INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Set-Top Box Mode?  (Read 1275 times)

benn600

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
Set-Top Box Mode?
« on: June 15, 2012, 10:49:27 am »

Does MC offer or plan to offer a set-top box, or similar, mode?  It would essentially start MC upon Windows boot and maintain focus of MC, allow the user to restart MC, etc.  In a HTPC application, the goal is to never need the keyboard or mouse.  If MC loses focus (because of a stupid Flash update), regain focus.  Or if MC crashes, auto-restart.  Or if connecting to the library server fails, have a 15 second countdown to retry.

There is a lot of finesse that could make a HTPC application of the software much more seamless.  Methods to recover from glitches through the UI.  I would also like to see a background, auto-restart of MC to sync up with the server (deletions often do not propagate) and run software updates.  Ideally, the client would auto-update its MC only after the server did.  In a strictly HTPC sense, the server and client should have the goal of maintaining the same version to minimize communication disconnects.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Set-Top Box Mode?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 10:55:45 am »

Some of that can be done now.  In Startup options, set MC to start on Windows boot and set it to start in Theater View.

I've seen problems with the Adobe installer.  I think they have a problem.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 11:09:09 am »

Just make a shortcut on your remote to start MC and/or enter theater view. I always tell people that if they get lost navigating or MC loses focus, just hit "the yellow button" and all will be well.

benn600

• Living: Santa Monica CA Hometown: Cedar Rapids IA
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 01:17:50 pm »

The remotes that I use I have configured so every button launches MC if MC is not in focus.  That does work fairly well, although I have to update the configuration file for every version of Media Center.

I am also thinking about updates and full syncing with the server, which would be useful options.  Although, yes, exiting MC and then hitting "any" button to launch MC does work.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 02:14:23 pm »

The remotes that I use I have configured so every button launches MC if MC is not in focus.  That does work fairly well, although I have to update the configuration file for every version of Media Center.

If you run Media Server, it will launch MC when you hit the Green Button.
Pages: [1]   Go Up