INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Support for HRT Streamer II - jittering [Solved with powered USB hub]  (Read 13385 times)

rikirk

• Recent member

I just purchased the HRT Streamer II that I connected to my PC on WIN8 RP via powered USB port and to the AudioEngine2 via High Resolution RCA Monster Cable.
The firmware is the last available from the manufacturer’s website.
I setup JRiver 17 according with the forum and support sites as follows:
WASABI - Event style
Device Speakers (Music Steamer II) with open device for exclusive access.
Buffering 100 millisecond
Sample rate in output: no change.
Bitdepth: 24-bit

Prebuffering: 6 seconds
Silence at startup: 1/4 second
Switch tracks: standard gapped - 0.1s
Use gapless for sequential album tracks.I tried any other buffering, still I can hear distinct clicks when I play flac tracks from the local dedicated HD or directly from the Audio CD source. I reinstalled Windows Media Player and – of course – I cannot hear any click like when I am playing from JRiver via Direct Sound.
ASIO is not compatible (no sound).
Could you please help me in resolving the issue.
Thank you, Riccardo

Vincent Kars

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Support for HRT Streamer II - still clicks during play
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 11:22:54 am »

Buffering 100 millisecond

Fool around a bit with this value, lowering might help.
A couple of USB trouble shooting tips on my website: http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_Trouble.htm

rikirk

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 01:40:13 pm »

Vincent,

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Your website is one of my favorite source I found where I can learn about digital music reproduction.

Actually, I am in touch directly with the manufacturer who is very responsive and we are testing several options at this moment, including the buffer size which I found best at 50 ms as suggested. Still I can hear some clicks here and there in both WASAPI mode.

Strange enough the DAC does not recognize ASIO, so Kernell Streaming
at 50 ms is the way to go for now. My impression, though, it is that WASAPI is more dynamic and with more detail in the reproduction.

If it's a USB cable issue then... I learnt something more today.

I will definitely report back the result of the test if I come up with something worth to share within the community.

For now, I just want to say, that I am very satisfied with the superb customer service from HRT.

Regards,

Riccardo

Vincent Kars

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 02:25:25 pm »

The HRT doesn't support ASIO as far as I know. It is not in the specs.

Success

Vincent

rikirk

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 06:23:43 pm »

I ended up trying the D1 from Audioengine and it works flawless in WASAPI. I think I will return both since I am not impressed by the sound compared with the Streamer II.
The ASIO4all option was suggested by the customer service at HRT, but every time I changed the setting in JRiver, Win8 crashed. I am not able to play ASIO with the D1 either.
Very disappointed I can't use the Streamer. Now I have to start over my quest for a DAC at an adequate budget for the A2. The new Epiphany Acoustics will be already a stretch.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 06:30:58 pm »

You may just be seeing a Win8 problem.  It's not quite ready for fulltime use.

DarkPenguin

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 06:47:46 pm »

I ended up trying the D1 from Audioengine and it works flawless in WASAPI. I think I will return both since I am not impressed by the sound compared with the Streamer II.
The ASIO4all option was suggested by the customer service at HRT, but every time I changed the setting in JRiver, Win8 crashed. I am not able to play ASIO with the D1 either.
Very disappointed I can't use the Streamer. Now I have to start over my quest for a DAC at an adequate budget for the A2. The new Epiphany Acoustics will be already a stretch.

Works fine with wasapi event style for me.  At least it does if I hide the jriver library from my antivirus.  You have to run the HRT with pretty low buffering but that doesn't give the system a lot of room for any slowdowns...

rikirk

• Recent member

I am very pleased to inform that the issue was in the USB cable. As soon as I tried a new one I got from a local store, the dac was playing magnificent. I have no doubts now in keeping this fantastic component and finally listen to a very good sound in my little space where I spend most of my working day.

For future reference my best setting is with buffer at 25 ms in Wasapi event mode.

Thank you for sharing my post and please accept my apologies in bringing this issue up without having done my own homework before.
I already replied to the manufacturer sharing my greatest satisfaction.

JimH

• Administrator

Thanks for reporting the solution.

rikirk

• Recent member
Re: Support for HRT Streamer II - jittering [Solved: HSvsFS USB error ]
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 11:46:51 am »

I have to apologize again. The problem was not in the USB cable as I thought.

Thanks to the customer support from HRT I found out that the jittering was caused by a conflict in the Full Speed USB port of my PC. They suggested me to connect the DAC to a powered USB hub and this resolved the issue. A learnt my lesson.

Hope this can be helpful for others.

adydula

• Recent member
Re: Support for HRT Streamer II - jittering [Solved with powered USB hub]
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2012, 08:33:56 pm »

Hello,

I had a similar issue with a HRT MSii+ dac and JRiver.

I am not using a USB hub as suggested. I lowered the pre-buffering to 25ms and no pops or ticks.

I am running Win 7 on a new HTPC I built with a ASUS F1 A75 I Delux. Its a FM1 AMD chipset with integrated graphics and dpes HD passthru for movies etc..a mini itx board that has hdmi, and most every other connection to boot....a wonderful board...

http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_FM1/AMD_A75

It drove me nuts when i ran into this clicking and popping stuff while playing flacs...but it was an easy fix...

I did buy a external powered USB hub just in case I had to go that route...the HRT support was 10 out of a 10...just like JRiver support...

All the best
Alex

rikirk

• Recent member
Re: Support for HRT Streamer II - jittering [Solved] -
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 05:13:27 pm »

I decided to give a try to MusicBee v.2.0 in WAS-API mode, connecting the DAC directly to the USB port of my computer and I did not suffer of any single jitter, so far. I will stick with this option for now on, waiting for a new release from JRiver that will eventually fix the issue. In this respect, I tested the last version of Foobar2000 as well and I got the same negative (positive for me!) result I have with MusicBee.

JimH

• Administrator
Re: Support for HRT Streamer II - jittering [Solved with powered USB hub]
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2013, 11:21:15 am »

Here's the apparent solution:

I had a similar issue with a HRT MSii+ dac and JRiver.

I am not using a USB hub as suggested. I lowered the pre-buffering to 25ms and no pops or ticks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up