INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View based on a location  (Read 1617 times)

eharry

• Recent member
View based on a location
« on: July 05, 2012, 08:41:57 am »

Hi,

I try to create 3 new views based on an order location. This order contains all my high-resolution files.
1. view should be Genre
2. Artists
3. Albums

So far I have managed to get the Artists, but the problem is that all remaining artists (that are not located in this specified order) appear as "Unassigned" in the view...

Thanks for help!!!

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: View based on a location
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 11:21:48 am »

I'm not sure that I understand what you have written.

When you create a new view, you can specify what files are to be included based on attributes such as media type or location or genre.  It sounds as though you specified that only files from one folder (and sub-folders) should be included.

The list of Artists you see in that view will contains only values present in files that are included in the view.

For example, if you have no Hi-res files with "Elvis Presley" as the Artist, "Elvis Presley" will not appear in the list of Artists in the view. 

---
You appear have used location as a way to include only Hi-res files.  You could also use the database fields "Sample Rate" and "Bit Depth" to specify that only Hi-res. files were included.

Bill

eharry

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 01:06:03 pm »

"For example, if you have no Hi-res files with "Elvis Presley" as the Artist, "Elvis Presley" will not appear in the list of Artists in the view.  "

That is my problem: every no Hi-res file appears in this view under artist "unassigned" (here you can find every no Hi-res file of the library)

Harry

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 05:13:12 pm »

Your original post was not very clear.  I tried to explain how MC works based on using MC for over 6 years.  You responded by repeating the same puzzling statement as before. 

"That is my problem: every no Hi-res file appears in this view under artist "unassigned" (here you can find every no Hi-res file of the library)"

If you felt that my reply did not apply to your question, you should have made the effort to explain what you had done more clearly than

"I try to create 3 new views based on an order location. This order contains all my high-resolution files.
1. view should be Genre
2. Artists
3. Albums

So far I have managed to get the Artists, but the problem is that all remaining artists (that are not located in this specified order) appear as "Unassigned" in the view..."

Perhaps someone else can help you.

Bill

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 10:50:00 pm »

Just taking a wild stab here.

1) eharry, is English your first language?
2) Bill, does it help if you assume 'folder' every time you see 'order'?

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 12:43:29 am »

Just taking a wild stab here.

1) eharry, is English your first language?
2) Bill, does it help if you assume 'folder' every time you see 'order'?

> 1 ...

No excuse. eharry asked for help in English and clearly expected to receive replies in English..  His reply to me was rude and uncooperative.  He made no effort to provide more detail in explaining his problem.

> 2)...

No.  I worked from the assumption that an order location was a folder and that he had created a view that included only files from the folder containing hi-res. files. I think that I stated those assumptions clearly. I do not want to spend any more time guessing what eharry did.

Bill

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 12:52:30 am »

That is my problem: every no Hi-res file appears in this view under artist "unassigned" (here you can find every no Hi-res file of the library)

Using 'Location' or 'Folder Path' as a category can be confusing. It will, in effect, use the filepath as a navigation tree, but it's not the same thing. What it's doing is using the different levels in the selected path as nested categories, but it does not restrict the files displayed to that path. In other words, using a 'Location' of ..\Music\Hi-Res that has subfolders \[Genre]\[Artist]\[Album] will use [Genre], [Artist] and then [Album] as Categories for the files in ..\Music\Hi-Res, but will also include all other files in the Library. Since they're not in the specified location, they will appear as 'Unassigned'.

To restrict the view to high resolution files, add an appropriate rule to the Rules for file display for the view. Or a better solution might be to use an 'Expression Category' that segregates high-resolution files (e.g., If(IsEqual([File Type], flac), Flac, Other) ), followed by a 'Location' set to ..\Music. You would then use the first category to select the desired resolution instead of using a separate view. That also has the advantage of allowing you to use the view to display all the albums of an artist, regardless of resolution.

That being said, the solution that makes the best use of the capabilities of MC is to properly tag all files with [Genre], [Artist] and [Album] fields, and use those as Categories in views. If that hasn't yet been done, most of it can be added with one application of Fill Properties from Filename.

eharry

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 10:29:17 am »

Hi,

@rick.ca: that was exactly my problem. Thanks for the explanation!

@Listener: my apologies if you sensed any offense. That was not on my mind. Thanks for trying to help anyway.

@fitbrit: you're absolutely right.

Harry
Pages: [1]   Go Up