INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dragging a playing file to an external file system folder  (Read 788 times)

mond

• Recent member
Dragging a playing file to an external file system folder
« on: July 10, 2012, 01:44:07 pm »

Hi all,

I observed a seemingly strange behavior when dragging the currently file from the playlist to a folder on the local file system (i.e. under Drivers and Devices > Explorer). There is no feedback from MC or windows explorer, the track keeps playing and the file is not copied. However the target file path is shown in the playlist for the file that I tried to drag and if I search the library (still with the track playing and shown in the playlist) the track is not found. When playback is finishes the explorer move dialog pops up and does the move.

This behavior is a bit obscure, especially when (as in this case) I was listening to a 26 minute track.

It seems that either:

1. You should receive a warning that the move cannot be done with the track playing, and the library state should remain unchanged
2. Be given the option to do the move when playback is done.
3. Be given an option to copy instead of move.
4. MC would copy the file, switch playback to the new location and then delete the old file.

Am I missing something or could someone file a bug for this?

Any insights appreciated...

Lasse

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Dragging a playing file to an external file system folder
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 02:10:29 pm »

All tag changes, including file moves, happen in a background tagging thread.  If a file is playing, the thread waits until playback finishes.

The statusbar at the bottom of the program should indicate what is happening.

If you want a file copy, you can hold Ctrl while dropping.

I agree it's a little subtle, but it's also nice the program does tagging in the background.  It will tell you if anything goes wrong.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

mond

• Recent member
Re: Dragging a playing file to an external file system folder
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 03:19:46 pm »

Thanks for the hint on CTRL drag, copy was what I actually wanted to do.

Anyway, how come a file move be categorized as a tag operation? As a user I don't consider it a tagging operation to move/copy a file from the library to some random folder that is not watched by MC. You might consider it a library operation if the file is moved out of the library, but I don't see what it has to do with tagging.

Second, if the operation is not done until the file is no longer playing then why is the path modified immediately in the playlist and the track removed from the library? This does not seems totally consistent....
Pages: [1]   Go Up