INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC17 writes tags on its own  (Read 2486 times)

d2b

• Recent member
MC17 writes tags on its own
« on: July 16, 2012, 04:30:48 pm »

When MC17 reads tags from a FLAC file in order to update the library (via Tools > Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)), it writes a couple of Vorbis comments to the file and then modifies the File Modified Date. The new tags are TOOL NAME and TOOL VERSION. Those Media Center-spedific tags provide no value and should not be added willy-nilly when the application should simply read exisiting tags to update the library database.

No application should ever write tags to a file and change the file modified date unless the user wants to (and does) edit tags or make some other material change to the file. Having an application change the file modified date when in fact nothing was supposed to change makes it impossible to know when 'real' changes are made, i.e., when new tags are added or edited.

Having false file modified dates also makes it difficult to do meaningful file comparisons when moving files from a server to a local playback machine in our radio station studios. The system will 'think' that the files on the local machine are newer than the ones on the server.

Is there a way to prevent Media Center from tampering with the tags and thus changing the file modified date?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC17 writes tags on its own, without being told to do so!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 05:19:29 pm »

You can disable all tagging in Options > General > Update Tags When File Info Changes.

Or you can configure Auto-Import to not analyze files or get cover art, which are the only background activities that trigger tagging.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Scottes7

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 08:12:31 pm »

I just gave JMRC a try and it changed thousands of files before I realized that a background process was making the changes and killed it.

Is there any way to undo these changes, or get a list of what it changed? I found some MP3s that it changed, so I am restoring them from backup, but I have no idea what other files it changed.

I have to say that this really, REALLY sucks. At least now I know that it does this, and how to turn it off so it won't happen again.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 09:21:55 pm »

Why do you think MC changed your files?  What changed?  Why does it matter?

Scottes7

Re: MC17 writes tags on its own
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 04:50:40 am »

Because it said it was going to do so, and timestamps were changed in the period that it was running while nothing else was, right up until the point where I killed the process, and tags on these files were changed. Seriously, it changed my files, there is no doubt. It changed MP3 and FLAC tags and I'm not sure what else yet because I still need to do some investigation to get my files back to the way they were before this software decided to make some changes. Because I want my tags my way.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 05:15:15 am »

All tagging is completely optional (see above).

The tagging itself in Media Center is well respected and standards compliant.

If you don't have cover art or Replay Gain values in your tags, you should consider adding them.  You can run 'Analyze Audio' and 'Get Cover Art From Internet' manually if you're more comfortable with that.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Scottes7

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 07:33:54 am »

Never mind. I'll figure out a way to undo what I can. One customer lost. Thanks, J River!

rjm

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 09:04:40 am »

I recall being a new MC user and this was a huge deal for me. I had a large carefully tagged library, did not know or trust MC yet, and would have been really upset had MC changed my media files.

It is true that options that cause auto file updates (analyze, add cover art) can be turn off however there is no way a new user can be expected to know what or where these options are.

I think it would be wise to default update options off, or ask a question during install.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2012, 10:17:47 am »

This has been a non issue for years.  I'm sorry for Scottes7.  We think MC does a good job of balancing between what experts want and what beginners need.

Expect no changes.
Pages: [1]   Go Up