INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album View: Version 0.3.2b is now available  (Read 3591 times)

RhinoBanga

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Developer
Album View: Version 0.3.2b is now available
« on: May 01, 2002, 01:13:44 pm »

Here you go people:
http://www.jda-ltd.com/freeware/mjav.exe

And here's the changelog since 0.3.1b:

Fixed issue where !album! was being resolved to "pseudo" album name which included the the type on non preferred types.   Now use raw name.
Fixed issue where duplicate images were being shown for internal image albums
Fixed issue where sizing album details track grid did not resize the contents
Fixed issue where the track thumbnail count was always being incremented and as such every album was being reported as complete ... doh!
Fixed issue where complete/incomplete processing was not working.
Fixed issue where track details screen tooltips were showing rubbish for the artist.
Speeded up in/complete processing a little when using external directory searching

Rich

More install problems
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2002, 01:51:40 pm »

I downloaded the VB6 files from Microsoft as you suggested.  This did enable me to complete the install.  There were no errors during the install.  But when I start MJ and go to the Plug-in Manager there is no entry for AV.  I have uninstalled and tried again a few times, but no luck.

tdillard

RE:Album View: Version 0.3.2b is now available
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2002, 02:37:22 pm »

Rich, after you install it, open MJ, look in the column to the left, where all the other fields like Media Library, Playing Now, Artist, Playlist, and the like are, down on the bottom, there will be a Plugins tab. Open that, and that's where you'll see album view.

MWGilbert

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2002, 07:08:04 pm »

sorry to report that this version does not display an overview at all, just an error dialog, something to the effect of "unable to calculate height".this is on 2 xp systems. thanks.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2002, 10:22:56 pm »

Rich:
If you are still hvaing problems can you email me a trace file please.   Instructions are in the readme file.

MWGilbert:
It should definately display the overview view.   That message just hilights that VB is returning an error when I try and set the height of the picture box beyond 16384 pixels.   Did you press return (or hold it down) until the message dissapeared?   It appears *every time* VB reports the error so it may appear *lots* of times.   I'll upload a version without the message since you have confirmed I have isolated the issue.

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2002, 11:00:32 pm »

Friends,

I have been having a little think about this height issue and I have some ideas I want to run by you:

1)  I could change the overview screen to show the 0-9, A, B, C, etc as tabs at the bottom of the screen and split down the albums (or artists) that way.   The plus side of this is that the overview screen will be quick to fill.   The downside is that you loose the "overall" capability (i.e. see everything on one scrollable screen, you just have to click the appropriate tab to see the artist/album range you want) and it will still be possible to hit the picturebox height limitation although now it will be very unlikely.   This could be implemented in an hour.

2)  I could overhaul my thumbnail control to be intelligent in that when I get near the current VB limitation I create another picturebox on the fly, move this underneath the previous picturebox and start painting other thumbnails in this new control, etc, etc.   The downside of this is that it will take a bit of time to implement (I recon around 6 to 8 hours) and will require a lot of testing as there will probably be a lot of bugs on the first release.

My personal preference is #1 since I can implement it very quickly, it provides speed gains, logically breaks down the artists/tracks and if the height issue becomes a pain then I can then implement #2.

What's your thoughts?

John C

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2002, 12:04:32 am »

Rhino

First Thanks for what you are doing, this will be great when finished. I like the idea of being able to thumb through my albums and just click one to play(Just like the old Vinyl Days).

I personally would find Tabs a very acceptable way of displaying my albums. Go for it.

A small point I have found annoying, is, when I use the arrows on the scroll bars to scroll, they spring back when I release the mouse. Dragging the scroll bar is OK. Anyone else see this??

Thanks

John

RhinoBanga

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2002, 04:19:37 am »

John,

I'll shove in the tabs tonight to see how it goes (I'll even try and make it an option for peeps).

Also I'll take a look at the scroll issue ... I have seen it as well and it has been getting on my nerves too.

Rhino.

MWGilbert

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2002, 10:07:32 am »

tabs ok for me...i'll be happy just to wait and try the next build

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2002, 10:28:30 am »

Version 0.3.3b is available for downloading if you want to try the overview page tabs.

Personally I think it works really well.

What do you think?

MWGilbert

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2002, 11:34:17 am »

> Version 0.3.3b is available for downloading if you want to try the overview page tabs.
> Personally I think it works really well.
> What do you think?

i like the tabs very much. if it were up to me i would put "?" and "0-9" at the end of the alphabet.

no matter what i do, including setting it in the preferences, the overview always comes up in "entire collection" mode ie. by album. i want it to come up in "entire collection by artist" mode, but it seems to ignore the preferences setting.

one more little thing: the last row on the bottom of a screen of album images does not seem to display the full size of the caption; it gets cut off.

otherwise: very appealing!

Mike

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2002, 01:38:21 pm »

Rhino,

I like the tabs.....BUT I also think the view of all the albums on one screen was great !!!

PLEASE put it back

Mike

Rhinobanga

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2002, 01:45:42 pm »

MWGilbert:

I'll move the items in the next build and I'll fix the startup issue also.

As far as the captions are concerned that has always been on my TODO list (it's even in the Known Issues section of the readme).   I'll get round to it when I get more free time.

I'm glad you like the tabs tho Next Page

Finally I am toying with the idea of putting a list of artists on the right hand side of the overview page so when you click on a letter it shows you the artists within that page and clicking on the artist would further filter the current
selection.   For example If you are viewing by artist and you click on "M" ... currently everything is dumped in there ... Madonna/Mike Oldfield/Marrilion/etc ... I want to narrow the list down to just, say, Mike Oldfield.

Mike:

I'll put in an * tab that will show everything BUT this is not guarenteed to work due to the picturebox size issue.   But just for you I'll put it first in the list Next Page

John C

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2002, 02:24:38 pm »

Great Job Rhino, I just love the Tabs, much better IMHO.

Thanks

John

JohnC

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2002, 02:38:28 pm »

Is it possible to have Tabs for Artist rather than or as well as Album??
Just that I would find it easier to find an album by Artist Tab.

John

Fretwalker

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2002, 02:56:28 pm »

Hi Rhino,
cool, I like the tabs as well, but an option for showing the complete library as well would also be nice...
It works very fast now - even with the internal images enabled (ordered at last position) but one thing is showing up everytime I install AV ( and I always do clean installs -> Drive Image): MJ stays in memory after quitting - am I doing something wrong?

Eric

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2002, 10:00:15 pm »

JohnC:
I mentioned a few posts back that I was going to implement an artists name tab as well.

Fretwalker:
I mentioned a few posts back that I was going to implement an * tab that will show everything.   Also the staying in memory is a bug that is mentioned in the "Known Issues" section of teh readme file.   I just haven't got round to finding which object is preventing MJ from exiting.

nila

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2002, 02:46:31 am »

Hey Rhino,

A feature I'd love to see would be another view for the albums.
Media Jukebox currently stores the date that tracks are imported but this list can be huge and is more likely to just display random songs I have added recently.

I'd love a feature whereby Album View can display the last X albums added to my collection. In real life when I go out and buy albums physically I put them somewhere so I know which ones I got recently and play them alot. With mp3's though they just merge into the huge number I have.

If there was a tab that displayed albums in the order they were added to my collection it'd be great.
Also a tab that showed the newest 10 or so (in terms of being added to my collection, not in terms of what year it was released) albums to my collection.
And make it so that the number could be modified.

It'd be a GREAT feature which I know I personally would use a lot.

RhinoBanga

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2002, 03:21:45 am »

I can't do it Nila as MJ does not supply that sort of information.

Go here and see what I get:

http://www.musicex.com/mediajukebox/DevZone/MJAutomation.html#CMJFileAutomation

As you will see I only get track information.
There is nothing in there that says when it was added to MJ.

Maybe this is something I can incorporate into the album rating thing I was going to look at after I get 0.3.4b out.

Rhino.

nila

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2002, 04:49:41 am »

yeah, u could possibly store the information urself as to when the album was added. Have your own little db going on which would suck though as it would mean extra effort which is a waste seeing as Media Jukebox already has the info saved.

Marketability

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2002, 10:46:54 am »

Love the idea - just a quick q - is it me or does it only work on external images rather than those tagged and internal to the mp3?

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2002, 11:00:07 am »

Have you enabled them in the options screen?

nila

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2002, 11:42:23 am »

A nice extra feature for the last 10 albums added would be to allow possibly do one of two things.
Allow us to delete entries from the list and have say the 11th last added album slip down a place to replace the one deleted.
Or to present us with a list of all the new albums and allow us to check which ones we wanted to have counted.

The reason for this would be so that when we say re-rip an album to replace one we currently have in our collection because we want to do it in say a different format, it's not a new album to our collection, it's simply one we've re-done so it shouldn't be in our last 10 albums added list Next Page

stuwad

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2002, 06:18:51 pm »

Hi there..I absolutely love Album View..it completely changes the way I listen to my mp3's, and it makes them feel like a real cd collection again...it takes MJ to new heights!

Now a question...would it be possible to filter out albums with less than a certain number of tracks...I have lots of mp3's that are not part of an entire album and it's annoying that they get a thumbnail in the collection.

Thankyou for enhancing my life...

sTu

RhinoBanga

• Developer
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2002, 10:27:48 pm »

Yeah ... that's real easy stu ... look for it in the next build.

lee269

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2002, 11:59:03 pm »

Updated last night: I got 0.3.3 I think because I see overview page tabs (working great) but the readme says 0.3.2. Anyway more small points:

1. Incomplete album view now works for me as it should - thanks

2. switching MJ from maximised to restored does not repaint the AV screen (MJ 8.0.265, XP Home). Have to wave the mouse over the blank area to find a button to click, which then fixes it. Is this AV or my display?

3. Mouse wheel scrolling: Works in Album detail treeview and track list, and all report output, but not in overview or album view thumbnail pane. Mouse driver is bog-standard 'PS/2 compatible mouse' from XP install. Will try and update driver if you really think this is not an AV issue.

Hope this helps - I dont want to sound nit-picky. AV is doing everything I want right now: how did we get by without it?

lee269

nila

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2002, 02:15:57 am »

The overview page doesn't seem to work if I have it checked to be in sync with playing now.
I even put my full library into playing now to make sure that there should be values for each tab but no tabs show anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up