INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Support for H.264 in MKV?  (Read 1072 times)

csimon

• Citizen of the Universe
Support for H.264 in MKV?
« on: July 07, 2012, 12:14:35 pm »

I've ripped a DVD using MakeMKV and have imported it with no problem into MC. It plays on my WD TV live served either from MC or from my Synology NAS DLNA server.

I've now compressed it to H.264 using Handbrake in order to reduce the file size and this version plays fine on my WD TV Live when served from Synology. But I can't get it imported into MC.  I had deleted the original one from the lbrary and tried to import it again but it didn't come in. Tried to import manually and it said the file had been skipped because it had been previously determined to be bad.  I can't even open it with File/Open media file, I get the dialog "The media types of the selected file are not supported for playback. (<none>)".

Is H.264 not supported?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
Re: Support for H.264 in MKV?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 12:37:09 pm »

Red October fully supports all common media containers and codecs (those without DRM, anyway), certainly including H.264 MKVs.

I'm going to guess that you did the conversion of the file directly in a folder watched by MC's Auto Import system.  When you do this, MC will try to import the file "before it is done", and eventually MC will decide the file is just bad and ignore it.  It is supposed to recheck the files if they change, and mostly it does, but generally it is a bad idea to do conversions directly in a watched directory.  Handbrake conversions work fine if the temp files are stored elsewhere and then it moves the completed file to a watched folder when it is done, though.

I've explained before in detail how to get files out of the Bad Files list, once they're in there (that first post is related to the deleted items database, but read down further and I get to the rest of them, including the Bad Files database).
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

csimon

Re: Support for H.264 in MKV?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 12:42:54 pm »

OK, thanks for the pointer towards getting files out of the bad list, I'll have a look.

The conversion wasn't done in the import directoy, in fact it was done on another computer! But it took 2 minutes to copy it over, so it wasn't instant and maybe it got caught halfway.
Pages: [1]   Go Up