INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 10" Win 7 tablet for $380 - why use Gizmo as a remote control?  (Read 2586 times)

Jonahsdad

• Recent member

I've become a big fan of using a full function MC client as a remote.  I can update tags or look up info about what I'm listening to.  I can have the desktop MC experience while sitting in the living room listening to the stereo.

I've used Gizmo on Android tablets, but Gizmo is really limited.  Wouldn't you rather have a full copy of MC rather than a crippled version?

I saw an ad for: Dell Latitude ST Atom 1.5GHz 2GB 64GB SSD 10.1" Capacitive Windows 7 Professional Tablet for $379. There wasn't a 7" but they might be out there for even less.  At least for controlling your music, why would you want an Ipad (yes I know they are good for other stuff).

Anyone have any thoughts on using full clients as remotes, or using a Windows tablet?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: 10" Win 7 tablet for $380 - why use Gizmo as a remote control?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 04:04:28 pm »

There's a reason Windows tablets are not popular and as far as I'm concerned every version of Windows up until 7 won't work on tablets.

One of the reasons being is that the resolution is too low and for higher resolution tablets, the dpi is way too high for a Desktop OS. The controls and menu's are so small you'll miss them more often than not and text is too small to be read comfortably.

Desktop OS"s really aren't made for touch screen devices, it just doesn't work very well. It sounds great but really, it isn't.

I think you're better off waiting for the new Windows tablets with the Metro interface and wait for MC to update to run on it.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 04:13:41 pm »

I use a win tablet in the same manor quite often and prefer it to using my phone.
The phone has benefits though because of the unlimited range. I run out of WiFi
signal before I run out of volume in the backyard.
Gizmo is quite limited which is why I am working on a remote that uses WebGizmo.

One of the reasons being is that the resolution is too low and for higher resolution tablets, the dpi is way too high for a Desktop OS. The controls and menu's are so small you'll miss them more often than not and text is too small to be read comfortably.

That is only a problem if you don't create a custom gui for what you are doing. My tablet is 12" 1400x1050 though so resolution isn't really an issue.
Sean

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2012, 05:53:20 pm »

Desktop OS"s really aren't made for touch screen devices, it just doesn't work very well. It sounds great but really, it isn't.

I think you're better off waiting for the new Windows tablets with the Metro interface and wait for MC to update to run on it.

Agreed.  I have a couple of the older style Windows tablets (the ones that shipped with Windows XP Tablet).  They weren't anywhere near as good as I'd hoped, and they're both collecting dust (the newer of the two has been upgraded to Windows 7, and that made it marginally better, but it still isn't good).  Way too often, you end up having to either plug in a mouse or pull out the magnifier to get things done.  The on-screen keyboard is dismal.

I've also tried out one of the newer Windows 7 "slates" that shipped last year.  A little better in a few ways because of the capacitive touchscreen, but only marginally.  The other problems all still applied, and that one couldn't even use a good stylus.

We'll have to wait and see how the new Windows 8 ones work, but I'd wait.  Now would be an awful time to buy a Windows tablet.

EDIT:  However, on a large-format system with a good touchscreen, Windows 7 is pretty decent.  My Perceptive Pixel 27" system works great.  The on-screen keyboard is still basically-useless for anything other than a single word or two of text, but otherwise it is very usable.  I think Windows 8 will make it much, much better, so I'm looking forward to that.

Can't carry that thing around without a cart though.  ;)  The PC weighs a ton and the screen two-and-a-half.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Jonahsdad

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 07:20:00 pm »

I would never suggest getting a Windows tablet now because I want a tablet.  I agree completely that if you want a tablet, get something else.

I'm suggesting that a Win 7 tablet (or even a Win XP) would make a better remote control for JR Media Center than the Android device running Gizmo I use now. 

On the other hand, I get the impression from Glynor's comment that the on screen keyboard on a Win7 tablet (at least the one he used) is useless, so even light typing like tagging an album would be an exercise in frustration.

I think I would really enjoy one of those fold-over convertibles that have a keyboard behind the screen.  I know they're clunky, but it would never leave the sofa.  Might have to leave it plugged in all the time because the battery will be lousy. 

pcstockton

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 09:35:18 pm »

iPad + Splashtop (or other screen sharing app), may be your best bet.
HTPC (ASRock Mini PC 252B: i5 2520M Sandy Bridge/HD3000 - 2.5 GHz - 8GB RAM - 256GB Intel SSD - Win7 Home) > MF V-Link 192 > Wireworld Ultraviolet > Naim DAC > Naim NAC 102/NAPSC/HiCap (PSU) > Naim NAP 180 Amp > Naim NACA-5 Speaker Cables > Naim Ariva

rjm

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 02:05:21 am »

iPad + Splashtop (or other screen sharing app), may be your best bet.
yes, splashtop is amazing
major splashtop 2.0 update yesterday, seems quite good
Pages: [1]   Go Up