INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waahhhh, my speaker...  (Read 1623 times)

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Waahhhh, my speaker...
« on: July 10, 2012, 12:59:58 pm »

It was sounding weird, I was dreading a ripped cone (my son has been playing hip-hop on it when I wasn't around). Pulled off the grill and there was a pile of foam pieces at the bottom. It doesn't seem to work as well without the cone being anchored to the frame!

Much to my surprise, I discovered there are re-foaming kits on the aftermarket even ones tailored for my particular speaker (Realistic Mach 2. 15" 3 way circa 1990 or so).

I also found a speaker repair place locally that will do the job for only about twice the cost of the kit.

Now I'm just out speakers for a few days...

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
Re: Waahhhh, my speaker...
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 01:48:34 pm »

I hope you haven't played for very long like that. Check your other speakers too because if one is like that chances are the rest isn't far behind.

I have fixed small holes and a crack or two and that's not too bad when you're handy. With most of the foam still in place the speaker is still centered and fixed into place. Those repair kits aren't meant to replace the foam when its as bad as yours. If its even slightly off-center the coil (is it called coil?) can rub going back and forth.

Have it done, its worth the money for more expensive speakers and a good repair station will fix em up like they're new. Besides they actually use the original foam (or a worthy replacement) while the repair kits are not.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 03:23:04 pm »

I think it was just a day and it wasn't all off until I pulled it out. The other woofer seems to be fragile in the foam too so I'll get em both done. The mids seem OK for now and the tweeters are piezo.

I like the sound of these speakers so I think it's worth it having them done especially by a place that does lots of them  :)

craigmcg

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 09:50:57 pm »

Getting foam surround speakers reconed is great (if you like the sound of the speakers). I'm running a pair of 1970s JBL L120 Aquarius speakers in my dining room that I had reconed about 10 years back (woofers only because the mids were fine). They still sound amazing (although hip-hop is never played on them).
Pages: [1]   Go Up