INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 8 and MC....yes or no?  (Read 1816 times)

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
Windows 8 and MC....yes or no?
« on: June 07, 2012, 09:34:34 am »

There was a thread JimH started about his experience with Windows 8 and MC, and try as I may to search the forum I can't find it anymore. So excuse me I'm asking the same question again, or maybe someone can just point me to the right place.   ;)

I'm thinking about installing the latest version of the Beta Windows 8 on my HTPC. From that I've read the latest version is stable enough for day-to-day use for music and movies, though other parts are....well, may be buggy. Since this particular HTPC is ONLY for my music and movies - and is controlled by an ELO 22" touchscreen - I thought I might as well try it out.

So does anyone have any opinions on this? Does MC behave well enough on Windows 8 in it's current Beta form to let me use it without any hiccups? Is there a 64 bit version of Windows 8? Or should I stick with my version..Windows 7 64 bit?

Jimmy
Custom PC based music systems and information panels....really.
www.jdsmarthome.com

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?

FelixDaHousecat

• Recent member
Re: Windows 8 and MC....yes or no?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 06:05:29 pm »

Will anybody actually use Windows 8? It's a disaster waiting to happen!
Media Center 21.0.19
Windows 10 64 Bit
JRiver Media Center is soooo good!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 06:07:56 pm »

Win8 is everything Win7 is, but with an additional layer that works well for touch screens, small screens, and a ten foot view.  Metro is just the equivalent of the Start menu.

wilfredjg

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 07:03:56 pm »

Win8 is everything Win7 is, but with an additional layer that works well for touch screens, small screens, and a ten foot view.  Metro is just the equivalent of the Start menu.

Thanks Jim a great way to say what Windows 8 is. Working great for me as a preview software.

phytio

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 11:47:47 am »

Windows 8 is fine. I needed to use Windows 7 compatibility mode for some drivers, and I had a little hassle recovering ownership of my files, but easy enough. I haven't been using the Metro bit much, no need.

SamuelMaki

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2012, 04:22:22 pm »

Windows 8 seems to be also little lighter... and the aero- "feature" will be off in the final version so it should be even more light on resources... So, it is better than seven, but the question might be, is it good enough to pay and upgrade from seven?
AMD Phemon II N930 Quad 2.0ghz, AMD Radeon HD 5650, 4GB RAM, Windows 8 RP x64
Pages: [1]   Go Up