INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unresolved issue & question #1  (Read 1721 times)

asio kid

• Recent member
Unresolved issue & question #1
« on: June 25, 2012, 01:49:50 pm »

I ripped a movie dvd to my hard drive using DVD decrypter. I played it from the hard drive copy (whose filenames were identical to that of the original DVD - VTS, TS, & VOB files) through MediaCenter & it worked exactly like the original DVD.

I then used MediaCenter to burn a copy to a blank DVD, selecting the DVD Video option, which also worked perfectly. The filenames were again identical. It played fine on my PC via MediaCenter and on one of my standalone DVD players.

However, it would not play at all on another of my standalone DVD players, possibly slightly older than the first one.

Is there any way I can make a copy of such movie DVDs that will play more reliably on most standalone DVD players? Any idea why this one played on one player but not on the other (on which the original DVD plays fine)?

Following JimH's advice, I found and downloaded the latest version, 17.0.172 and burned a new DVD from the movie on my hard drive. When I tried it in the DVD player that couldn't read the copy I made with 17.0.165, at least it didn't say "Can't Read Disc." But it just showed "Title 7" in the display on the DVD player, and nothing worked: it wouldn't play, show the title, etc.

Is there any other way I can make a DVD from the movie on my hard drive that will play on that player, and on others that may have similar fussiness? If not with MediaCenter, is there some other program that will reliably make such copies

2. I ripped a DVD to a file folder on my hard drive called "Music Man." I used the "Get Movie and TV Info" feature to correct the erroneous tags that came up. Now they are correct. The Name field shows The Music Man.

However, the Organization Tree lists the movie as 1962 (its correct release year), with a funny little square icon showing a 6 in front of "1962". How can I get the organization tree to properly list the title of the movie, which is Music Man?

I posted this question June 10, but have received no reply.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Unresolved issue & question #1
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 01:57:26 pm »

What model is the dvd player that is not working?
Where is it showing "1962" with the funny icon?  Can you provide a screenshot?
Thanks.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

asio kid

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 07:09:40 pm »

Both the DVD player that works and the one that doesn't are Sony's. The one that works is NS 55 P. The one that doesn't is NS 700 P.

I cannot provide a screenshot anymore, because the program has locked me out, saying my trial period is up. If you extend my trial period, I'll be glad to send you a screen shot.

As I explained in the original post, the 1962 with the funny 6 icon in front of 1962 is in the Organization Tree. It is in every individual listing for this movie, under genre, etc.

Jong

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 03:19:16 am »

From experience, I suspect the problem might be one of the media you are using rather than the data.

Some old DVD players will not play RW media, some don't play +R, some prefer +R. Whatever type you used before try another. Definitely try write-once media, not rewritable. If you used + media, try -, and visa versa. Lastly, if you are using a cheap, no name brand, try a decent branded media.

asio kid

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 08:29:48 pm »

Bump.  Is there any way I can make a copy of movie DVDs that will play more reliably on most standalone DVD players?

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 09:13:14 pm »

I've been having a simular problem with burning CD-R's from my library with a Sony DRX-830U. I had no problem when MC17 1st came out but lately the Media Center will not burn CD-R's. I fortunately have a MC16 backup that burns with no issues. Just thought I'd finally bring this issue up.

Cheers,
Robin

satfrat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 11:05:18 pm »

I've been having a simular problem with burning CD-R's from my library with a Sony DRX-830U. I had no problem when MC17 1st came out but lately the Media Center will not burn CD-R's. I fortunately have a MC16 backup that burns with no issues. Just thought I'd finally bring this issue up.

Cheers,
Robin

"Can't start the write"

This is what I get when trying to burn a CD-R. Back to MC16 to burn another CD-R,,, maybe the next software will address this "burning" issue (pun intended).  ;D

Cheers,
Robin

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 12:11:57 am »

Bump.  Is there any way I can make a copy of movie DVDs that will play more reliably on most standalone DVD players?

A common mistake made while copying ripped dvd's is that people burn the filestructure that was ripped to a dvd. This creates a dvd which will look like a movie dvd in windows, because you see the files and folder structure in place but its not actually a movie dvd, its a data disk with files and folders.

A movie dvd has a different structure than a data disc. Personally I've used IMGBURN to burn either ISO's or dvd folder structure back to a dvd, to create a movie dvd. I never had an issue with playback in hardware dvd players, except for the times where the hardware player would not accept home burnt dvd's. Which brings me to the next issue, there are dvd-r and there are dvd+r discs. +r type can be set to be -r by Imgburn and this is what you need for many hardware players. I think Imgburn does this automatically but its been a few years since I've burnt dvd's.

Sparks67

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2012, 11:30:54 pm »

The most common mistake in copy a dvd is buying the wrong brand of DVD's.   Not all brands are the same, and some not will play in some DVD players.   
Check your DVD player, by going to http://www.videohelp.com  and it will list the model and brand to use.  My method for ripping is the same as it was in 2008, and
burn is IMGburn.  The best brand that I found has been Verbatim.  I never had issue with those DVD's.   I had problems with Ritek Ridata in the past as well.  Actually,
I used to recommend that brand.  Although, now I just buy them from Amazon.  I never have issues with Verbatim now.

audioriver

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 01:00:01 am »

I ripped a movie dvd to my hard drive using DVD decrypter.

Don't use DVD Decrypter. It was great in its time but it's very old and since it's not updated for years it could be the source of your problems. Use something modern, like AnyDVD, try burning with ImgBurn too and use quality media like Verbatim.
Windows 10 Pro x64
Pages: [1]   Go Up