INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC file type description in Windows Explorer  (Read 986 times)

audioriver

• Citizen of the Universe
MC file type description in Windows Explorer
« on: July 01, 2012, 12:05:29 pm »

I've mentioned this in an old post, but I'll create a specific thread. I'm not 100% sure if MC is the one that handles this, but here it goes: in Windows Explorer (and WE replacement programs), all files that MC handles by default in Windows, are described in 'Type' as "Media Center file". Video, audio, it doesn't matter. So, in an Explorer list that contains FLAC and WAV files for example, it is impossible to sort them by type. The solution would be to add the file type to the Windows description: "Media Center FLAC file", "Media Center MKV file" etc.

It is of course very common to have different file types within a single folder, so this could be useful.
Windows 10 Pro x64

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
Re: MC file type description in Windows Explorer
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 02:49:50 pm »

I too would like this. Strange that after all these years it still the same as it's always been. Better descriptive text would be great.

John

NickF

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 03:15:46 pm »

I have just had a look in File Associations in Control Panel and Media Center seems pretty much unique in overwriting the default Type description.  Surely it would be best to keep the default.

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Vincent Kars

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 03:53:42 pm »

If you open the Explorer:
Yes, you have JRiver Media Center files all over the place
No, you can’t see if it is FLAC or MP3, etc
Very annoying
Wrong type of marketing
Pages: [1]   Go Up