INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Red October and MadVR  (Read 1841 times)

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Red October and MadVR
« on: June 28, 2012, 04:15:06 pm »

I've been reading some more about RO and MadVR and there's something I don't quite get.

When I enable Red October HQ, do I still need to configure stuff in MadVR or does the default already provide the high quality? I've seen the options to have it decode VC-1, H.264 and Mpeg-4 but they are all disabled by default.

If MadVR needs to be configured after enabling ROHQ, what does ROHQ offer over standard if you don't configure MadVR?

And lastly, is there a guide on how to configure MadVR? There's plenty to be found on the net though but maybe there's something more specific with regards to it integrating with MC?

Cheers.

Hiram

Re: Red October and MadVR
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 05:20:30 pm »

It's configured by default to provide you with generally the highest quality playback possible. The decoders in MadVR are disabled by default as this task is configured to be done by LAVfilters. And you probably shouldn't bother reconfiguring MadVR if you aren't experiencing any issues with the current/default configuration.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 05:23:05 pm »

We recommend that you use Red October Standard or, if your PC is an i5 or better, Red October HQ, and that you don't alter any settings.  If you want to play with settings, you can choose custom, but you are on your own, and we don't advise it.

MadVR is used with RO HQ, but not with RO STD.  MadVR requires a good CPU.

Hiram

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 05:30:10 pm »

MadVR requires a good CPU.
I think that you might have meant "a good GPU".

NickF

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 05:35:31 pm »

I think that you might have meant "a good GPU".

No, Jim meant CPU, hence the mention of i5 but both have a bearing, particularly if you use hardware acceleration.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Hiram

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 05:37:45 pm »

No, Jim meant CPU, hence the mention of i5.

Nick.
Why though? The work that MadVR does is "99%" done by the shaders of a GPU. The only reason that comes to mind is the inability to use native DXVA, but the "Hardware accelerated video when possible" option is not enabled by default anyway, so that doesn't really make sense.

Update: I checked and it seems to be a bit more CPU intensive than EVR, but not all that significantly.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 06:10:49 pm »

Jim meant "GPU (as in one with fast memory access to the shaders) - really any newish DDR5 GPU
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 01:27:07 am »

Thanks folks. Appreciate the feedback.

Appearently MadVR does make good use of the GPU as there is no significant increase in CPU usage.
Pages: [1]   Go Up