INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video freeze on TV record-  (Read 1651 times)

theaterdesign

• Recent member
Video freeze on TV record-
« on: June 17, 2012, 02:39:53 am »

I had finally gotten a perfectly functioning HTPC with OTA TV and all as detailed in my previous post here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=70579.0  At the time I was running build 17.0.99, sure wish I would've had the foresight to turn off auto update!

The next time J River updated on a boot my stability was gone! I now get random bugginess/freeze/crashes, it still plays music and OTA TV pretty good. The main issue is TV recording-every time I record a show and go to the "shows" queue in theater view it hangs there with garbled graphics and freezes to a black screen. (think the onboard graphics shut down) The only way out is a hard power down reboot, sometimes two or three times, then I can finally play the recorded TV.

Have tried tons of fixes and everything applicable on the "weird problems" posts. So, reproduced it, logged it and emailed the log in just now. Thank you.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Video freeze on TV record-
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 12:38:01 pm »

I looked at your log.  In it there is only one instance of you trying to play a channel, and then stopped.  No recording of a TV channel was logged.  

Did the problem occur when you try to watch a show that is currently being recorded, or a show that had finished recording?

Did you record in jtv format or ts format?

Please try the latest build on MC17 board.  Build 17.0.173 is available now (yours is still 17.0.165). If the problem is not solved by the update, please email me the logs again, making sure you email the entire zipped package.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

theaterdesign

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 10:53:47 pm »

Hi Yaobing-

It normally occurs when you go to watch a show after recording.

Same exact behavior after the update and a reboot.

Full Log emailed.

I record JTVR filetype, have tried TS also but JTV worked a lot better. Thank you.

theaterdesign

• Recent member
Re: Video freeze on TV record- weird issues solved
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 06:59:07 pm »

OK, well this issue never was able to be solved BUT I found the answer! Was running XP still on a pretty nice machine and after years of sketchiness, which was always so weird forum searches/Yaobing could never figure it out I began to wonder if XP was a big contributor to this. Then I designed a home theater for a client who is a software debugger for all of the big players including Microsoft and we started talking HTPC. He suggested right off that I migrate to Windows 7, mentioning that MS had completely rebuilt all of the networking "stacks" in 7, etc.

Well, got some courage and did it one better-I just went straight to Windows 8 as an early adopter, it was the economical way to go, was a bit concerned it might now work at all but did it anyway. I have to recommend Win 8 as a great OS for running J River. Depending on your control scenario I even like the app-type new desktop interface, pretty clean and low resource use, very easy to configure. I control the PC via a URC MX-450 RF remote using an IR adapter on the PC. To do this, I needed to write a little script to kick Win 8 over to a traditional desktop upon bootup so my macros, etc would work from the remote. Other than that, simple install out of the box. Bottom line is that Windows 8 seems to be a great OS with J River and and migrating to it eliminated a lot of the quirky unreliability I was experiencing with my HTPC.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 10:19:46 am »

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up