INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reference PC build?  (Read 1348 times)

Ed.M.

• Recent member
Reference PC build?
« on: June 12, 2012, 03:33:53 pm »

Greetings! I've already searched for a reference system but couldn't find anything.

Does JRiver have a reference HTPC build? Why not? And why not two or three, i.e. sub-$300, sub-$600 and a sub-$1000 price points. Build each system, test it and tell us exactly what it can do. Help us eliminate guesswork out of components purchase.

I, for example, would love to build an HTPC. I want it to bitstream everything and play BD ISOs across the network. I know that I can go with an AMD APU chipset solution and ... and that's where I am stuck because I have no info on HDMI multichannel bitstreaming, I have no idea if/what CPU power I will need for BD ISOs, etc etc. I am a PC tech but a hi-fi HTPC is so much more than building a PC :-)

When I was about to built a gaming rig with my kid a few months ago, Tomshardware.com has proven to be a very good resource: they build PCs in difference performance/price points and tell you how they score and why you'd want to spend more or less. Having all that info at my disposal made picking the right components a much easier task. And, most importantly, the new build booted on our first attempt and has been running problem-free so far.

Computer building is fun, but having already committed to wrong hardware, it can be a frustrating experience too. It would be nice to have JRiver's help here.

Thanks,
Ed.

Pages: [1]   Go Up