INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Stretch options  (Read 4413 times)

Midiman

• Recent member
Video Stretch options
« on: July 07, 2012, 11:56:43 pm »

I cannot see a way to do this - so maybe these are new feature requests? I have just purchased MC17, 17.0.165, mainly for audio playback, but I would like to play video as well. There are two features which appear to be missing in Media Center 17 which are present in XBMC and MS Windows Media Center.

Firstly, in XBMC video settings, I set "Playback > Display 4:3 videos as ==> Wide Zoom". This means that I do not have to manually stretch 4x3 videos every time I play them. I do not want to set the MC17 global video setting to stretch or crop - as that applies to all videos.

Secondly, MS Windows Media Center has a video zoom option called "Dynamically stretch video to maintain aspect ratio in middle of screen". This algorithm is superior to stretch - or crop - as the 4x3 appears normal - apart from slight stretching at the edges.

Can you please tell me how to achieve these options - or please consider these as requests for future enhancement.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Video Stretch options
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 08:24:39 am »

in theaterview use the up/down arrows until you see zoom or aspect ratio

Midiman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 05:30:28 pm »

in theaterview use the up/down arrows until you see zoom or aspect ratio

I know how to change them whilst watching the video. What I am asking for is a method of setting a default such that 4x3 is stretched to "Wide Zoom" - or preferably the Windows Media Center version of "dynamic zoom" - without me having to do this every time I watch a 4x3 video. Why do I have to do the same repetitive actions every time I watch a 4x3 video? In XBMC, I set the default, and never have to worry about manual changes when watching videos. Surely this is a very simple feature request? If not, please let me know :-)

As for "dynamic zoom" - I expect that will be harder and could take the developers longer.

eddyshere

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 07:55:18 pm »

OK got you...just out of head (not sitting in front of MC right now) : under options>video>edges or advanced if I remember correctly there is an aspect ratio entry....

Midiman

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 07:39:02 am »

No use, mate. Tools > Options > Video > Advanced > Aspect Ratio Mode

No change
Stretch
Crop
Automatic

As I said in my first post, this applies to all videos. I am asking for a setting for 4x3 videos - in other words - old style TV shows and videos that "need" stretching to fit on a 16x9 wide screen monitor or TV ;-)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 08:04:05 am »

As I said in my first post, this applies to all videos. I am asking for a setting for 4x3 videos - in other words - old style TV shows and videos that "need" stretching to fit on a 16x9 wide screen monitor or TV ;-)

Wouldn't that be 'Stretch' mode?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Midiman

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 07:20:47 pm »

Matt,

You cannot set the Advanced > Aspect Ratio Mode to "stretch" as that applies to all videos. For example, a 2.35:1 ratio movie ends up looking ridiculous ;-) The request is a default setting for the very common 4x3 videos only - like old movies and old TV shows. I would not expect a setting for every type of wide screen there is - that would be too complicated I suspect. 4x3 is common and was the default for many years - hence the request for a default for this screen aspect ratio.

Does this make sense?

Mike

PS Any prospect of "Dynamic Zoom" a la Windows Media Center? Or this just too hard?

Midiman

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 04:44:44 pm »

Any chance of a developer responding to these requests? It would be nice to know if these requests are being considered for future enhancement. If not, please let me know.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 05:11:41 pm »

For now, there are the global settings, with the rest of the aspect ratio controls stored per file.

Per aspect ratio settings is something we're considering for the future.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Midiman

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2012, 06:20:30 pm »

Thank you for a swift reply - much appreciated!

Mike

robl45

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 06:00:25 pm »

i'm a little unclear, what exactly does stretch do and how is that different than aspect ratio set to 16:9 when playing a video?

On mpc-hc, i set aspect ratio to 16:9 and everything fills my 16:9 screen, yes I'm aware that 2:35 to 1 movies get stretched but it really doesn't bother me.  does stretch do the same or is it going to over stretch 16:9 movies like mpc-hc does when its set to stretch to 16:9.

is there anyway to default to aspect ratio 16:9 without doing every movie like that every time you play?
Pages: [1]   Go Up