INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Network Setup Help  (Read 2332 times)

undertow

• Recent member
Network Setup Help
« on: June 09, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »

I am looking to setup a HTPC server that stores my video, audio, photos, etc. losslessly.  As an audiophile, it appears J River is the best choice for me.

I have Sonos throughout the house that I am sure can access the server.  However, what do I need for video?  Do I need a separate PC for each client (room)?  Is there a thin client solution that is recommended?

From what I understand, I'll need a Windows Server (running J River), then a Windows PC (running J River) for every room I want to view the MC video from, right?

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
Re: Network Setup Help
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 04:13:23 pm »

No, you can also use a box like the WDTV-Live to watch your movies (In case your TV Set isn't with DLNA capability already). Still I'd recomment a PC like a Shuttle XS35GTV2 or similar for the comfort if your collection is bigger than average. The UI of every DLNA box I checked so far was very limited.
Electricians do it 'til it Hz

undertow

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 06:45:26 pm »

Thank you so much!!!  The Shuttle XS35GTV2 is precisely what I was looking for!

I was thinking about using the server for playback in my dedicated home theater, then something like the Shuttle for additional zones that don't need reference video/audio.

Is there anything else comparable to the Shuttle worth looking into?

Any recommendations on the server specs?

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 07:25:48 pm »

Well, my setup can't be used as a measure but some basic thoughts:
Your "server" must run Windows so you can install MC as a library server and share your media. Now it depends how you want to store your files and how much. If you store on a NAS the shuttle could do it, if you want to install the drives in your server because you want your files on NTFS take some AMD board with low power consumption. It depends. However, you don't need much power in this scenario.
In my setup some machines like the Shuttle are connected to TV sets for video and audio using all the same library from my server (MC Library Server)
Now you can control these machines several ways, either with a MCE remote, a wireless keybord, a smartphone with the gizmo app or most comfortable: With MC running on a laptop/netbook (Tremote)
Your question can't be answered with a few short sentences, but if you give out more detailed info what you want to do exactly I will help you tomorrow
(loong past midnight here)

undertow

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 07:47:28 pm »

Thanks again for all the help.  To say I'm excited is an understatement!

My goals are as follows:

1) Media server for lossless, bit for bit DVD, Blu-Ray, Audio, & Photos (woohoo J River!!!)
2) Storage redundancy and backups (family home video/photos are precious!)
3) Audiophile and Videophile playback in dedicated theater (possibly from the server itself)
4) Multi-room access via ethernet
5) Use iPads to control (I believe JRemote is my best bet)

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 03:37:29 am »

The Shuttle XS35GTV2 is precisely what I was looking for!

The recommendations on heise.de are intermingled. The case becomes hot due to the restricted cooling possibilties. The installation of hardware has been a little tricky thereby screw holes were secured by lack. The case comes not as metal material but as shakily plastic. http://www.heise.de/preisvergleich/?sr=648487,-1

I would go with a Silverstone case which is rock solid and owns all possibilities of a full equipped HTPC incl. network. http://www.silverstonetek.com/product_case.php?tno=3&area=en  i.e. GD06 http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=293&area=en

RC23

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 05:16:40 am »

I would contakt user InflatableMouse because he has MC17 experiences with an ASRock ION 3D system. http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=72605.msg491696#msg491696

undertow

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 07:47:38 am »

The fact that the Shuttle is a pre-built bare bones thin client intrigued me.  The reports of cooling concerns me.

Are there any pre-built bare bones solutions that I can setup in each room?  I know I'll pay a bit extra, but it's worth the time saving vs building it myself.

AndyCircuit

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 03:44:32 pm »

Zotac ZBOX ID41 or Zotac ZBOX AD02 perhaps? No room for a optical drive, though.
Whatever you take, only with SSD because the boot up time with a HDD is not acceptable.

Redundancy & Backup: Best practice would be RAID 1, better RAID 5 on your server and a NAS (JBOD, better RAID 5) for the backup
Depending on your needs it can be pricey, I operate a 12TB and a 6TB RAID and could cry you a river.
Remember, ordinary drives are not suitable for 24/7 operation so don't forget to set idle spin down accordingly.

Using a IPad as remote is a bad idea IMO because you are limited to webremote (if I remember correctly)
A pad with Windows 8 will give you way more flexibilty for sure. Even gizmo for Android pads got its limitations. My main prob with gizmo or webremote on my android smartphone are its energy settings, though. After a quiet short time it disconnects the WiFi part and after re-activation MC freaks because the re-connection to my WiFi takes too long. However, expect some trouble and better test a device before purchase.
Pages: [1]   Go Up