INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: multi channel audio interface plus power amps replace surround receiver ?  (Read 4471 times)

RC23

• World Citizen

The Wiki article for surround describes the workflow with a surround receiver.

Is there an alternative way to decode surround by MC17 and streaming the 5.1 PCM signal by a multi channel audio interface to separate power amps ?

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

There are several of us on this Forum that are receiver-less. I have been doing it for a couple of years now. First used an EMU 0404USB 2 channel DAC straight to the power amps. For a little over a year I've been using an internal Asus Essence ST sound card with an H6 Daughter card. That combo allows up to 7.1 playback. We are using it in a 5.1 system and have been very pleased with the whole setup. I see no reason for a receiver when you have MC17.

Mojave previously used the same Essence ST cards but has upgraded to a Steinberg setup. Hulkss probaly has the most elaborate system - 16 channels, I believe. I know I've read of others here doing the same thing. Hopefully some of them will chime in.

Rod

RC23

• World Citizen

Thanks for affirmation of the receiver-less way.  :)

In my coming setup I will feed a Focusrite Saffire 40 for both tasks stereo and surround.

RC23

• World Citizen

Does MC17 contain test signals for surround setup (level and delay of channels) or is it better to go for an alternative way?

nwboater

• MC Beta Team

Does MC17 contain test signals for surround setup (level and delay of channels) or is it better to go for an alternative way?

Yes it does, although the channel delay is a little coarse. If you already have MC 17 go poke around in Tools/Options/Audio/Settings/DSP & Output Format/Room Correction. While you are there also look at Output Format & Parametric Equalizer. Some real powerful stuff!

Have fun.

Rod

RC23

• World Citizen

The hardware for my new HTPC is ordered and comes in the next days. Actual I am using my office laptop to write this posting.

You wrote the channel delay is a little coarse. I own a micro (with correction file for frequency response) to record test signals. With it it has to be possible to tune the surround setup.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team

deleted ! Where is the delete button ? Please mod, delete my missed postings.

I am fighting with the forumīs software.  ;)

When you look at one of your posts you will see 3 icons in the upper right. One of them says 'Remove'. That should do the trick.

Rod

nwboater

• MC Beta Team

The hardware for my new HTPC is ordered and comes in the next days. Actual I am using my office laptop to write this posting.

You wrote the channel delay is a little coarse. I own a micro (with correction file for frequency response) to record test signals. With it it has to be possible to tune the surround setup.

Channel delay is in .1 foot increment which probably is sufficient for most people. I know I have read of a request to make it finer. Or perhaps that was an old request and it was originally in even coarser increments. I think it was Mojave.

I don't know what the "Micro" is that you mentioned. But there are test signals in the DSP already that you can use for surround setup. If you want to integrate a file of frequency response corrections I believe you will want to use 'Convolution'. I have no experience with it, but if you explain a little more of what you have and what you want to do I'm sure someone who knows it will respond. The Parametric Equalizer can also do some very sophisticated EQ.

I think it would be best for you at this point to have MC17 running so you can see what we are talking about. Will you be home tonight to do that?

Rod

Rod

RC23

• World Citizen

Quote from: nwboater
Channel delay is in .1 foot increment which probably is sufficient for most people. I know I have read of a request to make it finer. Or perhaps that was an old request and it was originally in even coarser increments. I think it was Mojave.

I think 0.1 foot (= 3 cm for us continental Europeans ;)) is more than sufficient.

I don't know what the "Micro" is that you mentioned. But there are test signals in the DSP already that you can use for surround setup. If you want to integrate a file of frequency response corrections I believe you will want to use 'Convolution'. I have no experience with it, but if you explain a little more of what you have and what you want to do I'm sure someone who knows it will respond. The Parametric Equalizer can also do some very sophisticated EQ.

The frequency response is more important. The Parametric Equalizer is a nice tool to tune the sound. But you have to measure it by micro. Yes I will go with convolution and therefore a multi channel convolution for surround will be the best way.

I think it would be best for you at this point to have MC17 running so you can see what we are talking about. Will you be home tonight to do that?

My last PC is dead and the coming HTPC will be built in a week or so.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team

I have seen the remove icon in other postings of myself. But here the icon lacks.

Are you logged in?

nwboater

• MC Beta Team

My last PC is dead and the coming HTPC will be built in a week or so.

If you own MC you can have it on multiple PCs (within reason). If you don't own it yet, just download a trial copy. Either way it would be helpful for you to have it on your laptop now so you can get a good feel for all the audio features.

Rod

RC23

• World Citizen

Are you logged in?

Yes. 

Your answer would be a possible explanation for lack of the remove icon.

RC23

• World Citizen

If you own MC you can have it on multiple PCs (within reason). If you don't own it yet, just download a trial copy. Either way it would be helpful for you to have it on your laptop now so you can get a good feel for all the audio features.

Rod

I have no admin rights on my office laptop. "Miss Marple" checks at every system start whether new software has been installed. "Miss Marple" is a software tool.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team

I have no admin rights on my office laptop. "Miss Marple" checks at every system start whether new software has been installed. "Miss Marple" is a software tool.

What a nasty lady!

If you lived closer I'd loan you an old PC, but..........

Rod

RC23

• World Citizen

You know Miss Marple ? An old quirky lady of the 60th of the last millennium who investigates in criminal stories.

;)

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver

Are you talking about Room Correction? In Room Correction I'm still getting .5 foot increments (6 inches or 15.24 cm). However, in the delay in Parametric EQ you can delay .01 ms.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team

Are you talking about Room Correction? In Room Correction I'm still getting .5 foot increments (6 inches or 15.24 cm). However, in the delay in Parametric EQ you can delay .01 ms.

My bad! Thanks for the correction on Room Correction. And I had totally forgotten about the delay available in Parametric EQ since I don't use it.

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up