INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MEDIA JUKEBOX PROMO FOR 8.0 RELEASE  (Read 3195 times)

PeterS

MEDIA JUKEBOX PROMO FOR 8.0 RELEASE
« on: April 29, 2002, 01:07:01 pm »

As we get nearer to a release for version 8.0, we have been thinking about ways to get the word out and generate as much attention as possible. As well as the usual marketing huff and puff, we are willing to think "outside the box" and do something radically different, fun and exciting. That is where you come in. It is well known that MJ users are the smartest (and best-looking) jukebox users out there (flattery), so we would like to get you all brainstorming ideas for a promo that would rock the planet (or at least raise a few eyebrows). We have a budget, albeit limited (bribery) to make this work so give us your best and boldest ideas. We will consider anything (desperation) within reason. Ideas that involve users would be particularly welcome. Here's one to get you started: Willing MJ users all go into work on a designated day with home made T-Shirts that declare such things (in black marker?) as "I love MEDIA JUKEBOX", "Download it today!", "MJ fever has me in its grip"... Anyone that sends us a photo (or the T-shirt) will get a new and improved official MJ T-shirt in return.

Chico

RE:MEDIA JUKEBOX PROMO FOR 8.0 RELEASE
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2002, 01:17:55 pm »

Hmmmm...  I'll make the T-shirt, but they frown on engineers wearing T-shirts to work (at least externally).  But, it would definitely get some attention.  The real way to get attention is to get some cheerleaders (or major facsimilly) to wear the T-shirts!

dragyn

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2002, 02:25:16 pm »

What you need to do is get on TSS (The Screen Savers/TechTV) and demonstrate it somehow. That should get a lot more ppl interested in MJ. I'm sure they have done it with the "other" players (Real, MM, etc.)

PeterS

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2002, 02:42:27 pm »

Tech TV is definitely in our sights. They have been primed about the 8.0 release, but only want to look at a final release. We'll let everyone know if we get featured.
Cheers,
Peter

Collin

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2002, 03:03:46 pm »

TechTV is an awesome idea.  If I hear that MM is the greatest media player in the history one more time, I think I will scream!  Honestly, they recommend it above all others and I know from first hand experience the MJ is much better.

Collin

peleton

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2002, 05:44:04 pm »

What is TechTV/TSS?

p.

ZRocker

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2002, 06:08:50 pm »

peleton,

goto http://www.google.com and do a simple search for TECHTV and you'll see.

doc6068

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2002, 09:14:07 pm »

What ever you do be sure and push your strong points.

It's very hard to come up with the defintive mm application.  Media Jukebox is the closest to come to this.  I have tried ALOT of other programs.

1.  No other application has the CD LABEL/ CASE print application except Audiostation and it misses the boat on every other front.  I bought CD LABLER for $20.00 (usally $40.00) and it still doesn't work as nice.

2.  Total flexablity on your encoder selection.  You get to pick what kind of encoder you would like to use.  Plus being able to use a external encoder makes the options endless.

3.  Above all the configure-abilty of the program.  There is nothing the program won't do that can be asked of it (in regards to mm).

4.  There is no beter organizer, period.

I'm sure there's more, these are just some of mine.

I'm sure that other people have had frustrations with their mm software, and would think by posing MJ as the solution to this you may sell more.  Use TechTV or whatever means to get the word out.  I'm gonna buy my copy in a few days here.

thanks for listening.
Mike

gvag

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2002, 12:35:42 am »

I note that eMusic has not included MJ in their link for players that can download an entire album.  How much bribery do they need?  I assume that if I left click that the button will start MJ's downloader, I always right click and select Download Manager from the context menu (I am totally paranoid about anything that might let Real audio into my system)

I did some searches with Google and noted that there were very few commercial links showing up on the results page for term like "mp3 encoder" - none, "audio extraction" - none, etc.  Even "mp3 player" only brought up one sponsored link and a eBay main link.  What does Google charge for sponsored links?

How about pumping up the volume in the name="keywords" meta tag.  Seems to me you could benefit from including ogg vorbis, mp3 plus, audio extraction, DAE, wave editor, download manager, cd burner, cdrw software, nero, easy cd creator...  Just to name a few.

I note that MJ's homepage has a link to this forum under its cutesy Help button.  It took me a while to get accustomed to this crazy place but I've come to enjoy and appreciate it.  I still think you should have a main menu item that says "Support" which links to a Form with directions for filling out a support request and how to get sys info from the Help menu in MJ.  Maybe you could even incorporate the form into MJ's help menu along with a "how to post >>>" button that would bring up a FAQ on Interact.  Trust me as a basically shy, insecure paranoid posting to a forum can be a daunting experience.  You should do all you can to ease your users into it.  How many potential customers have you lost by assuming MJ's lack of standard support - phone, email - is not a problem.  I think it's more than a few.

How about a promotion thru eMusic.  Work out a MJ/eMusic bundle between your two companies and/or discounts to each others current customers.

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2002, 02:00:45 am »

Agree with gvag. Your route to the forum through interact is obscure. How can it hurt to place a link or button in a more conspicuous place?

Also, you need to pearl dive a little bit just to get to MJ from your home page. Is this the best promo? I think you need a little redesign.

Also, the mainstream tech writers are either ignorant of MJ or don't want to write about it for some reason. I don't recall your getting a mention either from Mossberg in the WSJ, or the Circuits section of the NYT. Have you spoken with them?

An aspect of this was discussed in a prior thread that JimH initiated a while ago. Comes down to what your target audience is, and whether MJ will be a cult item for the technologically adept and some wannabes like me, or will pitch itself to a broader audience. There, we talked about whether mainstreaming would require compromises in its depth and flexibility. Here, you're asking about how to get the word out most effectively, whatever the word is.

Seems to me the two points are interdependent.

HTH

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2002, 05:30:32 am »

You know what would be cool?

You seen those anti-smoking ads about infecting truth and all that? I always thought the one where all of those airplanes dragging the banners were swooping down on that beach... like 50 of them or something. 50 banners all proclaiming the greatness of MJ, with the www.mediajukebox.com address... That would get people's attention.

PeterS

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2002, 06:20:21 am »

We don't want to exploit anyone, and we will try to do the right thing every time. Unlike some of our competitors, we try to stay away from stuff that may offend or annoy -- masses of unwanted spam for example.
FYI Regarding emusic.com. We are talking to them about a possible relationship, but I can't say any more at this point.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2002, 07:43:07 am »

I Say add a "mediajukebox messager" with more options than yahoo messager (plus version only)
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Brice

• Recent member
  • Computers, Web page building, graphics/Audio
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2002, 10:36:44 am »

Hi!

I wrote lockergnome, who also has the program "call for help" on tech TV,
He also has a huge mailing which I get on various subjects like "digital, windows etc.

I have purchased a few products he pushed including "Boomer", a fantastic program that
creats swf audio files and video/graphic files.

His HomePage is http://www.lockergnome.com
Regards!
 -=Brice

Dell Dimension 8250 P4 @ 2.8GHz
512 meg PC1066 RDram   533 FSB
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
64 meg Nividia Geoforce Ti4200

IRONPANTS

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2002, 12:03:19 pm »

1) I heard it snowed in MN. Send out Matt to write www.mediajukebox.com in the snow.

2) The next time users/JRiver employees go out to a bar or to a restaurant, they should write www.mediajukebox.com on their napkins when they leave.

3) Make fun of the whole "I just opened up a bar so I'm going to promote it by sending out hot chicks to other bars clad only in our t-shirts and tight pants" by doing the same with all the MEDIA JUKEBOX developers. Write "MEDIA JUKEBOX" on the front of the shirts and "I'm a player" on the back.

4) Send Shawn to raves with free t-shirts, candy and glo-sticks.

5) Tailgate at Twins' games with labtops and speakers. And beer. Lots of beer.

6) Send developers downtown without shirts. Marker www.mediajukebox.com on their backs.

7) Write www.mediajukebox.com on sidewalks in chalk. People ALWAYS stop to read these messages.

8) Print up MEDIA JUKEBOX user trading cards and start the next trading card craze. Just like Pokemon, each "user" will have certain attributes. It will be hard to defeat Lise and her "Organization."

IRONPANTS

PeterS

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2002, 02:51:28 pm »

I am not sure that unleashing shirtless developers on an unsuspecting public is such a good idea, but thanks for the nice collection of unusual and wacky suggestions!

Peter

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2002, 04:16:19 pm »

>> Send developers downtown without shirts. Marker www.mediajukebox.com on their backs
or one letter one each chest to spell out "www.mediajukebox.com"

JimH Can be the "J"
Matt Can be the "M"

the rest that don't match can be fillers.

females can were a t-shirt with there letter on it.

maybe the goodyear blimp?
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

hvy duty

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2002, 06:42:03 pm »

Well back to the basic. C-Net is still one great option and there is a lot of downloads and you were featured at one time. Why not give the basic away with a burner package or Gateway after they see all the options available with MJ I am sure they would spend the money to get the full version. You know the old saying give a little and take a lot.  You are really not giving anything away just getting noticed. We all know it's hard for the little kid on the block even though he is tougher and better. It's one heck of a jukebox you just have to get the word out and the price, people tip that much for dinner and then they have interact that's worth their money.  
Three things the will help.  Get the word out. Get the word out. Get the word out.

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2002, 05:41:15 am »

Gentlemen,
(ahem) I have deleted three references to "wet t shirts" so far.  Can we please keep it on a slightly higher level?  As I've said many times, it is nice to have ladies around, and if we act like it's a guy's locker room, they won't stay.  So, reel in your tongues, please.

El Caudillo
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Alonso Nefarious

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2002, 07:04:10 am »

When you check into a House of Blues Hotel, the key holder folder also holds a CD of blues to play in the CD player in the room.  Great hotel, (Plug) Great gimmick.

Do something similar, as in get some great tracks together, say in .APE, and burn onto disks that check for and auto-install MJ, then play the tracks.  Do a series of them.  Say local artists by city and/or region.  Folks who aspire to break national, and want exposure.  Include album covers, art, lyrics, video...show off the whole package.  

If it installs a small, fully fleshed out library, it helps folks understand what it's all about.

Place in check out lines in PC shops...

Sponsor stages at summer festivals. (Cheap, cool)

Sponsor a GranPanPan tour.

(Uck) NASCAR. (UnCeap, UnCool)

(Please Please)  WAP > MJ > JumboTron event during 7th inning stretch.  Folks vote for song during stretch with cell phones, MJ plays on "Worlds Largest Jukebox"

(Obvious) Bundle with everything in sight.  Players, burners, printers, sound cards, etc.

Can't stress enough -MJ is not as widely known as it should be.  Many of the popular .MP3/Audio/Burner/etc. sites feature other players, but not MJ.  Go after them.

-Nef

gvag

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2002, 01:43:49 pm »

I was going to come back here and post this idea but this guy did it in another thread:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
KingSparta 04-30-2002 10:21:21 A.M.

Some Music For The Exorcist
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells.mp3

thinking about that there should be a Beta Forum, And A Curent Offical Release Forum, And in the beta forum html play Tubular Bells.mid
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll keep harping on this one and my suggestion that you make access to Interact easier and more informative.  I've had MJ for two months plus now and came here to ask where to obtain support!  I know I'm slow on the uptake, always have been, point is that I don't think I'm in a minority.  The only thing that helps me is my first computer was an Atari 400 and I love programming (I'm a bit of a control freak actually) so I'll go the extra mile to learn a program that has obvious worth which MJ does.

This board definitely has an elitist/in-crowd/cognoscenti flavour which is okay but for people who come here wanting support for interface questions or technical problems with the official release (7.2) might well think they're in the wrong forum.  So you really need two forums.  One that is moderated and allows only questions on the current release and no OT threads, and another for the MJ freaks and beta testers where all the posts are viewable.

Way back in one of the MJ8 threads someone suggested that MJ have user levels built into its menu system.  I think you should give this a hard look, if you want a bigger market share then MJ has to be more accessible.  Maybe an automated demo showing how to do all the most common tasks in MJ, you know one of those animated mouse, voice-over thingies.

geekboy200

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2002, 06:28:03 pm »

How quickly can you get a boat-load of fortune cookies baked with "The best multimedia experience of your life awaits you with Media Jukebox 8.0" stuffed inside?  Provide them free to as many Chinese Buffets as you can.

Alonso Nefarious

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2002, 09:13:07 pm »

I can see it now...

"Oh Waiter, can I get an order of Media Jukebox(TM) to go with my ptomaine?"

Scronch

« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2002, 01:01:49 am »

>This board definitely has an elitist/in-crowd/cognoscenti flavour

"cognoscenti"?

Listen to the pot call the kettle black.

The only way to promo MJ is to get great reviews on CNet et al, or to spend lots of money on online advertising.  Probably both.

Scronch
Pages: [1]   Go Up