INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Pop" sounds between dsf files playback  (Read 3763 times)

Monteverdi

• Junior Woodchuck
"Pop" sounds between dsf files playback
« on: June 20, 2012, 09:41:24 pm »

When MC finished running one dsf file and moved to the next one, a "pop" sound ocurred. It happened between all dsf file playbacks. It never happened with PCM files nor dff files. The subject dsf files have been converted from dff files downloaded free from 2L website. I used the free software Audiogate for the conversion. The DAC is Mytek and is connected via a USB 2.0 cable. Audio has been set to WASAPI-Event Style and Video has been set to DoP for bitstreaming. Grateful for advice.

ampex

• Recent member
Re: "Pop" sounds between dsf files playback
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 02:52:08 am »

When SACD ISO is played one or many "POPs" in the ending of the tracks i hear. Setup. WIN7 64Bit, 16Gb RAM, 2600K, RME UFX, ASIO, JR-17.172, downsampling PCM 24x192
In the first 17xxx build who is support SACD ISO possible to play, i dont hear any problems.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 12:04:04 pm »

When MC finished running one dsf file and moved to the next one, a "pop" sound ocurred. It happened between all dsf file playbacks. It never happened with PCM files nor dff files. The subject dsf files have been converted from dff files downloaded free from 2L website. I used the free software Audiogate for the conversion. The DAC is Mytek and is connected via a USB 2.0 cable. Audio has been set to WASAPI-Event Style and Video has been set to DoP for bitstreaming. Grateful for advice.
There is a link to Mytek instructions at the bottom of this page:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/DSD_Format

pcstockton

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 02:29:02 pm »

I am guessing these are NOT being ripped per the newest methods on a PS3?  Those now "properly" ripping SACDs are doing some kind of silence or click removal to remedy this.

Have you played the offending files on other players to see if it is the files or MC?

-Patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

sorepinky

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 03:04:00 am »

I have the same issue.  All my .dsf files are ripped using a PS3 and the latest methods.  Just a tiny "click" between tracks.  It's annoying when the tracks run together without a pause (eg. Prokofiev Romeo and Juliet LSO Valery Gergiev).  I have 64Win7/Alpha USB/AESEBU/W4SDAC2.  I wonder if this can be silenced somehow.  Regular FLAC CD rips (dB Power Amp) and DVD-A rips (DVD Audio Extractor) and HD downloads play fine.

Edit:  This appears to be a click at the beginning of each .dsf track.  If I press STOP on Gizmo and then resume playback, the click sounds at the very start of the track.  Also just generally starting any .dsf track does it too.  It's a faint pop in both channels like a pop on an old LP - enough to be annoying.  If you press PAUSE and then resume there is no pop.  Also the pop is NOT evident at the beginning of a track if the Gizmo Next Track or "skip" button is pressed during playback of the preceding track.

Is the noise on the file (I have no other way of playing it) or is it something that MC could be doing better?  I am using build 17.0.180 with all settings made per CA recommendations: WASAPI Event/exclusive access, no volume levelling etc.

Edit:  OK no one has reponded so I did a little experiment - converted the dsf files to 24/176.4 flac using Audiogate with their proprietary dithering algorithm and not only have the pops vanished when played back with JRiver, but the audio quality seems to have improved markedly over JRiver on-the-fly DSP downsampling.

sorepinky

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 02:57:39 am »

Well...  the pops appeared again for certain albums converted with Audiogate from DSF to FLAC where the tracks run into each other without a pause (ballet and opera etc).  But I have fixed it.  The clicks may be in the files (I don't know), but on another system they are not audible.

The problem was sufacing by virtue of by JRiver's "Use gapless for sequential album tracks" setting which had been ticked/checked all along - thinking that it would remove gaps where there should be none.

In the explanation for this setting JRiver states: "This will override a selection of cross-fading or other between track modes and use gapless between any tracks from the same album with sequential track numbers. This way, an album will be heard exactly as the studio engineer intended while allowing cross-fading or other switch tracks modes for mixes."

Perhaps this could more clearly read: "This will override a selection of cross-fading or other between-track modes and use "gapless" between any tracks from the same album with sequential track numbers when played straight through."

I found on my system that with ""Use gapless for sequential album tracks" turned OFF, contiguous tracks in DSF or FLAC-from-DSF files play back without a perceptible gap and also without a POP if the "switch tracks" setting is set to cross-fade (smooth) .1s (100ms).

Cheers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up