INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New licenses; slow server  (Read 1037 times)

Scronch

New licenses; slow server
« on: May 01, 2002, 04:33:35 pm »

I tried to append this to the post it came from, but the post never finished loading.  If the server is this slow due to your ISP, it's time for a new ISP.

>you have the newest form of license and it can't be backed up, but it
>can be recovered from our web site. It was new about 3 weeks ago in V8.

Did I miss the announcement of this?  I would've expected lots of cheering and slapping of backs, given all the complaints the license files used to generate.

Scronch

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:New licenses; slow server
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 04:38:17 pm »

You were AWOL for the beta.  No worry.

We're seeing a lot of downloads right now.  Sorry?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Alonso Nefarious

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2002, 05:13:17 pm »

JimH:
>You were AWOL for the beta. No worry.

I was AWOL too, great...I think...Does the not able to back up thing mean that it can't be applied to more than one machine?

>We're seeing a lot of downloads right now. Sorry?
Congratulations On Your Newly Overloaded Connection!!! {wink}

-Nef

JimH

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2002, 05:23:07 pm »

> Does the not able to back up thing mean that it can't be applied to more than one machine?

No.  With the new licensing, you can restore to a new machine.  Limited to 5/year right now, but still under consideration.
Jim Hillegass

gateley

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2002, 08:02:57 am »

slow connection hopefully has been solved.

j

nila

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2002, 09:20:05 am »

Quick question about Licenses, if I buy one does that give me the right to use it on my networked machines at home or am I going to need to buy a license for each machine I want to have it spread on cause that would make it really expensive.

RxMan

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2002, 06:36:52 pm »

I would like to know the answer as well (to multiple computers). I was just about to purchase when I see people having problems with upgrading and licenses.

DonM

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2002, 09:00:12 pm »

Just wondering why there has to be a limit of 5 restorations of a license per year? Why can't one restore anytime the need arises since the software is already paid for?

I had problems with this feature when using the RealOne. I used Ghost to make an image of my hard drive. The licensed RealOne was part of the image yet after restoring the image a few times I lost all the plus features of the RealOne. Buying a new license was the only way to get the features back.

The restoring of the Ghost image was done after testing various software. I do this often even with the various beta's of MJ. It gives me a truer picture of where a problem may lie with the software being tested. Sometime loading one beta over another creates problems. If loaded fresh I get a better idea of where the problem might be.

mavrick

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2002, 05:40:34 am »

I'm with Don M. I am very nervous about my ability to restore MJ as I too regularly load and test beta software. As was pointed out restoring a ghost image may not always get me back to where I need to be and a system wipe is sometimes the only way to go. I have at times needed to totally clean the system oncea month.

JimH

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2002, 05:50:24 am »

There is no change in our policy.  We will allow 5 restorations per year.

Most people will not need to restore unless they change their OS, use it on another machine, or their drive crashes.  5/year of these events seems enough to us.  I'm sorry if it doesn't fit your needs.
Jim Hillegass
Pages: [1]   Go Up