INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Updating Music Fields  (Read 849 times)

nila

Updating Music Fields
« on: April 30, 2002, 06:54:45 am »

This is something that you probably wouldn't think of but it was a big pain for me recently.
I've started trying to sort my music properly using all the id3 tags you provide, especially rating so I can pull up all good music easily.
The problem is I wanna update the id3 tag while the song is playing. Doing this however restarts the song (fair enough as it has to modify the mp3).
This is extremely annoying however and an option to: Update tag after song has finished playing  - would be HUGELY welcomed so I could easily update songs while they were playing without worrying about it having to restart.

An alternative option might be to simply memorise the position of the track before updating, write the info then return to the same spot in the track again and continue playing. This would simply create the effect of a tiny jump in the sound.

Oh yeah, and for the rating - maybe 1-10 instead of 1-5 would be nice. Just to give me a bit more variety with the rating. Right now it's a bit too rigid.

scub

RE:Updating Music Fields
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2002, 07:32:35 am »

If the rating were changed what would happen to songs that have already been rated?  I have rated a great deal of songs and would hate to have to go through and reset them.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2002, 07:33:06 am »

I don't know why this is not fixed, maybe in "C" it is more complex, don't know.

I did this in VB and you take the current play position prior to the save, and hold it, stop play, close file, save id3, open file, set position, start play.

etc...
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

nila

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2002, 08:19:00 am »

Scub - they could introduce a small feature that allowed you to automatically decide what all your ratings got moved to if they changed it to 10.

i.e. - all 1's stay as 1, all 2's become 3, all 3's become 6's. all 4's become 7's all 5's become 10's
And let you choose what each old value gets updated to.

BigCat21

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2002, 05:54:58 pm »

This would be a GREAT feature!  There have been many times when I have wanted to do something to a file while its playing.  In general, with ever growing song libraries, sometimes the only time you want to mess with the file (import, move, delete, rename, re-classify tags) is while it is playing.

I also like the 1-10 rating idea.

I'm back,
~BC21
Pages: [1]   Go Up