INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DNLA or Windows/Samba or NFS for accessing media files stored on NAS?  (Read 10310 times)

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen

Hi, thanks for this great forum !

i have a question regarding the optimal way of accessing my media files stored on my synology ds207+ NAS.

i have a Synology NAS with all my music/mages/video files.

i have a PC running JRiver which is attached to my TV and my Audio System.

I see fundamentally 2 ways to setup my system

1) connect the music / photo / video folders that are stored on my NAS  as network attached disks to my PC (i.e. windows samba)  , and perform an import into the jriver library and play the media

2) invoke DNLA on my NAS and connect my media from JRiver that way as a dlna library

3) same as 1) but NFS attached

All methods seem to work (at least i tested 1) and 2) )....

What would be the great / key / major PROs and CONs of both methods number 1) and 2) ??

Many thanks for any suggestions ..

reg Koen

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen

Hi, one thing i  notice with  right now with  option 2)    is that it looks like i do not get all tags (for example bitrate / bpm etc)   into my jriver library from my synology acting as dlna server ...   

All my media files are apple losless M4A files and they contain more TAGS then i can see in my jriver mediaplayer

Is this configurable somewhere ? Or is this a M4A limitation ? Or is this a synology limitation ?

I assume that my proposed way of working with a samba connected network drive i do not have this problem.

Will try in a minute ...

thanks

reg koen

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe

Hi, one thing i  notice with  right now with  option 2)    is that it looks like i do not get all tags (for example bitrate / bpm etc)   into my jriver library from my synology acting as dlna server ...   

All my media files are apple losless M4A files and they contain more TAGS then i can see in my jriver mediaplayer

Is this configurable somewhere ? Or is this a M4A limitation ? Or is this a synology limitation ?

I assume that my proposed way of working with a samba connected network drive i do not have this problem.

Will try in a minute ...

thanks

reg koen

The manufacturer determines which tags to support using UPnP and DLNA specific fields, the tags are not read from the files. If you are only seeing some tags, it's because that's all the server is sending.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team

I would definitely use MC to manage the library and music files. It's one of its biggest strengths.

Can't answer whether you'd need to use NFS or Samba, I'd go with samba but thats up to you. If you find NFS is much faster for whatever reason then go with that. I can't think of another reason why you would want to use one of the other.

kdwykleingeld

• World Citizen

Hi thanks, i am running now with samba attached drives and this works perfectly ! 
So the Synology is just a File Server and not a DLNA Server anymore. 

Thanks for your remarks with respect to DLNS tags. I think i will post some remarks on synology forums for more flexibilty in the area of providing tag info towards clients.

Thanks Koen

bob

• Administrator

The manufacturer determines which tags to support using UPnP and DLNA specific fields, the tags are not read from the files. If you are only seeing some tags, it's because that's all the server is sending.

Sorry for the misinformation, we were missing the bitrate. I'll check for others. Thanks for the heads-up.

simbakuba

• Recent member

I am running Media Center on a win 7 (home edition) with networked drives (data stored on a linux machine).

In Windows Media Player, I can access all my data. In J River MC, I can only see data stored in the local Win 7 machine. I have tried to add the netwroked folders to the Main Library several different ways but no joy thus far. Has anybody been through something like this?

I have had a DNLA server (TVersity) installed on my win 7 machine for some time now. It normally ran fine - I am able to see the win 7 machine in Playing From and when I load the library, it loads all the data. Unfortunately, this has now become intermittent - not sure why but I suspect that MC updates (am currently running MC 17.0.177) may have something to do with it. Any ideas?

Thanks

bob

• Administrator

I am running Media Center on a win 7 (home edition) with networked drives (data stored on a linux machine).

In Windows Media Player, I can access all my data. In J River MC, I can only see data stored in the local Win 7 machine. I have tried to add the networked folders to the Main Library several different ways but no joy thus far. Has anybody been through something like this?
That exactly the way I run at home. I know there are multiple ways of doing this but I make the share to a network drive and add that to the auto-import list in MC.
I have had a DNLA server (TVersity) installed on my win 7 machine for some time now. It normally ran fine - I am able to see the win 7 machine in Playing From and when I load the library, it loads all the data. Unfortunately, this has now become intermittent - not sure why but I suspect that MC updates (am currently running MC 17.0.177) may have something to do with it. Any ideas?
Thanks
It should work however, it seems to be a bit confusing to some devices when seeing multiple servers on the same PC. I think there are issues with control over the discovery protocol. I generally only run one server at a time in which case I just turn off windows media sharing and any other DLNA server programs on my PC.
Pages: [1]   Go Up