INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Volume control in Theatre View  (Read 2857 times)

dean70

• Citizen of the Universe
Volume control in Theatre View
« on: July 09, 2012, 12:48:39 am »

Is there a way to have the Volume control visible in Theatre View when on the Home Screen (with nothing playing)? My issue is you cannot tell what the current volume is set to until you start to play (or watch) something.

With volume protection, it usually starts with the volume set too low so you miss some of the audio until you franically turn up the volume to listening level.

stewart_pk

Re: Volume control in Theatre View
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 01:32:58 am »

I totally agree!

But as well as this feature or instead of, I would prefer to have the ability so set a startup volume for when playing. I requested this some time ago but it was not implemented.

I use the Startup ---> Startup Volume ---> Set volume to: 60% but would prefer the above feature instead.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 08:55:11 am »

.........I use the Startup ---> Startup Volume ---> Set volume to: 60% ............

I had previously seen that setting. In my case it had a checkbox alongside the words 'Set volume to 80%'. I never wanted to start with volume that high. Didn't realize until clicking on the text today that the percentage is changeable. So I checked the box and set ours at 50% which is a nice starting volume. Previously we were always racing with the volume control at the start of playback to get the volume up enough to hear.

Anyway if it could be made apparent that the percentage setting is changeable it might help some people.

Thanks.

Rod

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 09:39:02 am »

I have my startup volume set to 40%. However, I also use Volume Protection and it resets the volume to 20% after 30 minutes of inactivity.

I have requested previously that Volume Protection reset the volume to the "Startup > Startup Volume > Set volume to:" setting if that setting is checked. This allows Volume Protection to be consistent with what the user considers the minimum volume level.

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 09:45:36 am »

I have my startup volume set to 40%. However, I also use Volume Protection and it resets the volume to 20% after 30 minutes of inactivity.

I have requested previously that Volume Protection reset the volume to the "Startup > Startup Volume > Set volume to:" setting if that setting is checked. This allows Volume Protection to be consistent with what the user considers the minimum volume level.

mojave - As usual you make a whole lot of sense! And the resetting to 20% doesn't make much sense. I also use Volume Protection and didn't realize that the reset occurs since I just changed my setting.

Volume Protection is a good thing, but if the user makes a conscious decision to have a higher startup volume, then that setting should be honored.

Rod

dean70

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 05:47:46 pm »

I have the startup volume at 50%. Sometimes I have noticed when switching zones (or a period of inacivity), it is reset to 20%. The current zone indicator is already visible in Theatre View - maybe the volume slider can be made visible as well?

rick.ca

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 08:09:31 pm »

The current zone indicator is already visible in Theatre View - maybe the volume slider can be made visible as well?

If there were a [Volume] keyword, it could be placed wherever desired in the skin.

stewart_pk

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:18:53 pm »

Please developers, I'm begging you!

I totally agree!

But as well as this feature or instead of, I would prefer to have the ability so set a startup volume for when playing. I requested this some time ago but it was not implemented.

I use the Startup ---> Startup Volume ---> Set volume to: 60% but would prefer the above feature instead.

dean70

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 05:35:02 pm »

If there were a [Volume] keyword, it could be placed wherever desired in the skin.

Tried the [Volume] keyword in Theatre View main.xml - doesnt recognise it (shows as [Volume]). At least I was able to replicate the [Zone] information the tv guide, movie wall, you tube, etc.

I thought could do a work-around by switching to standard view, change the zone and set the volume level. After switching back to theatre view and selecting the movie/music track to play, it still changes the volume on you back to 20% when it starts playing.

There is definately some inconsistancy on how it handles volume. If you start-up, it sets the start-up volume on the current zone & maintains the same when the first track starts playing (correct behaviour).

If you select another zone, it sets the volume to the startup volume for that zone (only if it is the first time the zone has been selected for the current session - expected behaviour). When you start playing a track from this new zone, it reverts the volume to 20% regardless of the startup volume setting, which is definatly incorrect.

rick.ca

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 07:47:07 pm »

Tried the [Volume] keyword in Theatre View main.xml - doesnt recognise it (shows as [Volume]).

There is no [Volume] keyword. That's why I said..

It was a hint you might ask the developers to consider adding one.

dean70

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 06:27:21 pm »

Tried the [Volume] keyword in Theatre View main.xml - doesnt recognise it (shows as [Volume]). At least I was able to replicate the [Zone] information the tv guide, movie wall, you tube, etc.

I thought could do a work-around by switching to standard view, change the zone and set the volume level. After switching back to theatre view and selecting the movie/music track to play, it still changes the volume on you back to 20% when it starts playing.

There is definately some inconsistancy on how it handles volume. If you start-up, it sets the start-up volume on the current zone & maintains the same when the first track starts playing (correct behaviour).

If you select another zone, it sets the volume to the startup volume for that zone (only if it is the first time the zone has been selected for the current session - expected behaviour). When you start playing a track from this new zone, it reverts the volume to 20% regardless of the startup volume setting, which is definatly incorrect.

Is this something that can be looked into? (especially the volume behaviour)
Pages: [1]   Go Up