INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: iPod with 240GB and compatible with MC17  (Read 2042 times)

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
  • Keep on doing mambo ...
iPod with 240GB and compatible with MC17
« on: June 29, 2012, 07:47:02 am »

For the people hungry for Giga bytes on an iPod. I have an older iPod classic (with a broken harddisk)  refurbished with a 240GB harddisk. Guess what, it works. In the beginning when transferring music to the iPod MC showed strange numbers on the time left to sync and percentage ready. But now it looks fine.

The guy in Holland that did this for me is a lot cheaper then http://www.rapidrepair.com/shop/ipod-hard-drives.html
I paid about €125,- and everything included.

I will have two more iPods reworked and then I can use MC for the time being with my older iPods. My problems of no support for the IPods are over. Only thing left is a trick to use lossless on the iPods instead of WAV files. Any suggestions?

I'm happy for the time being  :P

Marsies .....

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: iPod with 240GB and compatible with MC17
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 09:04:06 am »

Only thing left is a trick to use lossless on the iPods instead of WAV files. Any suggestions?

I'm happy for the time being  :P

Marsies .....

There are command line utilities for ALAC, Apple's lossless encoder. Convert any APE, Flac or Wav to ALAC and they should all work fine.

Personally, I just use mp3 on my 160GB Classic as the ipods are of such miserable quality you'd never hear the difference and you're just wasting space ;).

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 09:24:12 am »

Hahaha, this can start an endless discussion about sound quality.

Unless your (partially) deaf everyone can hear the difference between mp3 and lossless. And I agree, the iPod is about the worst you can buy considering  sound quality. If you use a dock you will bypass the EQ part which will be a big improvement.

Yes, I'm an audiophile that has special cables and an expensive system.  ;D

The best portable device in sound quality is a Cowon. I have the X7 and it's superb. Only the controls are bad and getting playlists to work is almost impossible, but it's possible. It would be a lot easier if MC would support the 'official' playlist format. In my experience no other device needs that, besides the Cowon's.

And concerning your trick I would really like to know how I can convert the wav files on the iPod to ALAC, please tell me !!

Marsies .....

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 09:51:45 am »

Link with command line parameters: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=154233
That link also contains the links to the download. Follow the isntrcutions as it needs sometihing from Quicktime I believe (unless you already have quicktime installed?).

Under conversion settings in MC choose external encoder and point to the executable you downloaded/extracted. From the parameters page, pass the correct parameters to the tool. From the top of my head you'd use %IN and %OUT as variables for input filename and output filemame. If the ALAC command line tool supports tags you should be able to pass tags like artist, album, trackname etc using variables too.

I would help you better than that but I'm not home right now so I can't test it and comeup with the parameters to add to MC.

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 01:26:03 pm »

THANK YOU -- THANK YOU -- THANK YOU

I will try this monday. The weekend is already packed with other things. If this will work I will be very happy  ;D

Marsies .....

MarSies

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 07:00:38 am »

IT WORKS, ME SO HAPPY !!!

It took some time. Spent three hours fiddling with the command line. Mailed the guy who made this and he gave me a link to this forum were Alex B gave the command line options.

My 240GB iPod is now busy converting music to lossless ALAC. Only the percentage completed values are not accurate. Who cares  ;D   ;D   ;D

Marsies .....

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 01:34:23 pm »

Well done, glad you managed to work it out.
Pages: [1]   Go Up