INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC17 Playlist Problems  (Read 11904 times)

JHJxxxx

• Recent member
MC17 Playlist Problems
« on: May 14, 2012, 12:44:24 pm »

I have built a playlist of about 250 songs.

I use Naim's nStream, JRemote & My River to control my Naim NDX, which is connected to my Windows 7 PC via cat5. I run the latest MC17 build.

Playing the songs in the playlist does not work correctly. Sometimes one song plays over, sometimes it will play 2 or 3 songs and then stops and keeps playing a single song. This happens even if I try to run MC17 on my desk top and play the playlist from there.

If I use nStream I can run USB sticks from the application but if MC is on, about half way through a song it will suddenly go to UPNP and starting playing a song from the playlist.

When I try to do anything with the playlist it will hang for a while and then start again.

I had Twonky on my PC but removed it.

Anyone know what the issue might be?

JHJxxxx

• Recent member
Re: MC17 Playlist Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2012, 12:03:34 pm »

I've removed WMP from my PC. Restarted my iPad, updated JRiver this morning and downloaded WebGizmo.

My playlist - called Favourites, still does not seem to work. I've tried controlling it from JRiver itself and it just seems to play one or two songs and then go in to a loop of playing one song. The whole list shows in now playing. If I try to move to the next song the software locks up for 10 second then moves on to a random song (not the next one in the playlist).

I've just built a new playlist of 10 songs. It plays the first, then the second, then goes back and loops the first song - this running from my desk top. On top of that, the earlier Favourites Playlist is now empty - lucky I backed it up really.

Playing from a playlist should be straight forward - I choose Play and the playlist plays (just like in iTunes), same for random play etc.

I've paid for the full version of this software and I've bought two iOS remote players and downloaded web gizmo. This is all very hard work to do what other media players do without this hassle.

Is there a fault?

I can't find any useful information about Playlist in the wiki and I don't want to waste more time doing something this simple. I'm also loathe to have wasted so much time and money on a product.

Can any of the mods point me in the right direction here please?

Regards
Huw 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2012, 12:13:18 pm »

When you say "latest" build, can you report the full version number?

JHJxxxx

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2012, 12:35:31 pm »

I can Jim. It's Media Centre 17.0.1.151 (Registered). That came down this morning.

My re-imported playlist is hanging when I change songs. It is about 10 second then it plays the next song. If I don't manually move the song on it just stays in a loop.

Regards
Huw

FYI: I use AVG, Safari, Spotify, My Speakers for my Computer are B&W MM1 and they work fine - USB DAC built in the speakers. I was using WASAPI - Event Style, which changed to DirectSound and is now back as WASAPI - ES. Neither seem to impact on how playlists work.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 12:37:29 pm »

So you're using JRemote as a DLNA controller, MC is a DLNA Server, and the Naim is a DLNA Renderer.  Are you sure it's capable of acting as a renderer?

JHJxxxx

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 01:14:24 pm »

Other people are Using the NDX with JRiver so I'm using it on that basis.

To clarify a little:
I have JRiver on my PC, it shows all my albums in FLAC, that I have ripped using dBpoweramp and have on a HD within my PC.

The structure is:
E: Music/Squeezebox/Band Name/Album Title/Songs

The player on my PC works fine. If I load a playlist I can run through it and there are no problems.

I have a wired connection to the NDX. The NDX plays songs and is UPNP compatible, which I understand is the same/similar to DNLA.

Under Playing Now it shows:
Overview
Player
NDX-4844

If I start MC17 and click on a song, it will play on the NDX. Which i assume means it does what it should.
If I click on Next, it will go to the next song.
If I click o a third song, it hangs for a second or two then moves to the next song.
If I use WebGizmo it will move to the next song then seems to lose it's way, as the application does.
If I use the nStream, Naim Application it shows JRiver Server as the only option to play.
If I chose an album it goes to it. When I ask it to play the first song it goes randomly to a song on MC desk top from the album I was playing.
If I re try to play the album vis nStream, it plays the first track then the 2nd Track, if I press next it goes to the next track. That all seems to work fine.
Using nStream it plays the first track of a Playlist. On the desktop it shows it is playing a different song.
When i go to the next song on nStream, it plays it. Once again it show a different set of details on the Desktop and now on the nStream. Now it's started looping.
Similar things happen when I use JRemote etc. Sometimes they just reset.

It sounds like it can render a song and it sounds like JRiver can send info to my NDX. I do not remember this being an issue with MC16 but i did not use it that much.

All this messing about puts me off software and I just use nStream to control and play 32 GB USB stick - which work fine.

However, since I paid for the software because it seemed to work OK I thought I might actually use it.

Have I miss understood something?

Regards
Huw

pcstockton

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 03:38:04 pm »

The NDX is certainly a compliant renderer.

Is there ANY chance you have ever heard 2 songs play at the same time?

The fact that "Overview" is popping up is troubling.  When I had this happen It was due to mixed content playlist and was due to Images NOT being enabled.

-patrick
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

JHJxxxx

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2012, 03:58:51 pm »

I have played one song to the NDX and one to the PC desktop player. But I have not heard 2 songs trying to play through the NDX.

The whole system seems prone to lock ups and crashes when going through the NDX. I have had no issues at all using my B&W MM1s.

I followed the set up details as suggested on Computer Audiophile today, to see if that migt help. But no luck there.

I've just made sure repeat and shuffle are off and it still crashes / goes wrong.

it does seem to default to repeat sometimes - I have never set it to repeat (does not seem to be a cuse of the problem though.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2012, 10:58:50 am »

Right-Click on the renderer zone in Now Playing and under DLNA controller options try disabling SetNext support.

JHJxxxx

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2012, 11:50:14 am »

Hi Bob,

It appears the NDX does not communicate back to the MC17 desktop - according to Naim. So the first song plays then confusion sets in. This with a playlist or an album.

I have also been having issues controlling MC17 from an iPad, using JRemote, nStream etc. That led me to give up on JRiver, 2 days trying to the get software working was enough for me. Anyway, looking on the Naim Forum, it appears only 3 people use JRiver and 36 use Asset. So I downloaded Asset and set it up. Basic functions via nStream work well, but JRiver is miles ahead on functionality - I find this a real pity, especially as I paid for JRiver.

Anyway, Asset has very little functionality in the Playlist area, so I did a bit of reading and found that you could export JRiver playlists to run from Asset via nStream. I had a playlist called Test with 10 tracks on it and tried a variety of conversions to see which worked best. Then, once I had that working I thought I'd export my 250 track playlist called Favourites. Asset would not play that Playlist. I thought it must be corrupt or might be too big.

I decided to build a new Favourites playlist of 99 songs and export it. Once again Asset would not play the playlist. For some reason I decided to change the name to Top Tracks. I exported it again and it worked. I then increased the tracks to over 200. I've been listening to it al afternoon. So for some resin it looks as if the name of the playlist - Favourites  was the problem. Is this possible?

JRiver now seems to be playing the Top Tracks playlist via nStream. I find it incredible that changing the name of a playlist can make a difference.

Regards
Huw

dave.harwood

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 05:06:32 am »

Other people are Using the NDX with JRiver so I'm using it on that basis.

Regards
Huw
I have the same problems - used to use MC16 and never a problem - so assume this is a bug introduced in MC17 - how do we log this as the case? is it likely to be fixed?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 09:56:59 am »

I have the same problems - used to use MC16 and never a problem - so assume this is a bug introduced in MC17 - how do we log this as the case? is it likely to be fixed?
If you are using MC 17 as the controller, you should try disabling the SetNext support by right clicking on the renderer zone in Playing Now, DLNA Controller Options. The seeming randomness in moving on to the next track, repeating, etc can be caused by a faulty implementation of SetNextAVTransportURI on the renderer. As far as I know we are the only control point that supports SetNext and there are LOTS of buggy implementations of it on renderers that don't show up with other control points since they don't implement the SetNext function. If that doesn't solve it, you could also try disabling Transport Events in the same area.

dave.harwood

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 03:58:53 pm »

If you are using MC 17 as the controller, you should try disabling the SetNext support by right clicking on the renderer zone in Playing Now, DLNA Controller Options. The seeming randomness in moving on to the next track, repeating, etc can be caused by a faulty implementation of SetNextAVTransportURI on the renderer. As far as I know we are the only control point that supports SetNext and there are LOTS of buggy implementations of it on renderers that don't show up with other control points since they don't implement the SetNext function. If that doesn't solve it, you could also try disabling Transport Events in the same area.

tried your suggestion -i.e. disabling set next - works a treat - thanks a million, loving this product again
Pages: [1]   Go Up