INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there any way to export all of my smarlists?  (Read 1373 times)

Taxee

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Change this by choosing profile
Is there any way to export all of my smarlists?
« on: July 13, 2012, 03:44:33 pm »

I am travelling for 2 months so I copied my music library to an external library and did a library backup to the same drive.

The drive letters are different so I thought that there would be some way to simply export my smarlists but there is no obvious way to do this.  I searched the forums and this doesn't seem to be addressed anywhere.

Do i have to export my smarlists one at a time to mpl format to make this work (I have a ton of smarlists)?  From the wiki, it appears that you can't export all of one's smartlists to mpl.

Thanks for your help.

rick.ca

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is there any way to export all of my smarlists?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 05:20:02 pm »

If you've restored your Library (i.e., the MC database) and copied all the music files to another drive, then you can update the Library (including all it's playlists) to point to the new location. See Easiest way to move videos to new drive?

Taxee

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 03:36:04 pm »

I used MC to copy the files (I think that this was a big mistake in retrospect) as I think that the setting that I chose renamed the files to Artist-Title.  Some, but not all of the files were in this format previously.

Being a 6 hour flight from home, I can't fix this easily.

I should have researched this before I did it but didn't have a lot of time and so just copied the files overnight before i left, never thinking that one can't export smartlists.

Am I hooped?

Alex B

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • The Cosmic Bird
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 04:52:18 pm »

If I understood this correctly, your library backup file contains the old smartlist rules, but in addition of the wrong base path also many of the filenames are now wrong in this backed up library. This problem is indeed difficult to fix with the Rename, Move, & Copy Files tool unless you can replicate exactly the same settings and rules that you used when you copied the files. If you can replicate them, you can load the library backup file and do the same copy process as before, but this time select the option to apply the changes only to the database. It should then be able to fix the filenames and paths only inside the database.

Another option is to export an MPL playlist of your current, correctly linked files, restore the library backup file of your old library, delete all files from the library (this will preserve the rule based smartists even though they will be temporarily emptied) and finally import the MPL playlist, which will just restore the files.
The Cosmic Bird - a triple merger of galaxies: http://eso.org/public/news/eso0755

Taxee

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:38:29 am »

Another option is to export an MPL playlist of your current, correctly linked files, restore the library backup file of your old library, delete all files from the library (this will preserve the rule based smartists even though they will be temporarily emptied) and finally import the MPL playlist, which will just restore the files.

Brilliant!  It worked perfectly.   ;D

You certainly know MC.

Many thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up