INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie trailers  (Read 5758 times)

Jong

• Citizen of the Universe
Movie trailers
« on: June 21, 2012, 07:44:21 am »

I have seen various old threads on these going back years, but I didn't find answers:

- Please, please could we have web service for playing Apple Trailers. This is the biggest thing I will miss moving from MeediOS. It is not that hard - Apple provide various xml/RSS feeds with an up to date list then all that is needed is for the player to spoof the Quicktime User Agent to play the video. I currently do this with Mplayer.

- Please could you recognise a file containing "-trailer" in the movie folder, e.g. movie-trailer.mov, (XBMC standard, but used also elsewhere) and provide an option to play the trailer as well as play the movie.

- It would be great if you could add a trailer download, or http link, to your metadata services. Again, you just have to spoof the user agent to download Apple Trailers. To get around network availability/bandwidth issues, especially for HD trailers I really do still think we need the option to download trailers, not just stream them from a URL in the library.

TMA-1

• World Citizen
Re: Movie trailers
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 08:15:59 am »

themoviedb.com has trailers in the movie data. Perhaps we could just include it in the scraping process when using "Get Movie and TV info". And of course a way to view the trailer from the movie info view.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 11:25:27 am »

I download trailers now into a folder (/trailers) that automatically sets the media sub type to "trailer". I usually get the 720p trailers (since I can't see a difference between the 720 and 1080 anyways).
MC automatically scrapes the data and imports it. I don't have any extra steps. It works just like it does when I rip a movie to MC.
Then I have a view (roller) under the Movies roller in Theater View called "Trailers". Works exactly as expected.
I don't download the Apple embedded trailers though, there are plenty available (of the same trailer/movie) to get the ones that work in MC.

xplain

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:36:56 am »

I know it's not exatly what You want,
but as descriped in this thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71027.msg481035#msg481035
there is a nice and easy way to get trailers into your library.

BE SURE TO READ THE RED TEXT BEFORE DOING ANYTHING

When set up You don't have to do anything, other than watch the new downloaded trailers.

Jong

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 12:17:23 pm »

Thanks xplain. I should really have posted in that thread :-[ If someone want to merge feel free!

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 04:13:44 pm »

I download trailers now into a folder (/trailers) that automatically sets the media sub type to "trailer". I usually get the 720p trailers (since I can't see a difference between the 720 and 1080 anyways).
MC automatically scrapes the data and imports it. I don't have any extra steps. It works just like it does when I rip a movie to MC.
Then I have a view (roller) under the Movies roller in Theater View called "Trailers". Works exactly as expected.
I don't download the Apple embedded trailers though, there are plenty available (of the same trailer/movie) to get the ones that work in MC.

Yeah,  but how can we get each trailer to be an option for that trailers movie?  Did I ask that right?  I mean....  If I select a movie and before I select watch can I also have an option that says watch trailer.  The options would be  - Watch trailer,  Watch Movie.

NickF

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 04:43:04 pm »

I guess you could set them up like episodes within a season and then they would be listed and you could select each or the watch all option.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 05:05:41 pm »

I moved from Meedio /MeediOS a while back. There are many things I wish we could incorporate into MC. The trailers would be nice like you described it. I really miss that in Meedio. It was sooo easy to add these plugins ourselves. Having user made plugin modules is sorely lacking in MC.

Jimmy
Custom PC based music systems and information panels....really.
www.jdsmarthome.com

MrHaugen

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 05:22:34 pm »

Having user made plugin modules is sorely lacking in MC.

I could not agree more. After testing all kinds of functionality in other Media Centers with plugins, you're feeling a bit naked in MC17. And it's so easy! Click, click, download and install automatically, and it's ready for action. Sure, there is plugins in MC, but none that really work for theater view. With other players, it's possible to download what ever you want, to add the wanted functionality. I think such an approach would increase the theater view experience drastically. As well as easing up on the development time spent, and the constant nagging of improvements in theater view from annoying and demanding users like my self ;)
- I may not always believe what I'm saying

Jong

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 01:56:59 am »

I guess you could set them up like episodes within a season and then they would be listed and you could select each or the watch all option.

Nick.
Nick, there are 2 requests here and I'm sorry if that has confused things:

1. The ability to have a library of movie trailers (normally ones for movies 'coming soon') to watch as entertainment on their own. What you suggest would work for this. Ideally there would be a choice to either download or simply put a URL in the library and stream.

2. What preproman was asking for was my other request, that there be an option on the movie detail screen, along with the poster and movie details, to 'play trailer' and for this to play the trailer for that movie - useful when you have a few people round and are deciding what to watch. Again, ideally you have a choice whether the trailer is locally downloaded, like posters, when the movie is added to the library or whether you rely on a web link. There should also be a choice of quality - SD, 480p, 720p, 1080p.

Personally, in MeediOS, my 'coming soon' library contains URLs to 480p trailers - I am prepared to accept, like YouTube, it may not always be reliable - but the trailers for my own movies are all downloaded in 720p. The additional space for a trailer is nothing on top of 40GB for a bluray!

There is a third request from some to be able to automatically choose to play some trailers from the trailer library before a movie, like at the cinema. I can see that might be nice for some, but personally that doesn't interest me.

MrHaugen

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 02:11:17 am »

Closest you come now is using scrips like Xplain linked to. I use this, and import it as Trailers and add them to a new trailer view. This is a manual task, and there is no link between the movies and trailers.
I hope one day that this can be done, and that we have a "watch trailer" option for each movie. Either locally or URL/streaming. This could be added to several things. Videos of artists, trailers for TV Shows and so on. It would be so cool, and flexible.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 02:54:44 am »

I think the easiest way to implement this would be if the developers would add a [Trailer] tag that a person could enter either a local file (file:///D:/Trailers/...)
or a remote file (http://www.imdb.com/...)
In a single file view in Theater View like below if you arrow down to the [Trailer] tag and press enter it opens that file.
Sean

Jong

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 03:06:06 am »

That's great, thanks. That will work for local trailers especially.

Ideally though, we still need an importer that automatically populates that tag, based on user choice of quality and local/remote.

Also, the importer and the video player both need to be able to spoof the QuickTime user agent to download/play Apple trailers (not as dodgy as it sounds, browsers pretend to be other browsers all the time!).

We also need a way to import existing local trailers into that trailer tag. As I said before XBMC has a standard for this that others use too - any file called *-trailer.* in the movie folder is imported into the trailer tag for that movie. Is there a way to do that automatically with JRiver already? I'm still a bit of a noob!

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 03:45:14 am »

I think the easiest way to implement this would be if the developers would add a [Trailer] tag that a person could enter either a local file (file:///D:/Trailers/...)
or a remote file (http://www.imdb.com/...)
In a single file view in Theater View like below if you arrow down to the [Trailer] tag and press enter it opens that file.

That's it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 06:58:21 am »

... XBMC has a standard for this that others use too - any file called *-trailer.* in the movie folder is imported into the trailer tag for that movie. Is there a way to do that automatically with JRiver already?
This could probably be added to Carnac.

MrHaugen

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 07:10:31 am »

That would be a good start. To populate a path in the Trailer tag upon import, if it exists. If not found, add the URL from tmdb for streaming. Then, all that is needed is to allow adding the Trailer field to info panes and allow playback of it. Or add a Play Trailer option on the roller perhaps?

Jong

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 08:00:31 am »

Yes, that sounds good!

TMA-1

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 01:15:43 pm »

This sounds great!

preproman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 10:39:25 am »

Sounds like a good move forward.

pixelapex

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 02:55:37 pm »

Is there any progress on this?... Ability to watch trailer for the movie in the library will greatly improve relationship with my wife  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up