INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Switching from Satellite to cable... Tips please  (Read 4127 times)

HTPC4ME

• Citizen of the Universe
  • LIFE IS A RADIO... CRANK IT UP TO 11!
Switching from Satellite to cable... Tips please
« on: July 13, 2012, 03:40:31 pm »

hi guys, we are switching from sat. to cable through comcast https://www.comcast.com/shop/buyflow2/customize.cspx?Inflow=1&OfferId=720437

Few questions for those of you already using jriver with TV.

1. when buying our packages do i need to worry about multiple tv's? (paying more money through comcast?) or can i just plug the comcast cable box into homerun prime then jriver server. then feed all my other tv's/devices with jriver?

2. DVR service.. i've read jriver can record.. so i'm assuming i would not need to purchase there dvr service.. is that correct? basically i would just purchase homerun prime, hook that up to there cable box, then plug that into jriver, and then be able to record every channel until my hdd's are full?

3. they offer streampix - is this needed being we have jriver?

4. is there anything else to consider when moving to comcast from satellite?

5. anything else to consider purchasing wise for accomplishing cable onto jriver and whole house entertainment? (just would need homerun prime?)

6. once all connected can we stream cable to our gizmo devices? (laptop, cellphones, tablets)

Thanks for any tips.

zrobertbrown

Re: Switching from Satellite to cable... Tips please
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:33:10 pm »

You said you were considering an HD Homerun Prime. I have one of those and I have Comcast. If I were you I would do what I did.

I got a Cablecard from Comcast (It's less than a box. $7/month here) Put it in the HD Prime and loose the cable box. You don't need it.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 10:31:19 am »

CableCARD is not supported in MC (not yet, we are not sure whether and when we can support it).  You have to choose whether to use CableCARD (HDHomerun PRIME for instance) outside of MC (Windows Media Center) or set top box with MC.

In MC, you can use Comcast supplied STB.  My Comcast subscription gives me two free boxes.  With an STB (not DVR box) you can use MC as your DVR.  For now, our IR blaster support limits such use to one per computer because we are not blasting IR code to separate blasters separately.

I have never used satellite so I do not know how much difference there is.  I imagine it should be similar to cable.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

HTPC4ME

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 12:56:57 pm »

Yaobing. could you elaborate on this..
For now, our IR blaster support limits such use to one per computer because we are not blasting IR code to separate blasters separately.

does that mean i would need a STB box for every tv? or can i just install this STB box on the jriver server, and the remaining jriver clients would be able to access the cable channels, recorded shows through the server? the IR blaster is the HP remote device i bought from jriver correct? i was under assumption that was only for remote control use? the ir blaster/remote pictured on top right of thread. i'm a little confused on this.
Thank you.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 09:17:43 pm »

You can install just one STB on a computer running MC in server mode.  The other computers can access recordings made on the server.  The reason I mentioned multiple STB is that some people want to record more than one shows at a time (i.e. recording shows on different channels shown at the same time).

HTPC4ME

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 02:40:29 pm »

is it possible to record more the one channel on the server? so could i get 2 STb's as you mentioned and have that plugged into server? or is it recommended to run the 2 STB's on different machines then have them save the recording over to the server?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 05:53:20 pm »

No. The sentence of mine that you quoted in an earlier post was precisely trying to talk about this.  If you put two STBs on the same server, the IR blaster would fire on both of them, putting them on the same channel.  This renders having two STB on the same machine meaningless.  This is a current limitation of MC.  We we work out a solution in the future.

As far as STBs are concerned, it is currently recommended that they be put on different machines, and have them independently record shows onto the shared hard disk.  And these machines can not be client-server pairs.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 01:25:23 am »

thanks for clarification Yaobing

can i ask how you would set it up in my type of situation?

currently, server holds all files no one touches the server, everyone connects to server with clients (clients have no files)
in our living room (HTPC) that pc is a client that connects to server for the whole family's library.

i would like the HTPC to be able to view all channels, and record tv shows to the server where they would be stored.

basically, Can i be connected to server via htpc and yet be able to view cable on htpc and record to server HDD's(IF STB is installed on HTPC)?
the way i picture it.. this wouldn't be possible, because when a client connects to server it loads all it's settings and views. and if STB is installed on htpc. then it would not load the tv guide and shows. correct? solution?
Thank You Yaobing

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 12:52:11 pm »

MC17 is still not quite friendly in terms of TV tuner on clients.  MC18 will be better.

With MC17, you can put your tuners on the server, and schedule recordings from any where (on server or clients), and play (server-recorded) recordings on clients.  But you can not watch live channels on clients using the tuner on the server.

Assuming your plan is to use cable TV only, and you have more than one STBs, your best option is to put one STB and one capture device on the server, and another set on the client (HTPC).  You will be able to watch live TV using the tuner on the client, and record shows on the server, using the tuner on the server.

Eventually, after we solve the problem of multiple IR blasters on a single machine (probably in MC18), your will be able to put both sets of STB/capture card on the server, so two sets of independent recordings can happen simultaneously, on the server.  Clients can also watch live shows using devices installed on the server.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 01:58:04 pm »

Another thing to consider, if you have not gotten your capture devices yet, is to buy a capture/tuner device that has multiple tuners - one analog tuner to receive the output of an STB, and one or more QAM tuner to receive clear QAM channels off the cable directly (or separate devices, analog capture device such as Hauppauge HD PVR, and QAM tuners).  This way you will be able to simultaneously record/watch multiple channels.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 02:08:02 pm »

thank you for the clear instructions, it's making things alot easier for me to understand :)

Insert Quote
Another thing to consider, if you have not gotten your capture devices yet, is to buy a capture/tuner device that has multiple tuners - one analog tuner to receive the output of an STB, and one or more QAM tuner to receive clear QAM channels off the cable directly (or separate devices, analog capture device such as Hauppauge HD PVR, and QAM tuners).  This way you will be able to simultaneously record/watch multiple channels.
which is my best bet in your opinion(brand, model #)?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 02:47:44 pm »

For analog capture, many people here like Hauppauge HD PVR or their internal version Collossus.  It is a capture device only, with no analog cable tuning capability.  You must first check what kind of STB you get from your cable company.  The latest STB I received from my cable provider (Comcast) does not include SVideo/Composite/Component/digital outputs.  I have to connect its output to a analog cable tuner and receive the signals on channel 3 (or 4).  For this kind of STB you must have a analog cable tuner.

Assuming STB can support HD PVR, you can then buy a SiliconDust's HDHomerun for QAM.  This is a network device and is particularly good for your situation.  It comes with two QAM/ATSC tuners and is connected to your router, and can be accessible on any computer on your network.  

In summary, here is a possible configureation (works if STB can output to the Hauppage device):

On the server: HDPVR/Collossus with STB
On the client: another HDPVR/Collossus with STB.
On router: HDHomerun

If your STBs do not have output interface to the Hauppauge devices mentioned above, you need to find other devices (you will probably spend less than the above solution).

I have an older one: "AverMedia M780 PCIe".  It comes with an analog cable tuner and an ATSC/QAM tuner.  You can install one on server and one on client.  But you may find newer, more powerful devices (such as having more tuners).  Hauppauge has a lot of different ones.

HTPC4ME

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2012, 02:46:01 pm »

11. NEW: Live television playback from Media Server using television tuners on the server.
does this change my game plan on what to purchase? found it in when media center does appear.
For analog capture, many people here like Hauppauge HD PVR or their internal version Collossus.  It is a capture device only, with no analog cable tuning capability.  You must first check what kind of STB you get from your cable company.  The latest STB I received from my cable provider (Comcast) does not include SVideo/Composite/Component/digital outputs.  I have to connect its output to a analog cable tuner and receive the signals on channel 3 (or 4).  For this kind of STB you must have a analog cable tuner.

Assuming STB can support HD PVR, you can then buy a SiliconDust's HDHomerun for QAM.  This is a network device and is particularly good for your situation.  It comes with two QAM/ATSC tuners and is connected to your router, and can be accessible on any computer on your network. 

In summary, here is a possible configureation (works if STB can output to the Hauppage device):

On the server: HDPVR/Collossus with STB
On the client: another HDPVR/Collossus with STB.
On router: HDHomerun

If your STBs do not have output interface to the Hauppauge devices mentioned above, you need to find other devices (you will probably spend less than the above solution).

I have an older one: "AverMedia M780 PCIe".  It comes with an analog cable tuner and an ATSC/QAM tuner.  You can install one on server and one on client.  But you may find newer, more powerful devices (such as having more tuners).  Hauppauge has a lot of different ones.

Still wrapping me head around on which way to go here.. been out of satellite for 2weeks. GF's is getting on me to get something on that tv... lol

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2012, 05:12:28 pm »

does this change my game plan on what to purchase? found it in when media center does appear.

It does, but only a little.

With the new feature in MC18, you can now watch live TV shows using a client computer, with the tuner on the server.  Therefore you no longer need to have a tuner on the client machine. 

However, in your situation, a second STB, and an analog capture device that goes with it, can still be installed on the client.  MC will use the device on the client for live show if it exists and go to the server if there is no tuner available on the client.

What this new feature gives you is that you no long are required to install a tuner on the client in order to watch live TV shows on the client.  In your situation however, it is still a good idea to have one on the client, so you can leave the one on the server for recording.

Still wrapping me head around on which way to go here.. been out of satellite for 2weeks. GF's is getting on me to get something on that tv... lol

If your STB has Composite, SVideo, or YRYBY output, buy Hauppauge HD PVR ($199) or Hauppauge Colosuss ($159). Alternatively, you can buy cheaper device, such as Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1150 ($79) or WinTV-HVR-2250 ($109) or something in between. http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/prods.html

If your STB has only coaxial RF connector as output, buy Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1150 ($79) or WinTV-HVR-2250 ($109) or something in between.

You do not need to buy HDHomerun, especially if you do not care about Clear QAM channels.  The Hauppauge devices can receive Clear QAM channels too.  I previously mentioned HDHomerun mainly for its networking feature (allowing any computer on your network to use it).  Now that you can play live TV on clients using tuners on the server, you can just use the Hauppauge devices (WinTV-HVR-xxxx) for Clear QAM channels.

When choosing the capture device, it is probably best to choose one that has a coaxial RF connector for ATSC/Clear QAM, and another one for analog, unless you know you can use SVideo or Composite inputs.  Some devices come with a coaxial  RF connector for FM Radio.  That may not be very useful.

DwestSeattle

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2012, 10:36:58 am »

I'm working on the same thing.  I was going to go to OTA HDTV, but reception at my home doesn't include NBC and FOX.  I was looking to go to Cable, but comcast/xfinity in my area (seattle) aresaying that they are doing some sort of transition and EVERYONE needs a STB.  Is this true?  Will my Silicon Dust HD HomeRun not tune their signal using its QAM tuner? 

Can I plug their STB coax output into the SDHR?  How would I change channels?  Would i still need an IR blaster?  I have a media center remote, but it only has outputs for two IR blasters, so if I need to use IR blaster for the STB, would that preclude me from using he IR blaster to power up my TV and Stereo?

A few videos posted to youtube by JRiver people demonstrating these setups would be enormously helpful.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 07:58:28 am »

I was looking to go to Cable, but comcast/xfinity in my area (seattle) aresaying that they are doing some sort of transition and EVERYONE needs a STB.  Is this true?  

I am guessing what they are saying is they are converting all channels (or most channels, if not all channels) to digital.  Once that is done, the old analog tuner can not be used.  So you must use their STB.

Will my Silicon Dust HD HomeRun not tune their signal using its QAM tuner?  

HDHomerun will only tune to clear QAM channels, channels that are not encrypted by Comcast.  Those usually just include channels that you can normally receive over-the-air, i.e. your local broadcast stations.  If all you care is those stations, then HDHomerun is sufficient, and you should subscribe to the cheapest Comcast package.  No STB is necessary.

Can I plug their STB coax output into the SDHR?

My guess is that STB's coaxial output is analog.  You can not use SD HDHomerun to receive signals from it.  You need an analog tuner/capture device for that.

How would I change channels?  Would i still need an IR blaster?  

You need an IR blaster.  

I have a media center remote, but it only has outputs for two IR blasters, so if I need to use IR blaster for the STB, would that preclude me from using he IR blaster to power up my TV and Stereo?

In this case, you can use one IR blaster for TV channel change, the other blaster for another purpose.  So you can not power up both TV and stereo.  Personally I have not used my second blaster, so I do not know if there is an easy way of using more than two.
Pages: [1]   Go Up