INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pasting Album Art Inside Music File Slow  (Read 983 times)

vagskal

• Citizen of the Universe
Pasting Album Art Inside Music File Slow
« on: June 13, 2012, 01:08:39 am »

Lately I have been doing a lot of updating VA and compilation audio albums with singles cover art for the individual music files in the album. This means a lot of pasting an image file (could be any format since I have to find the singles cover art on the internet) inside the music file (both mp3 and flac), and saving the image file in the file folder since it is not possible to turn that off. If I in one session paste a lot (at least 50 files) I get the impression that pasting is getting slower and slower and that a restart of MC makes it faster. This seems to affect really large cover art (1,500x1,500 and a couple of MB, or even larger) more than smaller art.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Pasting Album Art Inside Music File Slow
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 08:37:41 am »

I created a playlist of an album of MP3 files.  Then I did Action Window > Tag > Image.

Then I kept pasting the cover art you sent me (image data on the clipboard, not a URL) over and over to all the files.

Since the image is huge, I could see memory usage stepping up and down.  However, I couldn't see memory usage grow (indicating a leak).  I also couldn't see things get slower.

If you use Task Manager, can you see memory or 'GDI Objects' grow without bound?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

vagskal

Re: Pasting Album Art Inside Music File Slow
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 02:06:32 pm »

Thanks for investigating!

I have been pasting a lot of cover art art (from clipboard) since I reported the stalling issue (with a huge log file) to you via email and I have not seen any more issues with stalling although I have pasted several equally huge jpg files. MC has also behaved recently and kept up a reasonable speed when pasting. I have not checked memory usage during the pasting sessions, but after a massive session MC uses less than 100 MB RAM. Very good.

The perceived decreased in pasting speed could have been due to this issue I just recently discovered. I have a split view with two "view sets" ("rows") each with several tabs (one of the two view sets is locked). When doing cover art tasks I completely hide the locked view set. Before I hide it I select a tab and a pane search list item in that tab/view where there is no files to view (my new music to tag tab/search list), because every tag/library changing operation in the other view set is slow if a tab based on complex expressions and many files to view is active. Now I discovered that the hidden view set sometimes loses the selection of the pane search list item and reverts to show all files (i.e. pane selection lost), which slows down tag/library changes in the visible view set. I do not recall having seen the not used view set lose focus when it was visible. I have not been able to reproduce the loss of focus issue, but I think a switch of tabs, or perhaps a change of sort order, in the visible view set triggers it.

In short, no more stalling to report despite intense provocation and the tardiness of pasting might have been due to something happening in a hidden view set (which is a completely different issue than the heading of this thread). I report back if I find a way to reproduce.
Pages: [1]   Go Up