INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Load more than one song into memory  (Read 2678 times)

Phil LD

• Junior Woodchuck
Load more than one song into memory
« on: July 13, 2012, 07:55:22 pm »

The computer's memory today is capable of storing more than just one song at a time. My computer for example features 8 GB of memory. It is a truly silent system with no fans installed. However there is a quite noisy HDD raid system running next to it for storing all my media. However this one powers down after one minute when in idle mode.

A normal song has a length of about four minutes. So every four minutes my raid system will power on again and disturb the music experience.
This could be avoided by storing more songs in the main memory.

I really would like to see an option that would let the user choose how many songs of the now playing list are stored in advance in the main memory.

HiFiTubes

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Load more than one song into memory
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 03:09:41 am »

Bump

NickF

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 01:56:39 pm »

The computer's memory today is capable of storing more than just one song at a time. My computer for example features 8 GB of memory. It is a truly silent system with no fans installed. However there is a quite noisy HDD raid system running next to it for storing all my media. However this one powers down after one minute when in idle mode.

A normal song has a length of about four minutes. So every four minutes my raid system will power on again and disturb the music experience.
This could be avoided by storing more songs in the main memory.

I really would like to see an option that would let the user choose how many songs of the now playing list are stored in advance in the main memory.

Without meaning to be disrespectful, why go to the trouble of building a silent system then place a noisy component next to it?  Can't you locate your storage system elsewhere?

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 05:36:31 pm »

You might look into an SSD for your music.

Or a better HDD / enclosure.  A good HDD can be silent in the right case.

In other words, I think this is more of a hardware issue than a problem that JRiver should try to tackle.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

HiFiTubes

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:05:52 pm »

Sorry guys, this is a bit presumptuous. I do agree the OP should try to silence the enclosure, but...

I have a nice Synology DS411j, and with (4) nice 3TB WD drives I can hear the disks i/o. I don't have anywhere else to put it myself.

Should I buy 12TB of SSD? I don't have a closet I can stick it in. Luckily the noise really is negligible for me, but for others it may not be.

The point is, with MC18 comping out, how about we see how a solution to this potential issue might interest others after loading more files into entirely into memory.

Phil LD

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 06:41:22 pm »

I have a raid 5 system with 5 Tb of storage based on the lian li ex-503 with five 2,5" samsung 1tb drives running inside scythe quiet drive enclosures. The fan is disconnected. However I can hear it when listening to classical music during quiet parts.

5tb of ssd is no option as prices are still falling. I rather spend a few bucks more on JRiver than on a ssd option. I have all the memory installed, JRiver should use it, instead of spinning up the hard drives every few minutes.

Vincent Kars

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 10:34:18 am »

I’m afraid memory playback in JRiver is limited to one song at the time with a max size of 256 MB.
There has been a couple of request to improve on it but no joy.
In your case a big input buffer would really help.

http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/SW/Players/MC14/MC14_Memory.htm

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 10:50:49 am »

I’m afraid memory playback in JRiver is limited to one song at the time with a max size of 256 MB.

I think you missed this:

17.0.47 (12/5/2011)
NEW: From memory audio playback will use up to 1GB instead of 256MB (after 256MB it checks against available memory to avoid using swap).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

NickF

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 11:43:57 am »

I think you missed this:

17.0.47 (12/5/2011)
NEW: From memory audio playback will use up to 1GB instead of 256MB (after 256MB it checks against available memory to avoid using swap).

Matt, just to be clear, does this mean that multiple audio tracks from a Playlist or Album will be loaded up to 1GB?

Nick.
HTPC - Intel i5-760 CPU, Windows 7 64 bit, NVIDIA GTS450 Silent, RME 9632 with A04, BlackGold BGT3600; Video Processor - Lumagen Radiance XD Processor; Projector - ProjectionDesign Action Model 3 1080; Denon AVC-A1HD; 4 x Tannoy Berkley and Velodyne DD-10

Vincent Kars

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 12:20:42 pm »

I think you missed this:

17.0.47 (12/5/2011)

I did
Thanks

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
  • World Class Referance Playback!
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 11:30:47 am »

Matt, just to be clear, does this mean that multiple audio tracks from a Playlist or Album will be loaded up to 1GB?

Nick.
Is there answer to this question? Also the Wiki needs to be updated to reflect that memory audio playback will use up to 1GB. Wiki still says: (Play files from memory instead of disk (not zone-specific)

This option loads an entire file into memory so that the disk is not accessed during playback. The memory buffer is capped at 256 megabytes, and rolls as needed for extremely large files.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 12:11:24 pm »

Also the Wiki needs to be updated to reflect that memory audio playback will use up to 1GB.

updated.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Audioseduction

• World Citizen
  • World Class Referance Playback!
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 09:07:30 pm »

Thanks for update.  Will multiple audio tracks from a Playlist or Album will be loaded up to 1GB?
Pages: [1]   Go Up