INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there a way to permanently skip a specific track when playing an album?  (Read 2539 times)

Photogeo180

• Recent member

Often I don't like some tracks from a CD, but I don't want to erase them from my library, I just want to skip them automatically.

Is there a way to skip them when playing back the specific album without having to erase them every time from the playing now list or without having to build playlists from every album that's in your music library?

In iTunes you can choose what tracks will be played/skipped from an album by checking/unchecking them.

Thank you  :)

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Cheers

You could specify a rule such as rating is >=2 for the view and give all the songs you don't want to play a rating of 1.
I know it isn't what you are looking for but I don't know of a way to automatically skip a song every time the album is selected.

Sean

Photogeo180

• Recent member

Sounds like a good idea.
Is there a way to give the same rating e.g.2 to my whole libray at once?
If yes, after that it will be easy to give 1 to the songs I want to skip.
Much obliged for your time and answer.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers

Go to a view that shows all of your audio files
1 select a file
2 press ctrl+a to select all
3 press alt+enter to open all of the files in the tag window
4 navigate to the rating tag and select 2 from the drop down. (if the rating tag is not visible click the little wrench in the tag window header for display options)
You will be given a prompt something like do you want to save tag changes for x files.

Just to be on the safe side create a library backup before making the changes in case something goes wrong. Everything should be fine, I have done huge edits
many times without a problem but I know the first time I don't backup it will be the time something goes wrong.

Do you know how to set rules for a view?
Sean

Photogeo180

• Recent member

I would try View>Customize.
If correct, the next step should be under Settings>Included Files>Set rules for file display>rating etc?

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers

If correct, the next step should be under Settings>Included Files>Set rules for file display>rating etc?

That's it
Sean

Photogeo180

• Recent member

Excellent, will try it later today!
Thank you very much  :)

rick.ca

You can also use 'Rating is not 1' as an Access Control rule, and then rate anything '1 star' to hide it. That saves having to add a rule to every view. To make them all visible (e.g., for maintenance or tagging), just disable Access Control.

Photogeo180

• Recent member

Problem solved!

The ideal solution for me is to set a rule using comment>does not start with>lkj

lkj is a random but very easy to type sequence of characters on a qwerty keyboard (good choice if you are right handed and not very good in typing as myself)  ;D

So I keep my original comments and ratings, I add "lkj" before my comment and the unwanted files disappear!

(For users who are not experienced in using rules: my "lkj" could be replaced by any character, word etc that suits best your needs/taste)

Thank you again Scolex and rick.ca, you help making this forum a nice place! 

rick.ca

Since the suggestions offered made use of [Rating], this may seem contradictory, but I'll make this point anyway... If you're to make full use of MC, you're likely to be adding hundreds of 'tweaks' similar to this over time. If they're done by adding codes to existing fields intended for other uses, you'll find them difficult to maintain consistently and without error.

Tagging such files with one star is very convenient (e.g., if you've programmed a remote to set ratings, there's nothing more you need to do), but you may want to retain one star as a meaningful rating ('not very good, but not bad enough to hide'?). If that were the case, I would add a boolean field [Hide] with a single Acceptable Value of 'Hide'. That would have a single and clear purpose, and easy to maintain—it can only be set to 'Hide' or cleared, and in a maintenance view that does not exclude them, it's easy to spot the files for which it has been set.

I'm not suggesting a separate field should be added for all such purposes. You might want to use list-type [Attribute] and/or [Version] tags (also with specific Acceptable Values). If so, it may make sense to include 'Hide' in one of those. Having similar attributes in one list field makes it easier to use in Rules for file display or smartlists. In either, imagine selecting [Attributes], does not contain, and then checking whatever values you want to exclude (Hide, Poor Quality, Alternate, Remix, etc.).

Photogeo180

• Recent member

Wow...
Just finished trying Access Control....
And added a new field named 'A_HIDE' with a single acceptable value of 'h'....
And now I will customize the tag pane...
I'm learning...  :D

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers

No offense but you lkj prefix is something you would do with an app that is limited and to be honest it is a waste of MC's power.
With the power that MC has such a routine should never be needed and if you ask for a solution here while exhibiting some patience you will
be shown a simple solution 99% of the time.
MC is not the easiest or most intuitive program out there but it is by far the most powerful when it comes to thing like this. I constantly read about
or discover things on my own that MC can do that make me go WOW and this is after 6+ years of use.
Sean

Photogeo180

• Recent member

No offence for sure  :)

First because learning is a very challenging process for me and second because you are absolutely right:
JRiver is a software with enormous depth. What is more, the quality of support in this forum is excellent and makes it a very efficient way for newbies like myself  to start exploring the huge potential of the program. Also in my case patience was not needed because the replies came very fast!

This is my third year in the US (BTW sorry for my basic English) and it took me a lot of time to understand the question “are you a Mac or a Windows type”.
Working with iTunes and JRiver is a very good way to find the answer! 

rick.ca

JRiver is a software with enormous depth.

It seems you understand the nature of the beast. Not only is it challenge to learn it's capabilities, that depth also means there are usually a number of different ways to do the same thing. It's not just a matter of learning how it works, but deciding which methods of doing things will work best for you. No one knows how everything works, or should have much difficulty in finding better ways of doing things—no matter how much experience they have. So learn to enjoy the learning—those who don't use iTunes. ;D

Με τον τρόπο, τα αγγλικά σας είναι πολύ καλύτερα από τα ελληνικά μου. ;)

Photogeo180

• Recent member

I'm deeply impressed!
And I seize the opportunity to broaden your Hellenic horizons with a little ancient Greek:

"Γηράσκω αεί διδασκόμενος" (by Solon the Athenian)

If they had computers in Athens of 600 BC, then for sure this would be the motto of happy Windows users!

rick.ca

Yes, this may be the only way we can be happy about aging. :-\

I wonder if Pythagoras would have been happier with a Mac...
Pages: [1]   Go Up