INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WebPlay... just won't play... help!!!  (Read 2157 times)

-alvin-

• Recent member
WebPlay... just won't play... help!!!
« on: July 14, 2012, 02:11:49 am »

Hi, I've used WebPlay for ages on my iTouch/iPhone and assorted PC laptops around the house, but... since MC 17 it just doesn't play!

I can access WebPlay on all the devices and I can see the server doing its thing and it shows everything happening (including the thumbnails) right up until you choose to play the track and then the URL goes to the track index address and Mozilla then doesn't do anything else and i'm left with a white page???

This happens on all devices including the iPhone and iTouch!

Just out of interest I tired WebGizmo and it works just fine on all devices, so go figure.

This is of course only happening on a LAN/WLAN and as said previously it all worked before on previous versions of MC.

I'm running MC 17 latest ver. on a Vista 64 and my library of music comes from a NAS box that normally works flawlessly.

I've turned off Zonealarm Extreme and Windows Firewall (as a test and it changed nothing) and the only odd thing is that the default port 52199 is (I think) now for some strange reason, already taken, as the server wouldn't initially start, but on changing to another free port, the server starts and WebGizmo works fine, even with all antivirus software running, but WebPlay just won't play the darn track.

Any help/knowledge/advice here would be greatly appreciated.

And if this is something unique and unfixable, could someone tell me how to change the appearance of WebGizmo to reduce the thumbnail sizes and make the interface more like the WebPlay listing??

Regards, -alvin-

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: WebPlay... just won't play... help!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 06:35:41 am »

Welcome.  WebGizmo replaced WebPlay.   More here:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/WebGizmo

-alvin-

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 05:14:44 pm »

Ahhhhhh, now i see - silly boy (;->

Ok, WebGizmo it is then, but a couple of questions,

1) Can you change the appearance of WebGizmo to list the Artists or Albums with the name alongside, just like WebPlay did (ie smaller thumbnails of the covers)? I know it's not as cool and pretty as showing all the album covers and names, but I find it very easy to pick the names in a list on something like an iPhone, without large thumbnails taking over?

and 2) Just interested why WebPlay isn't used now and how come it goes almost all the way and stops? Is that because the code stopped being developed before MC 17 and it can't now find it's way? - just interested.

Many thanks for the tip, I don't frequent the forums much as MC has always just worked for my simple setup, so nice to get the right advice and not spend any more time disappearing up my fundamental (;->

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 05:32:23 pm »

It can be done but you would need to edit the html files found in C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 17\Data\Library Server\Gizmo\Default
Depending on how far you want to go with it you may also need to edit the css and js files.
I could give you some assistance if you are not well versed in editing web content.
Sean

-alvin-

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 05:47:53 pm »

Thanks Scolex, I just might have a fiddle then.
My coding skills are pretty crap, but I'm happy to try a couple of tweaks and then holler for help if I cock-up and you're still available.

Thanks again.

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 06:00:32 pm »

Thanks Scolex, I just might have a fiddle then.
My coding skills are pretty crap, but I'm happy to try a couple of tweaks and then holler for help if I cock-up and you're still available.

Thanks again.

The best practice is to make a copy (ctrl drag n drop) of the "default" folder inside the Gizmo folder, rename it and work on the files in the new folder. (I use "custom")
If you use this method you need to go into tools-->options-->media network-->WebGizmo (play and control your media from the web)-->Appearance and change it to the name of the new folder
Sean

-alvin-

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 06:11:44 pm »

Yes, thanks for that. I usually play it veeeery safe when I fiddle with important files and what you've said is something I would be definitely doing.

Not doing as you've suggested, is sort of like 'playing' in regedit without a well attached safety line (;->

Scolex

• MC Beta Team
  • Cheers
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 06:18:06 pm »

Yeah one should never go Sky Diving without a backup shoot. ;)
Sean

-alvin-

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 01:58:01 am »

Ok... had a little time to myself today due to absolutely crap weather and my heat pump's in pieces, so holed up in my computer room, i've just dabbled in the default.css file and using Firefox's really handy tool set to check what I was doing, i've just roughly changed a few things in the css file and it now looks a lot better on the iPhone, which is where most of my WLAN playing will be done - lounge room/BBQ, etc (;->

It's really nothing special, but if anyone else wanted the file, I'd be more than happy to post somewhere.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 10:49:58 am »

Ok... had a little time to myself today due to absolutely crap weather and my heat pump's in pieces, so holed up in my computer room, i've just dabbled in the default.css file and using Firefox's really handy tool set to check what I was doing, i've just roughly changed a few things in the css file and it now looks a lot better on the iPhone, which is where most of my WLAN playing will be done - lounge room/BBQ, etc (;->

It's really nothing special, but if anyone else wanted the file, I'd be more than happy to post somewhere.

I wouldn't mind having a look. I assume you changed the one for html5 playback?
Pages: [1]   Go Up