INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Best keyboard / mouse for HTPC  (Read 42095 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Best keyboard / mouse for HTPC
« on: June 08, 2012, 11:53:34 pm »

My HTPC keyboard / mouse died.

Normally I only use a remote from the couch, but once in a while it's nice to have a keyboard and mouse.  I occasionally type an email, Interact post, etc. so I think a normal sized keyboard is probably best.

I've tried several, but have been using this one lately:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823166047

Now it's dead so I need a new one.  Any advice on the best option?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

pcstockton

Re: Best keyboard / mouse for HTPC
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 12:02:01 am »

For an HTPC I want the smallest thing I can get.  The little Apple Bluetooth keyboard works wonderfully.  Great build, good range, nice design.  It has survived at least three full pint spills and keeps chugging.  I never turn it off and batteries seem to last for about a year.

Not full size though.

I just want something that looks OK sitting out in the living room.

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 12:08:56 am »

I want some sort of mouse (trackball, trackpad, etc.) built into the keyboard.

I think that rules out the Apple.

I saw this at Amazon, and it looks interesting:
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Keyboard-Multi-Touch-920-003070/dp/B005DKZTMG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1339218460&sr=1-1

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 02:32:38 am »

I use one of these

http://www.cideko.com/pro_con.php?id=3

for the times I need a keyboard.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 05:10:02 am »

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 06:08:08 pm »

Other than my Apple keyboard I almost exclusively buy Logitech for mice, keyboards and remotes.  I have owned a ton and they have only ever broken due to spilled beers.

They have a few models with touch pads.  My buddy has one that works wonderfully.  I think it was only $50 at Best Buy.

-p
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

laerm

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 06:40:59 pm »

I've had a Logitech diNovo mini for about five years now. It's small, looks good, has a nice lid to keep the dust off, lights up, and has a small trackpad. It's a bit steep but it's been working great with lots of use for many years. In fact, I've worried Logitech will stop making them so from time to time I think of buying a backup for the day it finally quits!

Micah

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 10:20:11 pm »

I used to have a Microsoft Arc keyboard.  I liked it a lot, but someone spilled a whiskey sour on it (the same girl who had to get her license back from the President, actually) and it died.

I have an Apple Wireless now, and I LOVE it.  Perfect for a HTPC, though a little bit of a pain to set up right on a vanilla Windows box.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Castius

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2012, 02:12:00 am »

I'm waiting for someone to copy sonys' new googletv remote.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=G2IOUBGzimA#t=73s
Or see if it will just work on a pc. I think it's blue tooth.

I was also thinking that the keyboard should just be a android touch screen.
That way i could just flip it over and load anything, Like Gizmo.

hulkss

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 11:57:48 pm »

I used to have a Microsoft Arc keyboard.  I liked it a lot, but someone spilled a whiskey sour on it (the same girl who had to get her license back from the President, actually) and it died.

It seems we have not been told the entire story ;)

locust

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 04:51:16 pm »

Hey Matt

Just wondering if you got the Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400, is it any good?

I am thinking of getting one myself, they look quite good, I feel at a loss when browsing for a wireless keyboard/trackpad combo there doesn't seem to be that many good quality ones out there..

I don't know whether or not to go for bluetooth or just wireless, from what I've read bluetooth performs better.

I do like the look of the Apple Magic Keyboard and Magic Trackpad + the Twelve South Magic Wand to merge them although getting them all would burn a £130 hole in my pocket, seems a little excessive for a keyboard.

Cheers

Oh just wondering is version 18 just around the corner since we're on 17.0.180 and 16 ended at 16.0.181?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 06:45:37 pm »

Just wondering if you got the Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard K400, is it any good?

I did get one, and I like it.  Especially for $35.

The good:
* It wakes up in like half a second if you touch the trackpad or a key (my old keyboard took a few seconds).
* It's a nice size (small, but not too small).
* Multi-touch scroll works nicely, and doesn't seem to activate when you wouldn't expect it.
* They say the battery life is great, although I can't confirm that myself.

The bad:
* I struggle to type because the right-shift is a weird reach.  I always hit 'End' or 'Page Up' when I'm trying to capitalize a letter and end up with the cursor in outer space.

locust

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 08:17:08 pm »

I think I'll be getting myself one soon, it seems like a good ratio of quality and a small price tag

Thanks Matt

locust

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2012, 08:25:23 pm »

One other thing, does it overall feel durable and good quality? I had another and the keys felt cheap, I had to press down quite hard and they got stuck sometimes

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2012, 09:05:37 pm »

* I struggle to type because the right-shift is a weird reach.  I always hit 'End' or 'Page Up' when I'm trying to capitalize a letter and end up with the cursor in outer space.

KeyTweak will be your best friend.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

locust

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2012, 05:53:07 pm »

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 02:03:30 pm »

I did get one, and I like it.  Especially for $35.

Matt,

This one was the best Logitech that I used, but it is no longer available. http://reviews.logitech.com/7061/140/logitech-cordless-desktop-mx-3200-laser-reviews/reviews.htm
All wireless keyboards don't seem to last more than 2 years.  I had a Logitech Wave in the past, but the keys seem to stick or don't work.  Well all of the wireless keyboards that I have used seems to eat the batteries.  It might be a month, but I was replacing them quite often.  My biggest problem was that I prefer a mechanical type keyboard.  I have use apple keyboards, and they don't have the mechanical feel with the keys.  

So, I went back to a reliable wired KeyTronic Keyboard.  I bet this one is 10 years old, but works like new.  Here is their website.  http://keyboards.keytronic.com/home/keyboards/keyboards/keyboards.html Actually, a few have trackballs.   I removed my HTPC out of my stereo cabinent long ago, but it resides in the basement.  I just use my Ipad now to control the HTPC and Control4 setup.   Although, if you want to go back to a more reliable keyboard, then here is a long cable for keyboards.  http://www.cablestogo.com/product_list.asp?cat_id=920  Well, if you have a basement, then you can fish the wire below you.  There is a small security risk with wireless keyboards, so be sure to do your online transactions with a wired keyboard.  

Jeff

P.S.

The Trust keyboards are not released yet.  Expect them to expensive.   I used trackballs, but I prefer a laser mouse.  I try to keep my keyboard and mouse at the same level, but it is more for ergonomics. 
Well, if you don't then expect to have pain in the wrists. 

MrC

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 08:07:06 pm »

Today I setup my new Logitech k810 Bluetooth keyboard for my main PC.  It can control 3 devices, so I configured it to also control my iPad.  So far, I'm loving it.  It is small and thin (so easy on the wrists), feels great, is quiet.  I like the feel of the keys, and the auto-LED back lighting is pretty neat too.

It replaced a monster Logitech Wave keyboard which I tired of.

Highly recommended.

Oh, and my motherboard did not have Bluetooth , so I picked up a Medialink v4.0 Class 2 Blueetooth Smart Ready USB Adapter.  Its about the size of those plug-in automobile fuses.  Slick.

Edit: Oh, and Matt, I have an unused Adesso keyboard/trackpad combo if you want it.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 08:32:30 pm »

Logitech k810 Bluetooth keyboard...Highly recommended.

That looks like a neat shape.  And the right shift key is in the right place unlike the K400.

If it had a built in mouse, it'd be great for HTPC usage.

For desktop keyboards, I'm hooked on the giant natural keyboards like the Microsoft 4000, etc.  I especially liked the older ones with a USB ports on the keyboard, because it worked great for a corded mouse.

jaypeecee

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 05:19:11 am »

Hi Matt,

You may want to look at the Perixx Periboard-717.  I have one of these little gems, which I use for controlling my digital music system. It looks like a slightly overgrown Blackberry. It has a full QWERTY keyboard, touchpad and media player keys. It communicates with a PC by means of an ultra-small wireless dongle. In the UK, mine cost me £30.

JPC
My digital music system is based around the Intel D2700MUD motherboard running Win 10 Home 64 bit. Output is fed from this to an asynchronous USB Cambridge Audio DacMagic 100. Music files are stereo 24bit FLAC up to 192kHz. I use J River MC version 21.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 12:19:04 pm »

I just ordered a Logitech T650 trackpad for my HTPC, as part of the eventual Windows 8 upgrade.  I'll let you know how it works when it comes and I get it set up.

Jargon

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2013, 01:38:31 am »

I wonder why nobody has suggested the Dinovo Edge from Logitech. I have both this and the mini and I prefer the Edge by a long shot.

It is a dog! almost 4 years and works like a champ. Responsive (BT), sturdy, reliable and the touch pad is one of the best I've used.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 09:16:37 am »

I just ordered a Logitech T650 trackpad for my HTPC, as part of the eventual Windows 8 upgrade.  I'll let you know how it works when it comes and I get it set up.

This works awesome, by the way.

There are a few things that are a bit annoying... You can't really customize the gestures much, except to turn them off and on.  But the defaults are fairly good.  I had to turn one thing off (the automatic gesture to flip between open applications by swiping from the left edge), because I kept accidentally activating it.  Deactivating this gesture was confusing because you have to do it from within the Windows 8 settings themselves, rather than in the Logitech SetPoint driver, but once I got it deactivated properly, it now works beautifully (the same gesture still does something, it just only slides over the "switching tray" rather than directly switching to my most-recently-used Metro app).

Other than that, though, I'm happy with it.  Logitech seems to be iterating fairly quickly on the drivers.  For example, there was an update just last month that added double-tap to drag and tweaked some of the right-click settings, which solved some big problems for me.

mykillk

• World Citizen
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 05:26:17 pm »

Trackball mouse all the way for HTPC

The Apple Wireless keyboard is the best small-factor keyboard I've seen as well. It's even smaller than most other tiny keyboard yet maintains full sized keys.

MrC

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2013, 05:43:56 pm »

Logitech has just put out the Mac version of the keyboard I mention above (I'm still in love with it).  We're waiting until BestBuy has it in stock (since I have some Rewards points to use).  We'll use the new one to replace 2 Apple Wireless keyboards on my wife's desk now (she controls her iMac and her Macbook running VMWare) and has needed two keyboards (due to using the iMac as a slave monitor).  The replacement will allow just one keyboard to be used, since it can control 3 Bluetooth devices.

It feels as good as, maybe better than the Apple keyboard, and no need to change batteries.

pcstockton

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2013, 04:50:37 pm »

Help here please.

With multiple computers and multiple keyboards (Apple Bluetooth and new Logitech K810) I have never gotten more than 8-10 feet of range.  On all computers I have used there wasn't internal bluetooth so I used a dongle.  All dongles claimed up to 30' range as do the keyboards.

I now have bought three different dongles and they all behave identically.  So on 3 PCs, 2 keyboards and 3 dongles I cant get more than 8-10' without getting the dreaded sticky kkkkeeeeeeeeeyyyyyyyssssssssss, or straight up losing connection.

Just for fun I plugged the dongle into an unused USB extender that came with a Logitech Keyboard/Mouse combo.  I placed it exactly where the dongle would be if it was plugged into my PC (it is no closer than before) and I now have ~20' range....  Any thoughts on what this might have done???  Or any thoughts on what I might need to do on the PC to replicate this success without the extender?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2013, 05:07:40 pm »

I wonder why nobody has suggested the Dinovo Edge from Logitech. I have both this and the mini and I prefer the Edge by a long shot.

It is a dog! almost 4 years and works like a champ. Responsive (BT), sturdy, reliable and the touch pad is one of the best I've used.
I had Microsoft wireless desktop 7000 (bluetooth) and really liked it. Some keys broke off and Microsoft quit selling it so I went with the Dinovo Edge. The only think I don't like about the Edge is that you have to hold down the function key to use the media keys and there is no right click mouse button for the left hand. Otherwise it is a great keyboard and only needs to be on the charger every couple of months.

Here is a picture of the 7000. It has a mouse pad on the keyboard so the mouse isn't necessary.

Quote from: pcstockton
With multiple computers and multiple keyboards (Apple Bluetooth and new Logitech K810) I have never gotten more than 8-10 feet of range.  On all computers I have used there wasn't internal bluetooth so I used a dongle.  All dongles claimed up to 30' range as do the keyboards.
If you have any external USB hard drives, they can interfere with the signal. The new USB 3.0 hard drives (or any devices) are even worse. There is more info at Logitech.

rjm

« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2013, 05:15:44 pm »

Help here please.
I solved range problems with a USB extension cable to locate the transmitter away from the computer and at a higher elevation, usually dangling behind my monitor.

pcstockton

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2013, 06:18:29 pm »

Thanks for chiming in on my Bluetooth issue.

The strange thing is I have no attached drives to my HTPC and I only have a single SSD inside.

When I put the dongle on the USB extension and place it exactly where it would be if it was actually in my PC, everything is fine.  It is only the direct connection to the motherboard that causes issues across multiple computers (XP and 7), keyboards and dongles.  They ALL act the same way. ?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 09:52:44 pm »

I've seen "mouse skipping" and "keyboard stuck/repeat" issues with Bluetooth before (with multiple adapters, I bought more than one trying to fix it) due not to hardware or reception, as it seemed at the time... But in the end, due to drivers.

Did you ever install any proprietary drivers (branded) from the manufacturer of one of the dongles?

Bluetooth drivers seem to be a sketchy proposition at best, but I had this experience.  I got an Apple Wireless Keyboard for my HTPC (by the way, love it and agree, that's the best living room keyboard), and I needed to get bluetooth, so I bought some cheap adapter off of Newegg.

It came with a disc.  I never use the discs.  In fact, I pick on my parents and joke when they call and start off:

"So I bought this new <INSERT CONSUMER ELECTRONICS OR COMPUTER DEVICE TYPE HERE> and I plugged it into my computer, and I can't get it to work right, and I did what it said and I put the disc in first, and-"

And I interrupt them and say, "You put in the disc?  Never put in the disc.  Especially when they seem to really want you to."

Anyhow...

I put in the disc.  I know, right?  Anyhow, I installed the driver from the disc in my excitement over playing with my new (and way too expensive) keyboard, and it installed some kind of weird crap in my system tray with a different driver interface from the standard Windows bluetooth setup, and I had these crappy keyboard repeat problems, and mouse issues and all sorts of things.

I tried everything, including uninstalling said drivers via Add/Remove control panel, moving the bluetooth adapter all around the room via powered hubs and active cables run under the floor and KVMs and all sorts of crazy stuff.  I bought multiple adapters, including some way too expensive, hoping they'd be better.

The thing was, I knew it could work.  I had Bluetooth on my Macbook Pro, iPhone, iPad, and my Lenovo and HP at the office.  Same keyboard, same batteries, worked fine there.  I was convinced it was the Bluetooth adapters, or the drivers or something.

Then one day I decided to solve it once and for all.  I downloaded the drivers for one of my many adapters from the "manufacturer's" website and saved it, and then brought up a blank hard drive, disconnected my system drive, and installed a fresh copy of Windows.  Now, when I did this, I'd left the Bluetooth dongle plugged into my machine.  When Windows restarted and launched into the desktop for the first time, I watched it install some drivers, and rebooted and whatever...

Including Bluetooth...  I hadn't installed my downloaded ones yet.

And my keyboard worked fine.  And it kept working fine.

So then I went to work on my real install.  Turned out, those initial crappy proprietary drivers I installed way back when were still "stuck" in there.  Since almost all of the "manufacturers" of those dongles don't really make them, but just attach chips they bought from Broadcom to a USB port, wrap it in some plastic and send it out the door, most (if not all) of those dongles I bought had the same or similar chips inside, and were using the same crapped-up, stuck-in-there drivers.

I had to hunt them down manually, from within Safe mode, with the dongle detached, but I found them, and killed them, and then was able to install sane drivers and use the normal Windows control panel for Bluetooth and everything has been fine since.  The Keyboard never loses sync (unless the batteries go totally dead), and I never get keyboard repeats or mouse problems (my mouse is now a Logitech one with a proprietary dongle, but the old ones were Bluetooth until they met a child-induced end).

I find, if you need to install drivers at all (Windows Update doesn't find them for you), use the drivers directly from Broadcom (or whomever your chip manufacturer happens to be) and they'll work best in almost all cases, not the ones from ASUS or Belkin or whoever-the-heck put their logo on the plastic thingy.

MrC

« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2013, 10:00:59 pm »

"... and I did what it said and I put the disc in first, and-"

Why do they do that.... Why DO they do that?!

That's when you given 'em back standard childhood rhetoric, "If your friend Billy Bob told you to go jump of a bridge, would you do it?   WOULD you?"   ::)

MrC

« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2013, 10:04:14 pm »

I'm very happy with this device, btw.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2013, 10:09:07 pm »

As an aside, I also find it amusing that Matt posted his question in June of last year, and this thread is still going strong.  I'm reasonably sure he's gotten (maybe more than one) new keyboard since then, but we still prattle on.

It is a sore-spot for me, though, and has been for a LONG time.

I've had a HTPC of some sort since 1999.  The early ones weren't dedicated, but were my main PC attached to my TV via a long, long run of S-Video, and then later component when I learned why S-Video was crappy for long runs.  Best thing I've ever decided was to just put a PC in the living room, which was not too long after I hooked up with these crazy characters on Interact way back when.

Input has ALWAYS been an issue.  I've gone through countless keyboards and trackballs and wireless mice and wireless presenters and trackpads and remotes and...

Sigh.  The remote situation got better for a little while, but now seems to have gotten much, much worse since Microsoft essentially "gave up on" Windows Media Center in favor of the XBox (odd, considering that I'm now more and more convinced that Windows 8 is, almost, a better HTPC interface than it is a touch one).  In addition to crappy build quality, mice and keyboards seem to take a licking in the living room (particularly, I'm discovering, with kids around).

Luckily, my trusty Firefly is still kicking along, but they're all gone now (I suspect it has something to do with this) and now there aren't any good RF remote options anymore (I'd really, really like one that would properly wake my PC up from sleep).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2013, 10:14:41 pm »

Why do they do that.... Why DO they do that?!

That's when you given 'em back standard childhood rhetoric, "If your friend Billy Bob told you to go jump of a bridge, would you do it?   WOULD you?"   ::)

Oh, god... I know.

Routers, Wireless adapters, and cameras (especially cameras) seem to be the worst.  And, lately, they seem to be including adware crap and browser toolbars and coupon "helpers" and crap with them too, in addition to the branded "print your pictures through us" crapware they install.  Which is just adding insult-to-injury when their crappy drivers don't even work in the first place (or worse, cause bluescreens on boot).

Makes you wonder why people like Macs and tablets, right?

MrC

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2013, 10:15:34 pm »

I still have that unused Adesso which I'm happy to give away for shipping costs.

locust

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2013, 06:45:43 am »

I still have that unused Adesso which I'm happy to give away for shipping costs.

I would but you've already helped me so much  :D better leave that offer for someone else..

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2013, 09:10:55 am »

I got home on Tuesday and the first thing I found out was that my 1 year old had broken the right Shift key off my Logitech diNovo Edge.  :'( The tabs on the keyboard that hold it are broken. I may try to superglue it in place just to maintain the aesthetics of the keyboard.  :D

pcstockton

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2013, 10:29:03 am »

Hilarious post Glynor.

I am working with the standard fare Win 7 bluetooth drivers.  I will do som research to see if I can determine the chipset used in my current Rocketfish dongle and try those.

I find it very odd though that simply using the extender, but not bringing it closer, gives me better range.

Thanks for the help fellas.

Patrick

MrC

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2013, 11:38:56 am »

I would but you've already helped me so much  :D better leave that offer for someone else..

Help and Love are investments in others; their return - infinite.

PM me your US address if you want it.

Jong

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2013, 11:41:45 am »

As an aside, I also find it amusing that Matt posted his question in June of last year, and this thread is still going strong.  I'm reasonably sure he's gotten (maybe more than one) new keyboard since then, but we still prattle on.

It is a sore-spot for me, though, and has been for a LONG time.

I've had a HTPC of some sort since 1999.  The early ones weren't dedicated, but were my main PC attached to my TV via a long, long run of S-Video, and then later component when I learned why S-Video was crappy for long runs.  Best thing I've ever decided was to just put a PC in the living room, which was not too long after I hooked up with these crazy characters on Interact way back when.

Input has ALWAYS been an issue.  I've gone through countless keyboards and trackballs and wireless mice and wireless presenters and trackpads and remotes and...

Sigh.  The remote situation got better for a little while, but now seems to have gotten much, much worse since Microsoft essentially "gave up on" Windows Media Center in favor of the XBox (odd, considering that I'm now more and more convinced that Windows 8 is, almost, a better HTPC interface than it is a touch one).  In addition to crappy build quality, mice and keyboards seem to take a licking in the living room (particularly, I'm discovering, with kids around).

Luckily, my trusty Firefly is still kicking along, but they're all gone now (I suspect it has something to do with this) and now there aren't any good RF remote options anymore (I'd really, really like one that would properly wake my PC up from sleep).
LOL. Sounds just like me  :)

I too have used more remotes and wireless presenters than I care to think about.

I do have things working pretty perfectly right now with a combo of the iMon IR driven by a Harmony 900 over RF (iMon CAN wake the PC, even from off, shame the future of the Harmony is a little uncertain right now!) and an old (2006) Logitech S510 keyboard and mouse, tucked away in a cabinet most of the time.

Personally, I like to have a separate mouse and keyboard. There are plenty of times when just need a mouse - eg. Selecting videos from the Netflix browser UI, launched from MC - and I like a full size keyboard for admin.

The letters are rubbing off my trusty old S510, so I'm also interested in what is the best true mouse/keyboard combo out there right now.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2013, 07:20:39 pm »

I do have things working pretty perfectly right now with a combo of the iMon IR driven by a Harmony 900 over RF (iMon CAN wake the PC, even from off, shame the future of the Harmony is a little uncertain right now!) and an old (2006) Logitech S510 keyboard and mouse, tucked away in a cabinet most of the time.

Yeah, basically all IR devices can emulate keyboard input, and can wake the computer.

RF devices have to implement some hardware feature of some sort to do that magic, and for whatever reason, only a few have ever come out that can (and all are now long-gone).  I'm sure it was probably just something expensive...

In any case, I'm seriously considering going that route (with an IR with a RF "source" of some kind -- maybe a Harmony, or maybe just one of the five IR remotes I already own, with one of those funky UFO RF>IR thingys with the special batteries).  It always seemed kudgy to me, and the Harmony remotes do all kinds of stuff (and are focused on all kinds of stuff) that I don't need at all.

I need to turn my TV on and off.
Activate one or two things on my Denon.
And control my HTPC.

Full stop.  Items #1 and #2 work fine already with my USB-UIRT and Girder (though I might try out AutoHotKey one of these days).

Harmony, with the ability to controll eleventy-thousand devices, and wizards, and the whole bit, seems like a lot of kludge to do that.  I want it to just talk to Girder.  Why do I need a $300 device to do that?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 07:21:22 pm »

Though, I'd love more insight on the options with Harmony for my kind of use.

I have no set-top boxes at all.
The only HDMI in both my Denon and my TV is the one that is (eventually) attached to my GPU.

Jong

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2013, 01:39:47 am »

Yes you are right, the Harmony 900 is a very pricey solution to your problem and I'm not sure I'd spend that kind of cash right now until I know who is taking over the business from Logitech and what they plan to do.

(Just for your info, the iMon comes with a cable that goes between the power supply and the ATX connector on the motherboard which is why it can turn the PC on from hard off. It may not be of any use to you, not sure it is to me, but it is helpful every now and again).

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2013, 08:07:18 am »

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2013, 09:09:59 am »

I discovered that I can get my remote to wake the computer if I assign a button to the Start Button.  It can't be a macro and it can't do anything else, but having the key mapped to the Start button is handy anyway for Windows 8, and it does wake the computer properly (the vast majority of the time, I still get an occasional problem and I have to wiggle the mouse, but it is pretty rare anymore).

coresare

• Recent member
« Reply #45 on: June 17, 2013, 11:21:59 am »

Lol ran across this while searching.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2013, 09:19:30 pm »

I quite like this
http://the-gadgeteer.com/2011/10/05/lenovo-enhanced-multimedia-remote-review/
I liked the idea (and I have a lot of lenovo computers), so I found someone on ebay (with good feedback) who has a bunch of them they are selling for a discount.

So, I will report back when it arrives... I expect about 10 days from now...

By the way, be careful there seems to be many for sale which are the new model number, yet are not backlit...

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2013, 07:39:15 pm »

I received the Lenovo keyboard remote, and it's excellent !

Exactly what I was looking for.   When I use a Home Theater PC, I am not writing an email (or a post like this one), rather I want to type "Miles Davis" into Youtube and other short phrases.  The Lenovo remote is perfect for this.  It's a little faster than a numeric keypad, even though the keys are tiny.

You can tell that they thought about many things, and it helps that this is the second version.

There is a row of Media keys on the top, and they work with JRiver out of the box.  By the way, I plugged the nano sender into a front USB port and Windows loaded the proper drivers without any disk or download being necessary.

For Home Theater PC use, you really need the backlight, so again, be sure that you are getting one that has it - there are some with the exact same Version 2 model number, that don't have the backlight.

By the way, the trackball-esque device is awesome - it is like a tiny trackpad, but you can also press it to get a left click (and there are also big left and right mouse buttons just above).  It even has a strip that acts like a mouse wheel to do scrolling.

If you are interested, read the review in the link posted above by Samson (and thanks to Samson for the recommendation !).

bspachman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2013, 10:40:00 pm »

I'm digging my latest acquisition: http://www.rapoo.com/showdetails.aspx?P_No=E9180P

Full-size keys, a nice integrated multi-touch trackpad, all in a thin chassis.

It took a while to get here, but I prefer this one to the other 2 Rapoos I tried, and the Logitech K400 right shift key ended up being a deal-breaker.

brad

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #49 on: April 09, 2016, 06:54:21 pm »

I had to turn one thing off (the automatic gesture to flip between open applications by swiping from the left edge), because I kept accidentally activating it.  Deactivating this gesture was confusing because you have to do it from within the Windows 8 settings themselves, rather than in the Logitech SetPoint driver, but once I got it deactivated properly, it now works beautifully (the same gesture still does something, it just only slides over the "switching tray" rather than directly switching to my most-recently-used Metro app).

This is how:
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/30420-app-switching-swipe-direct-recent-app-turn-off.html

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up