INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC suddenly started crashing every time I open it  (Read 2244 times)

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
MC suddenly started crashing every time I open it
« on: July 10, 2012, 06:28:45 pm »

This morning I was using my compute and MC suddenly crashed. I wasn't actually doing anything with MC at the time, and the PC had been running all night long. Now, every time I open MC it crashes after about 10 or 15 seconds. I do notice in the Task Manager that a JRWorker.exe process is started and is using some CPU, but I don't know if that is related.

During the 10 or 15 seconds I have before it crashes I've managed to create a new library that is empty and load it. If I do that then MC no longer crashes. If I switch back to my main library, though, then it crashes again.

I also managed to clone my main library and load that. In that case MC does not crash. One difference I can tell exists between the original and the clone is that the original has auto import configured. So I'm wondering if auto import is finding some file and dying while trying to process it. Unfortunately I auto import a single folder that has a lot of media, so it will be hard for me to narrow down which file is bad. Do you have any suggestions on how to do this or other ways to diagnose this problem?

Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: MC suddenly started crashing every time I open it
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 06:32:43 pm »

Try restoring a recent backup.  MC makes them automatically.

Make sure you have the latest.  It's 17.0.180.

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 06:43:09 pm »

I tried both of those. No help. I just turned on logging and have a zip of that. Where should I send it?

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 07:00:59 pm »

I found the problem. I was doing some video editing over night and it generated a temporary M4V file. Apparently MC was trying to analyze it and crashed.

Are you interested in looking at the file to help make MC's analyzer not crash on these files? If so, the problem is it is 3GB. I have enough bandwidth to upload it somewhere, but I don't know if you really want a file that big.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 07:48:20 pm »

Do you have M4V set to 'Automatic' in Options > File Types?

If so, and it's crashing, it would be very helpful to have the file.  Or maybe just the first 10 MB of the file.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:33:59 pm »

This happened to me last month and I posted about it here. For me it was that I had a file that MC did not recognize somewhere in my library. No amount of backup, or building a new library helped because MC would just freeze on this particular file every time it scanned the library on startup. I have 2 terrabytes of FLAC files alone so I wasen't going to go thry every file just yet. Instead I went into the Options menu and under AUDIO file types I only checked the files that I know are in my library for playback -specifically FLAC, WMA, AAC, DFF, MP3. The rest I left unchecked. Now when I start up MC, and MC scans my library, it ignaores all files other than these, and thus it stopped crashing. I can't say this will solve your issue but you should have checked only the files you use anyway.

Hope this helps.

Jimmy
Custom PC based music systems and information panels....really.
www.jdsmarthome.com

Qythyx

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 12:30:50 am »

Well, I think I might have a few M4Vs in my library somewhere as well.

Really MC should show an error message when this happens and tell you which file is bad.

Matt, I'd be happy to send you the head of this file. Do you know of any good tools in Windows to extract the first 10MB of a binary file?

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 01:45:45 am »

There are more file splitters and joiners than I can count on the internet, here one. Never used it but it looks good :).

I can't really find a recent one and some of these sources look somewhat dubious. If you don't trust it you could use WinRAR. Use 'store' or 'quick', set segments to 10MB and when done, move the first segment to a separate folder. Extract it and tell WinRAR to keep segments when the file is corrupt or has parts missing. You will now have the first 10MB of your file that you can upload or send to Matt.
Pages: [1]   Go Up