels pretty darn good, certainly sounds great (after playing with & adjusting them various settings), and the UI’s are a treat, particularly in Theater Mode. Having said all that, MC is, however, a rather very different beast from where I’m coming from, and definitely requires the user to spend a fair amount of time getting to know its multitude and deeply layered/leveled menus, settings and options. My gut feeling says this will take me a couple of weeks – and I’m pretty handy with UI’s, coming from an IT/SAD background.

Below are some of the major things I so far haven’t been able to figure out, and perhaps some kind soul – and/or vastly more experienced user of MC – on this board could help me out with / point me in the right direction. So here goes (my apologies for the lengthy post):

Question 1:   Where can I backup/export my custom MC configuration (and I mean the whole shebang, including the libraries and playlists)?? I mean, what happens if I have to reinstall the OS, and MC? Do I have to go through the whole setting-up exercise again? It’s not like it takes a few minutes (as in iTunes, and even that puppy stores its settings in its library so that they are back after a quick reinstall, provided the library is kept out of C:\). Can’t I simply backup all my custom settings, libraries & playlists, and then import them if/as needed?

Question 2:   Starting MC: I’d like to start it off in Theater Mode, in the Audio section. OK, I figured out how to make it open in Theater Mode, though I still need to click on Audio to get to the screen that shows my music collection. Where/how can I set MC up so that I don’t have to click on Audio every time?

Question 3:   I’d use MC primarily (like 99% of the time) as my music player. I have a fairly large and varied music collection (some 1600 full albums of HD 320bit mp3’s, near enough to 27,000 files), with each album having its original cover art embedded into each track, plus a 500x500 pixel file called Folder.jpg. In iTunes there is that handy little function whereby I can direct iTunes to shuffle either tracks, or full albums. Where in MC can I do this? I searched this forum, and it seems that this is one trick MC either despises or simply can’t (won’t?) do. I mean, from a developer’s point of view, it shouldn’t be that hard to incorporate such an option. Or do the guys ‘n gals at MC HQ simply feel that such an option is just a colossal no-no? I mean sure, I agree, most people would just shuffle tracks, but some folks like to listen to whole albums as they were conceived by the artists – Pink Floyd albums are a case in point! In iTunes I have a playlist with all my Pink Floyd albums, and iTunes can shuffle through this one album by album. Hey, if iTunes can do this, why not MC??

Question 4:   Talking of cover art: Unfortunately it seems MC does that same stupid and unforgiving no-no M$’s WMP introduced all them years back. Namely, cutting down all cover art to 200x200 pixels!! As far as I’m concerned that’s just hideous. My files are my files, and I want to control what happens with them! I didn’t spend years of collecting and sorting and cleaning up my collection, for someone to come along and change things without even telling me! Now looking at MC and the way it comes across, I simply find it hard to believe that there isn’t an option somewhere to prevent changes to cover art when importing audio files / collections. So what do I need to do to stop this from happening again?? Luckily I have a few external backups of my collection, so for me it’s no biggy, just really annoying! But I guess some other people might get mightily pissed off about such a strange invasion / behavior … And before someone asks: Yes, prior to importing my music collection into MS's library, all Folder.jpg files were 500x500 pixels ...

Question 5:   The Ctrl+1 Mode is pretty handy to use from time to time. But is there an option to auto-hide the (left) sidebar when not in use / needed? Sure, I could go into the Ctrl+5 Mode, but that doesn’t show me the player and player control buttons at the top of the screen. Any pointers on that one?

Question 6:   Next: is there a way to prevent MC from creating/downloading/adding any and all additional images, artwork etc. for the audio and video libraries/modules? Seems to me MC downloads artwork, images etc. for all video and audio files the user adds to MC’s libraries. If, however, the user doesn’t want that (and granted, I can imagine that a lot of users will be rather happy with that constant flood of online visuals), can it be disabled?? And if so, where? I managed to disable those (for me very distracting) Van Gogh backgrounds in Theater Mode, but it seems MC still downloads all sorts of stuff in the background. Ok, I could use my firewall and block MC from having unrestricted internet access, but that does seem a tad harsh …

Question 7:   Oh, and talking of images: I tried the Image Module and imported my collection of images (mainly photos and such). Is there a way to sort this by folders? I mean the sort options I see (like date, names etc.) sort my images into (for me) totally meaningless groups? If I want to view all (and only those) images from holiday_xyz, which happen to be in a folder called holiday_xyz (which is a sub-folder of my Images folder), then that’s what I would expect any good graphics library program to present me with. Hell, even good ol’ ACDC does that. So how’s this done in MC (I couldn't find an option to sort my image library just by folders)?? And BTW, is there a way to turn off those rather ghastly white frames MC tends to throw around each of my image files??

Question 8:   Lastly, is there a way to unload/remove the modules I wouldn’t use (such as images, videos, gadgets etc.)? I do like what MC can do, and how it does it. But I would use it primarily only as a very good and competent, plus great sounding, jukebox for my audio collection.

So, please, don’t get me wrong; I think MC is a pretty amazing puppy. Not for the faint-hearted or the quick-n-easy crowd (they can stick with WMP for all I care, or even with bloatware iTunes plus its non-stop useless/pointless updates and horribly clunky & dated UI), but it’s a great tool for audiophiles like myself.

All advice, pointers and tips would be very much appreciated.

Cheers, peace and thanks to ya’ all.

P.S.: If the answers to some of my above questions are deemed obvious and/or easy to find, then please have some patience and forgive this MC newbie; perhaps I'm half-blind and/or have a multitude of "blond moments" ... :-[  Thanks heaps ... 8)

audioriver

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Hi from a MC newbie - and few questions ;)
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 05:48:01 am »

1: File/Library/Backup Library
2: Check the "options/startup/startup interface" options
6: Tools/Import/configure auto-import. You can disable auto-cover art downloading there. An easy way to find the options that interest you, is to go to Tools/options and type a relevant word to the box at the bottom.
8: Options/General/Features
Windows 10 Pro x64

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 05:52:13 am »

Question 1:   Where can I backup/export my custom MC configuration (and I mean the whole shebang, including the libraries and playlists)?? I mean, what happens if I have to reinstall the OS, and MC? Do I have to go through the whole setting-up exercise again? It’s not like it takes a few minutes (as in iTunes, and even that puppy stores its settings in its library so that they are back after a quick reinstall, provided the library is kept out of C:\). Can’t I simply backup all my custom settings, libraries & playlists, and then import them if/as needed?
All settings are stored in library backups. These can be performed manually, but MC also keeps a rolling set of backups for you. When restoring a library backup, you can opt for settings only, library only, or both. Note this does not include the media files themselves, just the MC database and settings. Also note that the only thing not kept in the backup are third party plugin settings. Everything else is there, and it works like a charm.

Question 2:   Starting MC: I’d like to start it off in Theater Mode, in the Audio section. OK, I figured out how to make it open in Theater Mode, though I still need to click on Audio to get to the screen that shows my music collection. Where/how can I set MC up so that I don’t have to click on Audio every time?
Not sure about this one...

Question 3:   I’d use MC primarily (like 99% of the time) as my music player. I have a fairly large and varied music collection (some 1600 full albums of HD 320bit mp3’s, near enough to 27,000 files), with each album having its original cover art embedded into each track, plus a 500x500 pixel file called Folder.jpg. In iTunes there is that handy little function whereby I can direct iTunes to shuffle either tracks, or full albums. Where in MC can I do this? I searched this forum, and it seems that this is one trick MC either despises or simply can’t (won’t?) do. I mean, from a developer’s point of view, it shouldn’t be that hard to incorporate such an option. Or do the guys ‘n gals at MC HQ simply feel that such an option is just a colossal no-no? I mean sure, I agree, most people would just shuffle tracks, but some folks like to listen to whole albums as they were conceived by the artists – Pink Floyd albums are a case in point! In iTunes I have a playlist with all my Pink Floyd albums, and iTunes can shuffle through this one album by album. Hey, if iTunes can do this, why not MC??
This can be achieved by way of a saved smart list. Best to start a new thread for that, but it can be done.

Question 4:   Talking of cover art: Unfortunately it seems MC does that same stupid and unforgiving no-no M$’s WMP introduced all them years back. Namely, cutting down all cover art to 200x200 pixels!! As far as I’m concerned that’s just hideous. My files are my files, and I want to control what happens with them! I didn’t spend years of collecting and sorting and cleaning up my collection, for someone to come along and change things without even telling me! Now looking at MC and the way it comes across, I simply find it hard to believe that there isn’t an option somewhere to prevent changes to cover art when importing audio files / collections. So what do I need to do to stop this from happening again?? Luckily I have a few external backups of my collection, so for me it’s no biggy, just really annoying! But I guess some other people might get mightily pissed off about such a strange invasion / behavior … And before someone asks: Yes, prior to importing my music collection into MS's library, all Folder.jpg files were 500x500 pixels ...
I'm pretty sure this should not be happening. Again start a new thread to deal with this specific issue.

Question 5:   The Ctrl+1 Mode is pretty handy to use from time to time. But is there an option to auto-hide the (left) sidebar when not in use / needed? Sure, I could go into the Ctrl+5 Mode, but that doesn’t show me the player and player control buttons at the top of the screen. Any pointers on that one?
In Ctrl+5 mode (aka "cover view") if you move the mouse to the top of the screen, player controls should unhide. There's no way to auto-hide the tree pane. You can close it using the splitter bar there, and there is an option to remember the tree's open/closed state on start up. That's as good as it gets in this regard.

Question 6:   Next: is there a way to prevent MC from creating/downloading/adding any and all additional images, artwork etc. for the audio and video libraries/modules? Seems to me MC downloads artwork, images etc. for all video and audio files the user adds to MC’s libraries. If, however, the user doesn’t want that (and granted, I can imagine that a lot of users will be rather happy with that constant flood of online visuals), can it be disabled?? And if so, where? I managed to disable those (for me very distracting) Van Gogh backgrounds in Theater Mode, but it seems MC still downloads all sorts of stuff in the background. Ok, I could use my firewall and block MC from having unrestricted internet access, but that does seem a tad harsh …
Tools > Options > Theatre View > Theme > check out the options for online media slideshow.

Question 7:   Oh, and talking of images: I tried the Image Module and imported my collection of images (mainly photos and such). Is there a way to sort this by folders? I mean the sort options I see (like date, names etc.) sort my images into (for me) totally meaningless groups? If I want to view all (and only those) images from holiday_xyz, which happen to be in a folder called holiday_xyz (which is a sub-folder of my Images folder), then that’s what I would expect any good graphics library program to present me with. Hell, even good ol’ ACDC does that. So how’s this done in MC (I couldn't find an option to sort my image library just by folders)?? And BTW, is there a way to turn off those rather ghastly white frames MC tends to throw around each of my image files??
You can sort, or group by, filename, which should do what you want. MC is streets ahead of AcdSee if you ask me, the only reason I have it installed now is to edit the EXIF date/time original tag on scanned photos. Some day, MC will be able to do that, and AcdSee will be gone. Again, for assistance with your image library, ask specific questions in their own threads.

Question 8:   Lastly, is there a way to unload/remove the modules I wouldn’t use (such as images, videos, gadgets etc.)? I do like what MC can do, and how it does it. But I would use it primarily only as a very good and competent, plus great sounding, jukebox for my audio collection.
Tools > Options > General > Features

:D :D

Welcome to the forums, I get the feeling you will get on well with MC.

-marko

ozziaj

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:33:15 am »

Thanks audioriver & marko for your kind directions (and fast responses!!). I'll play with these tomorrow; it's getting kinda later around here, so I better get some shut-eye. Will keep ya posted on my 'progress' in due course.

Cheers for now and thanks again  :)

ozziaj

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 06:16:26 am »

Yesterday my trial time expired, and ever since then, every so often (and many times too many) this puppy throws up my browser and comes up with a message of "Critical Error"! Not only that, at the same time it closes any Windows Explorer windows I happen to be working in at the time - in a way forcing me to attend to the problem

I finally tried to uninstall this puppy (just out of professional interest). And sure enough, it wouldn't let me! Instead, every time I tried, it forced me to go online to that same bloody critical error page.

In the end I had to uninstall in Safe Mode and then manually remove all its entries in the registry.

While I perfectly understand and appreciate a developer's concerns about protecting their intellectual and otherwise property, this kind of behavior does nothing to entice me to buy this program.

Luckily I had done an image backup prior to installing MC, so I was able to roll back pronto. No biggy for me, but I pity anyone who didn't do an image backup.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 06:29:52 am »

That's not an MC problem.  Did you download from an unauthorized site?  You might try downloading from JRiver.

You may now have a virus or some other puppy.

rjm

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 08:40:26 am »

bad puppy!

ozziaj

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 01:06:26 pm »

That's not an MC problem.  Did you download from an unauthorized site?  You might try downloading from JRiver.

You may now have a virus or some other puppy.
Lemme see here, I gather the link below is as authorized as it gets?
Code: [Select]
http://www.jriver.com/download.html

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 07:34:15 pm »

It should be. I would use the latest from the MC16 forum though:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73152.0

I have never EVER seen MC unwillingly direct me to an external browser page or mess with windows Explorer. It's got to be something else doing it. I would check my system thoroughly if I were you. A better description of the behavior and symptoms might give people a better understanding of whats going on. I did not understand much I'm afraid.
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 07:40:43 pm »

It should be. I would use the latest from the MC16 forum though:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=73152.0

I think he means the MC17 forum. (Mr. Haugen, hope you don't mind my comment here.)

Rod

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 10:06:49 pm »

I have never EVER seen MC unwillingly direct me to an external browser page or mess with windows Explorer. It's got to be something else doing it.

As Jim stated, it's the bad puppy he installed.

ozziaj, please purchase the program if you like it and want to continue using it.

Closing this now.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up