INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Theater View thumbnail navigation problem  (Read 1145 times)

MrHaugen

• Citizen of the Universe
Theater View thumbnail navigation problem
« on: June 06, 2012, 03:35:41 am »

I mostly use thumbnails for browsing in theater view. When you're at the two bottom rows of thumbnails, there is little "glitch" in the programming I think.

Let me see if I can explain this well enough. Say you have 5 thumbnail columns width, and there is just one item on the last row. If you go down on column 2-5 to the second last row, the screen will not move the thumbnails upwards, showing the last row of thumbnails. In this case, the last thumbnail. So, you can be tricked into thinking that that row was the last, while there could be 1-4 more elements below!

A more graphical example:

Normal behavior (O is selection, and the ------ indicates the screen border)
X X X X X
X X O X X
X X X X
---------

Unwanted behavior
X X X X X
X X X X O
----------
X X X X

In these illustration it shows that the last row does not scroll up if there is no more items directly beneath the selection. And it can make people think that there is no more Artists, albums, movies, TV Shows or Episodes left. The only thing you CAN do to be sure, is to press the down button again, to see if the selection moves to the last row. This makes it very easy to go directly from the bottom to the top though. Which you might not want.

I hope that you can change this behavior so that the screen updates with the last row even if there is not any items directly beneath the selection. Check if there is another row instead perhaps?
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
Re: Theater View thumbnail navigation problem
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 03:48:19 am »

I see what you mean and I think the easiest fix would be for them to change the behavior to always have a space between the selection and the bottom of the screen even if it is the final row.

instead of this
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X O
---------

use this
X X X X X
X X X X X
X X O

---------

I think of it as the file moves up into the selection container which is what it does until it reaches the final file in a column at that point the selection container moves to the file, while it should key on the row instead of the column for it's movement.
Sean

MrHaugen

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 03:52:22 am »

I agree that this could be a more logical approach. However, it is not a great solution when you think of all the wasted space and the lack of overview you will have when you're at the bottom line.

When we look at for instance touch products from Google or Apple, and all their applications, it's much more common to give an indication of the end of the list instead of letting it continue to scroll. Google's way of showing this is by adding a blue drag effect on the bottom of the lists (Android 4.0 and beyond?) and Apples way of dealing with this is by having a sort of bump-back effect when you hit the end of the line. I think that JRiver approach of letting the selection jump to the last line just when the last line is reached is an ok approach to this familiar behavior.

I don't care extremely much either way when it comes to scrolling behavior, but I think it's important to fix this underlaying problem so users don't miss out on episodes from their favorite TV Shows.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:48:28 am »

Next build:
Fixed: When scrolling down in Theater View, the last row of thumbnails would not always be shown when selecting the second to last row.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

MrHaugen

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 12:25:52 pm »

Sweet. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up